MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STEELHORSE CLASSICS WILLIAMBURG, VA

Just wanted share my worst shop visit ever:
I took my bike to them to have my timing chain adjuster changed under the service bulletin that ended up to costing 750.00 in the end and over 2 1/2 months in shop WTF... Thats not the worsted part it gets better. It was in shop that long because of a gasket that they were having trouble getting from MV which I understand due to there system change but I made one phone call to FBF and they had it in stock and would ship it to them, lord knows how long it would of been in there if I didn't call...
But it still gets worst.... I went to pickup my bike and when I looked at it I almost cryed, the steering dampner bolts were sticking half way out, the 2 rubber garment in the air box were stripped and broke, the gas tank and air box had a big gap between them and didn't line up, my front fork seal were leaking real bad, had a puddle setting on the rim (they didn't when I dropped it off), it had a big scratch on the belly pan that still had the paint strip still hanging there and lastly was they didn't even bother wiping there greasy ass finger prints of the fairings everything was covered with oily finger prints........ They acted like it was no big issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I wrote a letter to the owner and waited for a response, but never responded back. I gave them a chance but I guess they didn't care. I will never go back to them again, I'll drive the extra miles to go to different shop.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sounds very much like a certain Ducati dealer here in Melbourne Australia.
F..king hopeless and not good enough.
Will never be back there again.
Having said that I did get a reply from the head honcho in Sydney after contacting him.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
With a name like Steel Horse, they don't sound like the specialize in MV Agustas.

If you are in Virgina, why didn't you go to Duc Pond? I've been dealing with them for a while and they sound like they know what they are doing and take great care of your bike.

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I would also recommend Duc Pond in VA. Donnie over there takes good care of people, and italian bikes!!

Sorry to hear about the screw up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is not normal service for Steelhorse Classics.

Did LA do the work?

Have you talked to Doug Smith, the manager?

Have you contacted Carol or Mike Warner the owners?

Mike owns several MV's including a CC, LA owns a Brutale. I'm not to sure about Doug, but these people are passionate about MV's, are MV owners and are good people.

This is a shop that specializes in MV's and Moto Guzzi.

I would not have picked up the bike and or paid for the work wothout discussing your concerns with a manager or owner.

Either you are leaving part of the story out for some reason or you have something to hide. You just do not write a letter to the owner when your $25,000 bike has allegedly been damaged by a shop.

What gives?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I talked to everybody there but the owner, tryed to tell me that they didn't do that or acted like it wasn't a big deal, owner wasn't there at the time, I had to drive almost 2hrs threw traffic to get there just to see my bike in this condition, I wasn't about to let them work on it again hard to tell what else would of happen, theirs nothing they could do now to get me to bring my bike back there again! Its been over two weeks now and no response either he doesn't care or his co workers never gave him the letter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I used to go the DUC Pond when I live in WV and thats one of my top two bike shops to go for work. Its about a 4-5 hr drive there, but thats were I will go from now on for major work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
only issue is that ducpond is no longer an authorized dealer of mv. great shop that does great work but if you need warranty work since they are no longer a dealer they can't do that work.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm going to post here again to try and shed some light on the situation.

I live 30 minutes from Steelhorse Classics, they are indeed a shop that specializes in MV bikes, employ factory trained mechanics and have one of the cleanest shops I have ever seen in person in my 46 years.

The mechanics Doug and LA are both MV enthusiasts and owners.

The owner Mike owns several MV's including a F4 CC that sits in the showroom on display for all to see when he's not tracking it or riding it on the street. Yes it has miles on it.

I've been in contact with the owner Mike since I first saw this thread. I've traded several emails with him and I can say this, he has a very different story to tell than the OP.

I urge any of you near Williamsburg Virginia that need warranty or regular service work to give Steelhorse Classics the benefit of the doubt and allow them to work on your bike. I believe with all my heart you will not be unhappy with that Steelhorse or their employees do for you.

Moral of the story.... There are three sides to every story, your side, my side and what actually happened.

I believe the OP has left out a considerable amount of info about his experience at Steelhorse Classics.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A response from the business on the MV forum.
Yes, I too would like to hear the complete story.

I purchased my 2010 F4 last month from Steel Horse and I'm scheduled to have my 1st maintenance soon.

I met and spoke with all the crew at Steel Horse when I picked up my bike, including the owners, and they all seemed like good people.

But FBF is only 30 miles more for me to drive to get (what I've heard) is superior service. So it's no skin off my ass if I drive north another 20 minutes rather than south. However, I'd like to give SteelHorse my business since I purchased the bike from them.

So I'd like to know ..... thumbs up or down.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not saying there not nice people, what i'm saying is my bike came back to me in a condition that should have never happened from a dealer that sales high end motorcycle. Yes they fixed the big problem but caused alot of other ones. 4 of the issues should have never been an issue: bolts in steering dampner sticking out half way, come on now they should of seen that when they took it for the test ride, the gas tank and air box had a big gap big as my pinky and the gas tank was higher than the air box, should of seen that during test ride too, your looking right at it. the rubber garments being stripped out, most people that own a MV knows your not supose to torque them down, you would think a MV shop would no this. I'm still trying to figure out how they blew my front fork seal out, i have a wire tie on my front fork and it was bottomed all the way out, so either they were doing wheelie during the test ride or as the one guy was explaining to me is that when the put the bike on the bike lift the pull the front of the bike down tight in the wheel choke with straps, shouldn't have to pull it down that tight, you would think they would of said something about it leaking when i came to pick it up , the stratch in the belly pan should of never happened. Maybe I'm to anal about my bike but it should of came out of shop the same as it went in minus the orginal problem and should of least wiped the oily finger prints off the the fairings, oils not good for the paint.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Sorry Mate

You might be right but your credibility has taken a bit of a step bachwards after what you tried to do with the guy who sold you his Brutale http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40136
In my eye's at least, I would love to hear the other side of the story.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I posted my experience I had with this shop, if you want to take your bike there go ahead, I'm not.

As far as the post you posted, I didn't try to do anything to the guy, I never said anybodies name, simply posted my issues, I have since fixed them and love my bike now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts