MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 months in and I dropped my B3 800 at the shop to have the battery checked out since starting has been getting a little more difficult. They couldn't find a problem - so far. Seems they tried to update their TEXA and it failed. Now they're trying to get assistance to fix it from the Italians who are on holiday! So it sounds like that made proper diagnosis difficult. They were also talking about a map update, but I hadn't heard about anything new from here, so I have my doubts that there is actually any new update.

I have the impression that there can be problems with the batteries on these bikes, but I've not been able to find a definitive thread on this forum. Have others had starting problems, and is it usually the battery or is it something else? The shop talked a bit about the battery tender, but I don't see why I should need to use that if I'm riding every day. They've suggested that I may need to use it over the next few weeks if starting gets worse before they get their TEXA back up and running. Anyone got any tips?

Also the brake lever rubber has split open and they'll replace that under warranty. Anyone else had issues with the pedal rubbers splitting?

·
Registered
170 Posts
No map can fix starting issues. Only a new sprag does. Contact your dealer and tell him to order one and instal it. your issues will be solved. Though I question the knowledge your dealer has since this is a known issue and has been addressed by MV Agusta. Get a sprag.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So how does the sprag affect starting? It seems to me like a lack of juice. Also it seems to be only when cold.

I've got no idea what the map stuff was about unless it was to do with diagnosis tools.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have problems starting my F3 675. Wasn't always like that. now they are thinking of a problem with fuel having issues getting to the injectors.

They asked me to try a few things, since i need to go back and didn't felt like living my bike there (they just ordered parts from Italy).

SO it's turning but not starting, needs 3 - 4 trial of cranking

·
Registered
292 Posts
2 months in and I dropped my B3 800 at the shop to have the battery checked out since starting has been getting a little more difficult. They couldn't find a problem - so far. Seems they tried to update their TEXA and it failed. Now they're trying to get assistance to fix it from the Italians who are on holiday! So it sounds like that made proper diagnosis difficult. They were also talking about a map update, but I hadn't heard about anything new from here, so I have my doubts that there is actually any new update.

I have the impression that there can be problems with the batteries on these bikes, but I've not been able to find a definitive thread on this forum. Have others had starting problems, and is it usually the battery or is it something else? The shop talked a bit about the battery tender, but I don't see why I should need to use that if I'm riding every day. They've suggested that I may need to use it over the next few weeks if starting gets worse before they get their TEXA back up and running. Anyone got any tips?

Also the brake lever rubber has split open and they'll replace that under warranty. Anyone else had issues with the pedal rubbers splitting?
maybe check my posts on my starting problems, seem similar but is good now. Our bikes are from the same source. I got the Sprag replacement in a day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My starting symptoms have been:
- generally starts well, but sometimes doesn't fire on the first turn
- occasionally (when cold) I need to stop and try again - it usually fires on the second try.
- the other (cold) morning, it turned over a bit sluggishly a couple of times then made a loud "clack" sound. Did this a second time. Third time it was much slower turning over, but fired just as it seemed about to stop. Phew!
- back to the usual since then.

Does any of this sound familiar?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Starter sprag clutch on the way out

- occasionally (when cold) I need to stop and try again - it usually fires on the second try.
- the other (cold) morning, it turned over a bit sluggishly a couple of times then made a loud "clack" sound. Did this a second time. Third time it was much slower turning over, but fired just as it seemed about to stop. Phew!

Familiar, oh yes, the clack sound is the sprag clutch beginning to break, happened to my B800, on sprag number three now which is the re-designed sprag clutch and all seems well, time will tell. Bike now on 5k miles.

Sluggish turning is most likely battery related, I fitted a Yuasa and that certainly is a far better battery than the one fitted from the factory.

·
Registered
292 Posts

tell your dealer to get you a new Sprag clutch as you are having starting issues. They should know of this issue. If not email them the link to this forums thread on this problem. {All stuff I did with my dealer}
They will contact MV NZ who know of the problem and promptly sent down a new one. There is a ton of talk in threads on this problem on the forum.
Be prepared for your gear indicator to fail next, keep half an eye out. If it flickers from showing one gear to another without you changing gear then it's on its way out. An easy warranty fix/replacement.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Damn it FrazerDude you jinxed me, Sprag 2 has failed me over the weekend now. All the old signs and symptoms of erratic bad starting are back after !500kms on new Sprag. At least i found it bump starts easily in 3rd on a hill.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Unfortunate. Do you think your replacement was the original or updated sprag? I had difficulty with a hot start today, so it seems to be getting worse. Is this the thread I should be directing my dealer to? http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71770
Mine is starting usually no problem when cold, but turn it off and try starting again soon after and it plays up.
It seems the thing with the Sprag issue is that it varies a lot with different bikes, but ultimately it doesn't fire when it should and the battery seems full of juice. Also with time once it starts playing up the symptons can change.
The fact that the bikes go perfectly when running and how easily it bumped started shows that the problem lies somewhere in the starting process surely.
Your dealer should know of this issue, it's very common. That thread is definitely one of them.
I want to know myself if the replacement I got was a newer type. I'm waiting for an answer. I'm not sure there actually is a newer version or if that was just an idea that a forum member got from their mechanic.

·
Registered
292 Posts
3rd Sprag installed today, weirdly bike has started well since last weekend when I had the starting troubles again, especially the hot starts.
Mechanic said the replaced Sprag was showing signs of wear/damage. Supposedly this 2nd unit was the new version. So 3 Sprags in 8000kms. Hope this latest holds out. Glad I'm not paying for them.
Whatever, the bikes worth a little hassle every now and then. Could be worse, I could be nannying around on one of those horrible gold RR's looking like Liberace.:nutkick:

·
Registered
56 Posts
tell your dealer to get you a new Sprag clutch as you are having starting issues. They should know of this issue. If not email them the link to this forums thread on this problem. {All stuff I did with my dealer}
They will contact MV NZ who know of the problem and promptly sent down a new one. There is a ton of talk in threads on this problem on the forum.
Be prepared for your gear indicator to fail next, keep half an eye out. If it flickers from showing one gear to another without you changing gear then it's on its way out. An easy warranty fix/replacement.
My gear indicator is doing this. My bike is going to the dealer next week. I told him of my starting issues. He told me I prob got bad gas. He didn't know too much about the sprag issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still need to contact my dealer and link him to these threads. Hopefully get to that this week. But gee the engine is sweet on these bikes isn't it? With such a glorious run of late winter weather this weekend, I really need to find some excuses to get out between all the kids sport.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Starting (pardon the pun) to have issues starting my less than 2 month old F3 800. On a couple of occasions the starter has made a horrible "clacking" noise, then it takes at least 3 good long pushes on the starter to get it to go. I've found when it doesn't want to start if I rock it forward in gear it seams to start right up so I'm assuming it's the sprag which is at fault?
Getting a bit sick and tired of this bike. How are MV releasing bikes with such poor build quality?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Greeny,

Your bike has a failing starter clutch sprag, welcome to the ever growing club, I have a B800 and am on my third one, the last one fitted was supposedly an improved item, I have very little faith it will last.

Speak to your dealer, describe the fault, it should not be a surprise to them and get them to order in a replacement. Do not be fobbed off with BS. Get it fitted ASAP, before like me you have been stranded by this issue and have to keep calling the recovery services to get you home.

jimboF4

·
Registered
292 Posts
Starting (pardon the pun) to have issues starting my less than 2 month old F3 800. On a couple of occasions the starter has made a horrible "clacking" noise, then it takes at least 3 good long pushes on the starter to get it to go. I've found when it doesn't want to start if I rock it forward in gear it seams to start right up so I'm assuming it's the sprag which is at fault?
Getting a bit sick and tired of this bike. How are MV releasing bikes with such poor build quality?
If my replacement Sprag was showing wear after less than 2000kms, though I start it a couple of times daily, then one can assume the Sprag manufacturer is skimping on quality somewhat.
I personally think MV is doing well with there build quality it's just some of the parts they source aren't up to scratch. Being such a small bike producer it must be hard to get top notch stuff all the time without making an unaffordable bike for the consumer.
MV always puts it right ASAP in my experience. It's just a numbers game as to the little problems we MV owners endure. More sales less likely hood of getting a problem part probably. The F3 800 is just a delight to look at, I'd love one if it wouldn't kill my back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3rd Sprag installed today, weirdly bike has started well since last weekend when I had the starting troubles again, especially the hot starts.
Mechanic said the replaced Sprag was showing signs of wear/damage. Supposedly this 2nd unit was the new version. So 3 Sprags in 8000kms. Hope this latest holds out. Glad I'm not paying for them.
Whatever, the bikes worth a little hassle every now and then. Could be worse, I could be nannying around on one of those horrible gold RR's looking like Liberace.:nutkick:
Darn, it seems you may have gotten the last sprag in the country. My dealer admitted that it could be the sprag. They wanted me to stop in so they could download the faults, place the claim and start stripping it for replacement the following day. I suggested they check if the part is available first. Seems Triumph NZ is out and have them on back order. Darn you aiki. :)

Anyway they were saying something about a run of sprags being overpacked with grease which somehow blocks some oil passages. These need to be cleaned out as part of the work. They wondered whether a failure by the tech to do this could cause the multiple failures some people are experiencing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts