MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last track day was cut short by a loose steering head collar. Not sure if people are aware of it, but the MV has a collar insert that can be swapped out to change the angle of the forks (rake). On my F41kS, this collar is now loose in the frame.

I believe this happened because I ran over a curb with the front wheel pretty good going through turn 13 @ Fontana. After that happened, I felt some odd movement in the front end.

Here's a photo of the steering head without the top triple clamp on.



The collar is held into the frame by the ring indicated with the orange arrow. I have ordered a tool from Performance Parts (Germany) that is used to tighten that collar.

FWIW, the bearing stack for the headset is actually held together by the "nut" show in blue.

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
acruhl said:
Wow, did you damage it or did it just come loose?

And that collar is threaded into the frame?
No, the collar it not threaded onto the frame - or rather the top of the steering head is not threaded and the collar doesn't screw into it.

If that makes sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
altoon said:
My last track day was cut short by a loose steering head collar. Not sure if people are aware of it, but the MV has a collar insert that can be swapped out to change the angle of the forks (rake). On my F41kS, this collar is now loose in the frame.


Alex
You may want to take it apart and check on the condition of the insert / collar. I understand that they can crack (or so I'm told) and that could be the reason why the steering head seems loose.

Seeing its half apart you may as well check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
acruhl said:
Wow, did you damage it or did it just come loose?
Just appears to be loose. There are no bearings between the collar and the frame. I will also check the bolt on the right side of the head tube to make sure it's tight. That bolt keeps the collar in the proper orientation.

acruhl said:
And that collar is threaded into the frame?
No, it's not threaded into the the frame. The collar is held in compression by the retaining ring (orange arrow). Turns out MV has another one they suggest for a 65-series tires (P/N 8000A6216).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deimh said:
You may want to take it apart and check on the condition of the insert / collar. I understand that they can crack (or so I'm told) and that could be the reason why the steering head seems loose.

Seeing its half apart you may as well check it out.
Awww, crap. That's not going to be easy for me to do. I don't have a good way right now to support the bike when the forks are removed.

I wonder if I can do an inspection without taking the entire front end apart? You can see the upper part of the collar, which I've highlighted in this photo:



Something tells me I gotta dig it all the way out of the bike to get a good look at it.

Well, thanks for the heads up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
after riding this weekend i noticed a tiny bit of slop in the bars. i think mine may need tightening after the accident too. there is a diagram on a site where you can buy the tool shows an exploded view of the assembly.

here it is.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah, that's the diagram for the steering head.

the thing that is loose on mine is #11 (again, orange arrow).

here's the tool i purchased to tighten it. you can get a similar tool from MV too

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Not sure if people are aware of it, but the MV has a collar insert that can be swapped out to change the angle of the forks (rake).
Aha! So *that's* how it's done. I'd wondered why there are spare steering-damper mounts, like the 748/9x6, but it doesn't have the eccentric adjustor like they do.

Do you actually have to swap the collar for a new item, or is it reversible?

Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's a whole new item - the collar that is (shown as #9 in the parts diagram above)

actually, it's sold as a "kit" which includes some of the retaining rings as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
do you have the other tool to tighten the nut? i don't know which is loose on mine, so i'm going to buy both the tools. and did you retorque to a specific number, or went on feel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the tool (many thanks to wolfgang, not so many thanks to DHL).

i tightened up the nut last night. wow! i thought it was only loose by 1/2 turn at most. not at all. i spun that nut 3 or 4 full turns! it must have been backing out for a long time, not just the last track day as i thought earlier.

i'm going to take this chance to pull the entire front end apart - do the bearing inspection and check that collar for cracks (as suggested). i'll take some photos and post 'em.

alex
 

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
Joined
·
6,135 Posts
altoon said:
Awww, crap. That's not going to be easy for me to do. I don't have a good way right now to support the bike when the forks are removed.

I wonder if I can do an inspection without taking the entire front end apart? You can see the upper part of the collar, which I've highlighted in this photo:



Something tells me I gotta dig it all the way out of the bike to get a good look at it.

Well, thanks for the heads up!
I think you all are very professional rider....
I love MV,but I dont understand all this particular regulation...
I think I'm the "rider of the Sunday"!! :moped:
pier



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
of course your are pier...you have a brute :naughty:

just kidding...and i think i need to buy the same tool. i bought the one for the nut and it's still torqued correctly. now i need the bigger one...i'd bet mine got shook up after my get off too. so did you have a torque spec that you tightened it too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MV-999R said:
altoon, have you ever rode with the closed angle?
you mean swapped the standard collar for the other one in the parts kit?
no.

for those of you playing along in the home game - the standard collar is for a 70 series tire (8AA090279). the 2nd one listed in the parts file is for a 65 series tire (8000A6216)

alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,387 Posts
altoon said:
you mean swapped the standard collar for the other one in the parts kit?
no.

for those of you playing along in the home game - the standard collar is for a 70 series tire (8AA090279). the 2nd one listed in the parts file is for a 65 series tire (8000A6216)

alex
Huh?
Nope. Can't you just turn the exccentric to change the steering angle? :wtf:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top