MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, just got on my bike and started it. Rolled down the driveway and stalled. Went to start it again and nothing. No response from the start button. No kill switch, stand up, gear lever in. Have tried over and over. Battery is good.

When I turn the ignition on, I get the whirring noise under the fuel tank, but it keeps going, and I get no response from the start button.

Anyone with advice as to what it might be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sputnik, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a fuel line failure in tank, or pressure regular in tank.
Hi Donsy, thanks for the welcome. Would the fuel line problem mean I get nothing from the start switch? And more importantly, am I going to have to get it on a trailer to the workshop?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing, I was looking under the seat around the battery and found two ends of a cable that were disconnected. Not 100% convinced they are supposed to go together but wondering if there's something more to this perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
If the fuel pump keeps going then the ECU will not give a spark signal, I think that's how it works on your model.
Best have the dealer sort it, warranty still going?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the fuel pump keeps going then the ECU will not give a spark signal, I think that's how it works on your model.
Best have the dealer sort it, warranty still going?
Doubt the warranty is still going. I don't go back to the dealer for servicing, there's a guy in Melbourne who is the guru for Italian bikes. Can't go past him. I have a charger connected already, so guessing the wires are for something else, will take a photo.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The whirring noise is possibly the exhaust flapper valve motor. Part of the key on routine is a cycle of the flapper to check the full open and close positions. It is located on the left side frame under the tank.
When you turn the key on, do you get the 'ok' on the display before you press the start button?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The whirring noise is possibly the exhaust flapper valve motor. Part of the key on routine is a cycle of the flapper to check the full open and close positions. It is located on the left side frame under the tank.
When you turn the key on, do you get the 'ok' on the display before you press the start button?
Yeah, I'm getting the OK before trying to start (though I haven't always waited for this).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did you check the wiring to the starter solenoid? It's the black box with a white 4 port connector and two high voltage connections (one to the battery. Mine melted down last week and caused starting problems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Had the same symptoms with mine, I thought it was the starter relay but it turned out to be the clutch switch. Pull the 2 connectors out from just under the clutch lever, clean them up & tape them together then try to start. I hit the connectors with fine emery paper, gave the female part of the switch a squirt of contact cleaner, fixed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the same symptoms with mine, I thought it was the starter relay but it turned out to be the clutch switch. Pull the 2 connectors out from just under the clutch lever, clean them up & tape them together then try to start. I hit the connectors with fine emery paper, gave the female part of the switch a squirt of contact cleaner, fixed!
How did you first notice the problem? Was it just dead all of a sudden like mine? My mechanic (over the phone) has indicated he thinks it might be the ECU .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I've had an intermittent issue with mine clutch switch too. Had to wiggle the pin a couple of times before I could get it to turn over.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Might not be the same but could be... With mine, turn key on , all good, wait for OK,pull clutch, press start nothing happens. Get a helpful friend to wiggle the pin you can see on the switch behind the clutch lever once you have pulled it, turns over and starts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might not be the same but could be... With mine, turn key on , all good, wait for OK,pull clutch, press start nothing happens. Get a helpful friend to wiggle the pin you can see on the switch behind the clutch lever once you have pulled it, turns over and starts.
will give it a go

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think Donsy's comment on the in-tank fuel lines is an easy check, just look in the tank with a flashlight while it's whirring. If you see bubbles, or lots of gas movement, then your line needs replacing. It's worth checking your starter solenoid wires to see if their visibly exposed. Takes a couple seconds and worth cleaning up if they are as the connector is probably shorting, had that issue myself.

Just make sure it's not in gear with the stand down :stickpoke

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think Donsy's comment on the in-tank fuel lines is an easy check, just look in the tank with a flashlight while it's whirring. If you see bubbles, or lots of gas movement, then your line needs replacing. It's worth checking your starter solenoid wires to see if their visibly exposed. Takes a couple seconds and worth cleaning up if they are as the connector is probably shorting, had that issue myself.

Just make sure it's not in gear with the stand down :stickpoke
Will have a look for the bubbles. Where are the starter solenoid wires?

Don't worry I checked all the obvious ones (kill switch, gears) several times. It started, died and then the start button just went dead.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts