MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the 7500 mile service I adjusted my head bearings following the method in the shop manual, as near as I can interpret what they meant. It's pretty vague the way they describe the procedure as "screw the pin down without tightening." Initially I turned the steering pin nut down until it just made light contact, then added 10 degrees. Still had the clicking and it felt like something was loose when riding on bumpy roads.

Next I tried tightening it by hand until it was "snug" (wouldn't turn any further), then added 10 degrees. This seems to have eliminated the looseness I felt, but I both still hear a dull "clack" sound when you roll the bike forward slowly and grab the front brake abruptly. You can feel it in the clip-ons. The noise sounds to me like a small hammer tap on hard, thick plastic. Possibly this is due to the front rotors floating on the hubs? I don't know. When I hold the front brake on and rock the bike forward, pushing down on the grips, there is no noise or movement felt in the clip-ons.

Does anyone know what is meant in the shop book when they say to screw the pin down w/o tightening? How "snug" should it be before adding the 10 degrees?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I go by feel when adjusting the steering head bearings. You'll hear the floating rotors if you roll the bike and put on the brakes, so don't go by that sound. I tighten until I begin to feel a binding in the lock to lock travel of the forks, then back the torque off 1/4 turn, and check again. I don't go by the torque spec because the spec is used when the top triple is removed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts