MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this before? My bike is an 06 F4 which has covered 2k. This morning i leave for work, fly down my local bypass and go to shut off the throttle. The bike keeps accelerating at his normal rate of high knots! :later: so i manually twist the throttle back, pull over and check everything is wear it should i.e check the choke operation as mine doesnt work very well. But it still does it. After a 50 mile trip to work it hasnt got any better and even when revving at a standstill it doesnt return. Now i have read a few threads on the throttle performance and general consensus is that the springs are if anything more than effective for the job. So, does anyone know what the problem is, is it a case of some lube sprayed down the cables or is the problem not with the springs but something else?

Any advice gratefully received.

Rich

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could just be one throttle cable is slightly to tight in it's adjustment at the handle bar/throttle causing a binding, try just releasing the push cable/second throttle cable adjuster one turn at the handle bar/throttle. The throttle will snap back closed once u do this if it is the problem when u wind on the throttle & release it.(engine off)

Ps. u should have a little bit of play in the pull cable too, before it takes up that slight slack/play & starts to open the throttle, I don't like much play myself but if u have none it could hold the revs up & throttle on slightly.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Beware!!!
If remember it right there was a guy in an Italian MV forum who crashed because his MV throttle got sticked.
If i find the thread i'll send it to you although you probably won't understand Italian.

But see that your dealer checks your throttle before you keep riding your MV.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, just read the article on an Italian site (thanks MV-999r) and it seems there are a few cases of this, a couple not very pretty. what does seem odd is that there have been no reports of this over here that i have found, only in Italy, and my bike is an Official Uk bike its an Import, not sure if there is any link here, just seems a strange coincidence.

Thanks again tho

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe this has notting to do with the matter, but when I tightened the handlebar weights on my Brutale earlier, the same thing happened with my throttle... So now I know...

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
JamesC said:
Can you send it to me too Tiago? I don't remember those conversations..or was this the 1000S guy that hit the wall like a year ago??
Yes, that's the one James.
And looks like MV took responsability and fixed his bike. :smoking:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV05 EXY said:
Anyone had this before? My bike is an 06 F4 which has covered 2k. This morning i leave for work, fly down my local bypass and go to shut off the throttle. The bike keeps accelerating at his normal rate of high knots! :later: so i manually twist the throttle back, pull over and check everything is wear it should i.e check the choke operation as mine doesnt work very well. But it still does it. After a 50 mile trip to work it hasnt got any better and even when revving at a standstill it doesnt return. Now i have read a few threads on the throttle performance and general consensus is that the springs are if anything more than effective for the job. So, does anyone know what the problem is, is it a case of some lube sprayed down the cables or is the problem not with the springs but something else?

Any advice gratefully received.

Rich
Are you sure the throttles are not just freezing up? this noramlly happens on cold mornings at anything from about 6 or 7 deg c and colder, and when it's damp (sounds a bit like the UK today?) don't forget your throttles effectively let the air expand as it passes through, which makes it drop in temp, any moisture present will freeze :jsm:

A good way to prove this is to stop for 5 minutes and try again after the engine heat has melted the ice, also feel the injector body see if it's fffrreeeezzzziing :freezing:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hope Cagiva is aware of this issue.

This one is more serious than others I've read.

Imagine being in the canyons, and having the throttle stick. :jsm:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Are you sure the throttles are not just freezing up? this noramlly happens on cold mornings at anything from about 6 or 7 deg c and colder, and when it's damp (sounds a bit like the UK today?) don't forget your throttles effectively let the air expand as it passes through, which makes it drop in temp, any moisture present will freeze :jsm:

A good way to prove this is to stop for 5 minutes and try again after the engine heat has melted the ice, also feel the injector body see if it's fffrreeeezzzziing :freezing:
Heh, not funny on a bike, but this used to happen to me in my old VW.

On the way home to Tucson when I was in the Navy in San Diego, this would happen every time when crossing the mountains in the winter. But it's no problem in the VW, it made a nice cruise control :) The carb would freeze solid and I'd just let it go until I had to go downhill again. Shut it down, coast to the side of the road, and let it warm back up. I had an aftermarket exhaust that didn't have the carb heat riser.

As for the bike, there's not a hell of a lot of reasons the throttle can stick, so make sure all the obvious ones are checked. Bar end weights, make sure there is nothing stuck between the barrel and the bar, check the cable, check the linkage. Stuff can get jammed in there too. I had a friend crash on the track when a rock got stuck in the linkage.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
SOULRIDER said:
I hope Cagiva is aware of this issue.

This one is more serious than others I've read.

Imagine being in the canyons, and having the throttle stick. :jsm:

There have only been a couple worldwise. I wouldn't interpret a manufacturer helping with replacement as admission of guilt, necessarily :) I think it is MUCH more likely to be grip's thumb ring rubbing, problem with bar end or tech messing about with the throttle body rail than a manufacturing problem. Not like this is unique - I have a honda that has 'cruise control' in the garage right now!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
Heh, not funny on a bike, but this used to happen to me in my old VW.

On the way home to Tucson when I was in the Navy in San Diego, this would happen every time when crossing the mountains in the winter. But it's no problem in the VW, it made a nice cruise control :) The carb would freeze solid and I'd just let it go until I had to go downhill again. Shut it down, coast to the side of the road, and let it warm back up. I had an aftermarket exhaust that didn't have the carb heat riser.

As for the bike, there's not a hell of a lot of reasons the throttle can stick, so make sure all the obvious ones are checked. Bar end weights, make sure there is nothing stuck between the barrel and the bar, check the cable, check the linkage. Stuff can get jammed in there too. I had a friend crash on the track when a rock got stuck in the linkage.
Yeah! I had a Beetle thingy that did it as well, the carb riser heater pipe was blocked solid, I had to cut holes and poke it out! :jsm: then cover them with jubilee clips........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys - same thing on mine, after the service the handlebar weight was too tight and caused the throttle to stick. I also find however that the idle is too high, although after leaving at tick over for 30 secs or so it will drop down to the correct level - any ideas on what this is (I have already checked the free play in the throttle cables)

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
guys i started mine 06 f4 1000s up today for the 1st time in a month and guess what the throttle was sticking reving its nuts off
there doesn't seem to be much slack the either
hold the throttle shut and operate the throttle from the carbs and bingo returns to normal
its just the grip i think sticking maybe a bit of damp and corrosion going on in there somewhere
now i've removed the second spring cause it was to stiff and it never did this before so i'm presuming its the damp and cold as i'm in the uk
1 i haven't rode for 3 months
bad boy to busy with building work on house
i'd like to have a bit more slack
which adjuster do i need to alter for this

thanks
jas

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I had this problem a couple weeks ago...check your bar end. Loosen it, then check the throttle and see if it still sticks. Then tighten her back up, with it a LITTLE farther out to where it doesn't bind....

·
Registered
417 Posts
found same thing with mine today,the bar end was to tight against the rubber,and the only thing i had touching it in the night was the cover,just loosend it pulled it back a little and tightned it up, fine now

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well im surprised at all the replys saying the same thing, I called the RAC to mine as i was at work and had to get home, told him i thought it was the bar ends and he loosened it. Bingo. Seems that with they tighten somehow, perhaps its the way i grip the handle bar when i mount or dismount that just nips it up a little bit. very dangerous and touch wood no one will ever hurt themselves from this.
maybe it needs a washer or something?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts