MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm at a stand still. Just did my annual maintenance, new oil/filter, new coolant, and now the bike wont run. It turns over and fires up, but wont stay running, if I try to throttle her up she shuts off.

p.s. she did run the day I did the services, this is the next day. 2005 Brutale 750

Help please!

·
Administrator
20,390 Posts
Sounds like maybe one of the fuel hoses is pinched closed? If it ran before you worked on it, then go back and look at everything you disconnected during the service.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
+1

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Sounds like maybe one of the fuel hoses is pinched closed? If it ran before you worked on it, then go back and look at everything you disconnected during the service.

+2
Make sure the fuel pump is pressuring up and also that you are not getting a vacuum in the fuel tank, also try starting it with an open filler cap. Check all the hoses on the fuel pump assembly and finally if all else fails change the fuel filter as a precaution

:smoking:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got it. The TPS had somehow gone out of wack. I plugged in the VDSTS and readjusted it to 1.7, and she runs like a dream. It was reading 1.5, which is within the acceptable range, but it just would not keep running at that setting. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I finally got it. The TPS had somehow gone out of wack. I plugged in the VDSTS and readjusted it to 1.7, and she runs like a dream. It was reading 1.5, which is within the acceptable range, but it just would not keep running at that setting. Thanks for the replies guys.

Glad you got it sorted old bean

:yo:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, my previous post was premature. I rode the bike for bout 40 minutes and it ran great. I tried to start it a few hours later, and the same thing, starts, but wont keep running.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had been fighting a similar issue since August. Got a volt meter and found out my regulator on the alternator was throwing out the wrong current and the bike would start but not run. $100 for a new regulator and was back in business. If this is it, talk to me before you take it out, is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, what is the method for testing the regulator? Had the problem 6 months ago but it went away after I re-routed the fuel pipes, I thought they were trapped. Its come back again so have changed the fuel filter and pipes in the tank as a precaution and made sure the pipes have not been kinked anywhere, could I really be looking a charging system problem?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, if it ran, you just set the volt meter to check for ac current and touch the battery while running. If not running, have to pull it out and take it to a Denso Alternator repair shop. They will spin it on their bench and tell you. My problem was intermittent for awhile to and now is full blown. I have put in 2 New regulators and a whole new alternator and new battery and something in the bike keeps blowing the reg. She sits lifeless at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
22,642 Posts
Jason, what was the last thing done to your bike before the regulaor issue started rearing its ugly head?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Well, if it ran, you just set the volt meter to check for ac current and touch the battery while running. If not running, have to pull it out and take it to a Denso Alternator repair shop. They will spin it on their bench and tell you. My problem was intermittent for awhile to and now is full blown. I have put in 2 New regulators and a whole new alternator and new battery and something in the bike keeps blowing the reg. She sits lifeless at the moment.

Holy crap Jason ..that's terrible news . My friend Ally is a degree level electrical engineer. I'll ring him tomorrow and see if can shed any light on this..

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,642 Posts
I am thinking there is something pinched in the loom with a dead short to ground....

·
Registered
871 Posts
The last thing done was it was painted.

·
Registered
871 Posts
No mechanical mods done, nothing related to performance, all that was done awhile ago and she was fine for a long time.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm debating on starting at the battery and working my way to the stater, cutting off the black wrapping to inspect the wires, will a see an obvious point of failure, I hope if this is the case? Is this the next course of action or is there some way to check wiring for bad spots without it running?

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Process of elimination.

My first plan would be to fit another fuel pump that I know is OK, that way its something that can be eliminated off the list.

It sounds like fuel (or lack of it thereof) to me, the tank could possibly be vacuuming everything mentioned so far points in that direction.​

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Hi, what is the method for testing the regulator? Had the problem 6 months ago but it went away after I re-routed the fuel pipes, I thought they were trapped. Its come back again so have changed the fuel filter and pipes in the tank as a precaution and made sure the pipes have not been kinked anywhere, could I really be looking a charging system problem?

Guys are we getting a cross over here. Jason's problem is electrical I understand with a voltage regulator issue.

Malcolm your problem is with your fuel delivery we/you suspect, so are you referring to the fuel pressure regulator ?

joe :ahhh:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts