MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have noticed some yellowish stains on my metal gas cap recently. This seems to be isolated to the cap and not on the tank (thankfully). When I try to clean it with my spray cleaner/wax it does not come off. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may remove these stains? Anyone have these issues as well? When I fill my gas tank I am always careful not to spill any gas on the paint or cap and if I do, I clean it immediately when I get back. I think this is leakage or something...

Mods, if this is in the wrong section please move it and accept my apologies.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is there any texture difference between the stain and the clean steel? It's similar in colour to the resin you get from old fuel. It's just oddly local to the cap and not the surround.

If the Edmonton dealer is decent? Maybe they'll give it a shot at cleaning or replace it under warranty.

PS - Try to avoid ethanol fuels, especially for tanks that are going to sit for a bit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is there any texture difference between the stain and the clean steel? It's similar in colour to the resin you get from old fuel. It's just oddly local to the cap and not the surround.

Was it ever seized and sprayed with lubricant or something? Could be a chemical reaction.

If you search, I seem to remember another post about staining of the paint near the cap that looked very similar. Think it was a B3.

If the Edmonton dealer is decent? Maybe they'll give it a shot at cleaning or replace it under warranty.

PS - Try to avoid ethanol fuels, especially for tanks that are going to sit for a bit.

Oops, that didn't work well :) see the quote above for additions I tried editting in to the previous post.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Reckler,

Thanks for your input. It was never sprayed with a sealant. Only one of those spray cleaner/wax all-in-one dealies.... The texture is the same and it doesn't feel like there is any buildup and I've only ever used Shell V-power which is 0% ethanol where I live. I'll give the dealer a shout tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I was hoping someone on the forum would have a magic answer to resolving this but my guess is that the seal on the gas cap isn't as good as it should be and it's leaking pressure and fuel out the cap thus causing the stains (Since I do hear it leaking pressure after a day in the hot sun)

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
There is a tank vent or your tank would bulge or collapse with changes in temperature.
If you are filling your tank to the very brim, it may expel some fuel from the vent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a tank vent or your tank would bulge or collapse with changes in temperature.
If you are filling your tank to the very brim, it may expel some fuel from the vent.
Thanks silentservice. I am pretty new to bikes so when I fill I am leaving about a 2 inch gap between the fill level and the top of the tank. Is that too full?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I fill mine near to the base of the opening, if not over, never had any issues. Hear a bit of pressure release when I open the cap before filling up (I go to the light each time), but not a sound from it at any other time.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Somebody really likes your bike!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Tim,

Good idea. I'll give it a shot. It's not sticky or anything. It's dry and there is no noticeable texture difference between the clean metal and the yellowing parts.

The bike is always stored in a garage.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
At least it seems the seal is only bad within your gas cap and not between the cap and tank. You may want to hold off on cleaning it until you run it by the dealer for warranty replacement because "if they can't see it, then nothing's wrong".

Don't know how many times I've tried to describe something to a dealer that I know is wrong but, because they couldn't see or recreate it, it was in perfect condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts