MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I am racing my 750 f4 evo 2 here in NZ and have fitted a STM slipper clutch which works well apart from the fact I can’t find neutral between 1st and 2nd with the engine running.
Not sure if I need to change the pressure spring or not.
Anyone else had issues with this?.
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
What makes you think it's the clutch? Sounds like an adjustment issue on the lever or the linkage. Do you have excess play on the clutch lever? How about on the shift linkage? I would start there unless you have a reason to suspect the actual slipper portion of the clutch.

You could put the bike on a center stand and then start it up and see if the clutch is still engaging with no input on the clutch lever. ( Some movement / freewheeling is normal at idle) if the clutch seems to be dragging you could adjust the free play.

Try cycling the lever and feel for engagement points.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What makes you think it's the clutch? Sounds like an adjustment issue on the lever or the linkage. Do you have excess play on the clutch lever? How about on the shift linkage? I would start there unless you have a reason to suspect the actual slipper portion of the clutch.

You could put the bike on a center stand and then start it up and see if the clutch is still engaging with no input on the clutch lever. ( Some movement / freewheeling is normal at idle) if the clutch seems to be dragging you could adjust the free play.

Try cycling the lever and feel for engagement points.

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
Thanks will try that

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
it did get a little more difficult to find neutral after i installed the stm also. i wrote it off to the clutch plates being different. never bothered to make any adjustments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
full disclosure here - no experience with stm slipper, but have just installed a ducati performance/bucci slipper on my 2008 hypermotard 1100
had the same problem - dragging and impossible to get neutral. kit came with no instructions, but have searched forums and found that clutch plate stack height is important - but no-one said what the stack height should be.
if you have detailed installation instructions that include stack height, then maybe revisit that
i started with too many plates (friction and steel) and have played with the number to get to a much better position
i too played with the clutch lever adjustment - it helped, but it wasn't till i reduced stack height that it was fixed
i found going back to basics and thinking about how a slipper works to be very helpful - its not rocket science
hope this helps
rory

·
Registered
351 Posts
New clutch plates will be thick and stack height at the upper tolerance. I have an STM slipper in my Brutale and Ducati. No issues finding neutral after a little break-in period.

When I emailed STM about the initial issue of not being able to shift into neutral the tech told me to ride for 100 miles then get back to him. Cheeky bugger.

·
Registered
910S
36 Posts
Seems like it’s the general consensus, but I had the same problem with a slipper I installed on my 748. Readjusted the stack height by about 0.3 mm and the problem lessened. 20 miles after that, the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
stock clutch slave cylinder?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts