MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings folks,

Just got a call from the mechanic who works on my bike. When he test rode my bike last, he advised me that when braking there was some slight juddering, I had also noticed it. He advised that it is the steering bearings needing a little tightening.

I bought a 6 pin socket for him from design corse(yes I know there are cheaper tools to undo the steering special nut with 2 pins, but I wanted to be sure it wouldn't mark the soft Aluminium).

He says he has tightened the steering head(after slackening the yolks) but says there is still some slight play left he can't remove, he checked on the net to check he was tightening it correctly.

Does this mean that it is likely the tapered bearings themselves need replacing?
My bike(F4 750) has done 15,000 miles.

He isn't charging me for the work as he says he hasn't fixed it 100%. For now I suggested that I will see how I get on, and see how noticeable it now is under braking after his adjustment.
I didn't want a big bill at the moment, and as he is really busy at the moment(spring in Britain means everyone wants their bikes doing) and he didn't want what he thought would be a simple job turning into much bigger one. He seemed rather relieved at my suggestion.

Thanks for any advice!

Paul.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hey Paul, no taper bearing on that steering mate, have a search, you can replace them with taper bearings though.
Best to go though the whole system, remove the steering head bearing carrier, service the bearings or replace them, and do it up properly.
What you are doing with that little 6 hole nut is just pulling the steering shaft up to the top. Have a look in the manual, the carrier gets torqued up too.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Greetings folks,

Just got a call from the mechanic who works on my bike. When he test rode my bike last, he advised me that when braking there was some slight juddering, I had also noticed it. He advised that it is the steering bearings needing a little tightening.

I bought a 6 pin socket for him from design corse(yes I know there are cheaper tools to undo the steering special nut with 2 pins, but I wanted to be sure it wouldn't mark the soft Aluminium).

He says he has tightened the steering head(after slackening the yolks) but says there is still some slight play left he can't remove, he checked on the net to check he was tightening it correctly.

Does this mean that it is likely the tapered bearings themselves need replacing?
My bike(F4 750) has done 15,000 miles.

He isn't charging me for the work as he says he hasn't fixed it 100%. For now I suggested that I will see how I get on, and see how noticeable it now is under braking after his adjustment.
I didn't want a big bill at the moment, and as he is really busy at the moment(spring in Britain means everyone wants their bikes doing) and he didn't want what he thought would be a simple job turning into much bigger one. He seemed rather relieved at my suggestion.

Thanks for any advice!

Paul.

Paul,

You didn't mention the big 12 -point bearing carrier ring tool. That has to be tightened to 125nM..The ball bearings is preloaded to plus 10 degrees angle.

Give me a ring if you like and I'll talk you through it. Would definitely be worth following the procedure before stripping your bearings,

Joe

07875 299281

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks alot Donsy and joe. I will print it off for my mech, joe sort of embarasing to ask but just in the off chance my mech does get stuck(I haven't talked to him)although given time and the info he should be fine, can he give you a ring? Maybe this is a dumb request on my part, because perhaps it's unnecessary as it's a straight forward job?

Talking to someone who has done certain jobs can make life so much simpler one would imagine?
I say this in ignorance, but sometimes I think the MV intimidates him slightly, particulary getting caught up time wise when he is pushed for time with any peculiarities specific to odd bikes like the MV and the concern of doing any damage.

Seen as labour charges are high, would it be better to bang in a new set of bearings and a seal while it's all in bits, or is this unnecessary because it will purely be a free play issue?
Cheers, you dudes are great!

Paul.

Edit, I was just talking to Chris at Xbikes, nice chap, very helpful(will be doing some work for me when I have saved up) He says another thing to look out for(but he's only seen it twice) is the outer collar underneath the headstock come loose. He says it's something to check for, and told be how to get my my mech to check for it.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Thanks alot Donsy and joe. I will print it off for my mech, joe sort of embarasing to ask but just in the off chance my mech does get stuck(I haven't talked to him)although given time and the info he should be fine, can he give you a ring? Maybe this is a dumb request on my part, because perhaps it's unnecessary as it's a straight forward job?

Talking to someone who has done certain jobs can make life so much simpler one would imagine?
I say this in ignorance, but sometimes I think the MV intimidates him slightly, particulary getting caught up time wise when he is pushed for time with any peculiarities specific to odd bikes like the MV and the concern of doing any damage.

Seen as labour charges are high, would it be better to bang in a new set of bearings and a seal while it's all in bits, or is this unnecessary because it will purely be a free play issue?
Cheers, you dudes are great!

Paul.

No worries at all Paul. I only know because I have done it.

I would say though that if the grease is as old as the bike it could do with stripping and cleaning the bearings/inspection/regreasing or if needs be replacement.

A characteristic of worn bearings is indexing particularly in the straight ahead position.

If your tech hasn't got the 12 point tool I can loan it to you...Whichever way the wind blows you will need the tool and they cost about £ 100.00

Joe

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your tech hasn't got the 12 point tool I can loan it to you...Whichever way the wind blows you will need the tool and they cost about £ 100.00

Joe
Yikes, £100. Thanks for the offer, may have to take you up on that, or go to Xbikes, which would I think be easier on us both, He is only 25 miles away, it's getting there and back unless I can hang around the town whilst the job is done. Going to pick the bike up in a few minutes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the outer collar underneath the headstock isn't loose, but riding back from the mech's under medium excelleration, and i'm quite sure it's not just me being paranoid, but there now seems to be a high pitched metallic resonance/rattle sound coming from the cock pit so to speak, which makes me nervous!
Is this high pitched rattle possible if he has disturbed something, or got something wrong, sounds like somethings loose?

My mech says he wants to strip it right down, but maybe I should just take it to Chris at Xbikes, at least he has all the tools.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Well the outer collar underneath the headstock isn't loose, but riding back from the mech's under medium excelleration, and i'm quite sure it's not just me being paranoid, but there now seems to be a high pitched metallic resonance/rattle sound coming from the cock pit so to speak, which makes me nervous!
Is this high pitched rattle possible if he has disturbed something, or got something wrong, sounds like somethings loose?

My mech says he wants to strip it right down, but maybe I should just take it to Chris at Xbikes, at least he has all the tools.

Bert,

Have a cup of tea and relax :)

The rattling is most likely a loose mirror or the fairing stay is loose or the side plates which mount to the headlight are loose.

Just have a close look at it and check these items...The tools you need to tighten these items are in your tool set..

Shame you don't live close by I'd gladly help you .

JOe

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already checked the mirrors, I do it routinely now as one nearly fell off in Norfolk. But my mech never took the fairing off in the first place.

Anyway one has conversed with X-bikes, who are kindly going to picking it up and are only charging me the fuel(that's what they said they do normally). Whilst she's there I will take the opportunity to get the Hub serviced, and get the suspension tweaked by Chris because my Italian mistress likes to throw me out of the saddle when the going gets bumpy.
Now I'm just planning a route of long walks in full leathers, Trains and Taxi's to pick her up again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts