MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So despite almost 5 years of riding motorcycles, I'm still somewhat noobish about the goods, bads and uglies of these awesome machines, especially when it comes to the engine, transmission and whatnot. I've made it a point to learn more about motorcycles and increasing my general automotive knowledge this year (signing up for a certification course at the local city college in the fall.)

My question is whether or not it's acceptable to ride entirely within first gear on short hops, like 3-4 miles, in the city. I'm far more comfortable riding in the higher RPMs and relying on engine braking, especially since I hardly go over 40mph in SF (love how the Brutale can hit 67 in 1st!). My Monster 900 required a shift into second over 30mph, otherwise it would get a bit too unstable - not so much the case with the Brutale.

Is riding in 1st detrimental to the engine and long-term performance of the bike? Or does it not make much of a difference? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, -m

·
Registered
84 Posts
Riding in first gear on the Brutale? oooooh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooooh 'that's bad' or ooooh 'such an awesome sound'?

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
I personally wouldn't sit in first gear at extreme revs at a constaint pace

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering the amount of hills in SF, timing of stoplights to/from work and road conditions, it feels *far* more comfortable in first (though I'm sure my comfort doesn't necessarily equate to what's good for the bike). For the most part, I stay under 7k RPM, never exceeding 45mph except for when I rip through one corridor.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i would imagine you MPG is gonna take a dump and maybe the engine run hot. I wouldnt do it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts