MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'10 F4 --> When I turn the key, everything comes on as usual as far as lights and cluster.

When I go to start the bike, I hear a "click" and a long pause (sometimes there is a "wine" coming from the relay next to the battery - like a squeak fart - for lack of a better description) and the cluster dims a bit and then refreshes as if I had turned the key again. I thought the battery was the issue and switched it out. Same problem.

I am now guessing the starter relay has gone bad. All fuses are intact. Also, there is now fuel spilling out from the bottom of my headers (a constant drip). Is this from priming the fuel pump multiple times?? I've never seen/heard of that before.

Anyone else have an opinion before I order the starter relay Monday? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried bridging across the contact's on the starter relay ? Or giving the bike a push start?
Just bridged them outside a few minutes ago. Nothing happened. No spark. Engine won't turn. Only thing you hear is fuel pump prime on key turn and solenoid 'click'.

That's it. Fuel is still leaking from the bottom of the headers. It's not any of the hoses from the tank. WTH is down there?!?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This thing is going back to the dealer. It's still under warranty but I hate dealing with those guys. Such a-holes.

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
Well, now, I do believe Dons is correct. Yes, if you put another P.O.S. Koyo back in , then the battery is probably dead..or not inititially charfged well. A new battery requires a 24 hour initializing charge to get it right. The KOYO batteries are junk and there is plenty of information to back that up here with a search.

Before you go spending dough, hook up you car battery to your system...DO NOT START YOUR CAR...and see if things come alive...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, now, I do believe Dons is correct. Yes, if you put another P.O.S. Koyo back in , then the battery is probably dead..or not inititially charfged well. A new battery requires a 24 hour initializing charge to get it right. The KOYO batteries are junk and there is plenty of information to back that up here with a search.

Before you go spending dough, hook up you car battery to your system...DO NOT START YOUR CAR...and see if things come alive...
Thanks, guys. I will get another battery tomorrow and let it sit on the charger overnight and give it one more try before I send it off.

Any battery you would recommend personally?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
So I did not respond sooner mate, I had to leave as I was running a Track day at one of the local tracks yesterday.
Steve, if you bridged the main contacts on the start solenoid, the starter must spin, if it does not, it's stuffed or the battery is that dead. It's still under warranty so I would take it to the dealer. The Yuasa batteries seem to do the trick for most guys, certainly better than the Koyo stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I did not respond sooner mate, I had to leave as I was running a Track day at one of the local tracks yesterday.
Steve, if you bridged the main contacts on the start solenoid, the starter must spin, if it does not, it's stuffed or the battery is that dead. It's still under warranty so I would take it to the dealer. The Yuasa batteries seem to do the trick for most guys, certainly better than the Koyo stuff.
Thank you, Dons.

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
I just read your profile, Steve...are you actually a Chicago DJ?

I have a 2010 Brutale 1090RR that came with a Koyo that was bad from the start. I put in a Yuasa and solved the problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just read your profile, Steve...are you actually a Chicago DJ?

I have a 2010 Brutale 1090RR that came with a Koyo that was bad from the start. I put in a Yuasa and solved the problems.
Yes sir, I am. Haha. I've been in the business over 10 years now.

I will try the Yuasa battery for sure. I really hope it's as simple as that. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
Just make sure you do two things: 1. Charge it overnight before installing it. 2. Put it in correctly. Don't reverse the polarity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: I received the new battery and charged it overnight as suggested. I installed it the next day and..."click". Same thing. No turn from motor. :shitfan:

Getting picked up Thursday.

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
Farq

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
RuffRyd;
with 2 batteries tried its probably not the battery (load test them)

you shorted across the solenoid and got nothing....that eliminates the solenoid*

did you hook the main ground to the battery? the harness ground will allow the dash and pump to cycle

you're down to;
bad connection solenoid to starter
bad engine ground to battery
bad starter

*if the battery+ is well connected to the solenoid

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
There is a good troubleshooting stream in the shop manual that shows what you need to get the bike to start. I'd start with those components.

·
Registered
10 Posts
be carefull. Inside the air box have a fuel conector. If disconected you have large amount of fuel to the pistons and blocking the engine. I have this problem. I have the same start problem. I think the problem is the conector. you need "wash".

·
Registered
12 Posts
My bike had the same issue just 2 days ago. I would turn the key and just get a stuck relay clicking noise. I ended up walking away for a couple hours, came back, and it worked. No clue what the hek the problem was. These bikes certainly have odd electrical issues

1 - 20 of 22 Posts