MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, if I can't find one over here, I will give you a shout.

The previous eBay one I got worked for a 10 min test ride, then the battery light came on and it actually turned the bike over on its own without the key in the ignition !

I paid a little more for a Yamaha one on eBay this time ( showed Yamaha part no. on the back in the pic ) but turned out to be nothing more than a £5 generic and the spades are bent sideways where the fold has been pressed at an angle !

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
Perhaps I should look at mine a bit more closely!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got another one sent out with much apology about the issue with the first.

Made up a new starter / earth loom with 16mm flexi cable - thanks to Jimbo for the use of his crimping tool ?

Original fault - I was just getting a click from the relay when trying to start - gradually getting more frequent.

The cables made no difference to the issue although it now turns over much faster than it ever has - the new relay has cured the problem....so far, time will tell.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
FWIW I found the best bang for buck was the battery. I replaced the solenoid and the cables, but this was nothing compared to changing batteries. I have always used Yuasa with an optimate 4, but there is definitely manufacturing differences. I recently replaced after 7 years, massive difference in cranking speed.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
16mm sq flexi cables were £16, enough for 2 bikes, starter relay was £18, Arrowhead copy of the Yamaha one.

Already had the 16mm X 6mm terminals.

I have a Ballistic lithium battery in there - for maybe 7 years or so..
Keep it in the house over winter and balance charge it now and again.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did my mates as well...was also slow to turn over.
Found the starter relay contacts full of dirty greasy crap and pitted.

When pulling the boot off the positive starter terminal, the original crimp just came off !

Made a new loom, again with the 16mm cables and new starter relay - totally different when you hit the starter.

This was on a 2007 F4 1000 R

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
That's why my bikes are fitted with MotoElectric Oxygen Free cables.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts