MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I replaced my fuel door with a red and gold CNC quick release one. Apparently it doesn't quite seal around the perimeter like the OEM did. I fueled up (probably too much) and parked my bike for the night. The next day there are these terrible yellow-orange streaks running down my tank from the edge of the fuel door. So I assume the gas removed some of the finish on the underside of the anodized fuel door and then leaked out and stained my paint.

I have tired: dish soap & water, Simple Green, Purple Power cleaner and a mild buffing compound. I did get a lot of it out but it's still visible. Anyone have any ideas? Any know of a gas cap that actually fits? I'm either going to reinstall the OEM or use clear silicone to seal this one. Ugh.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You might have to try some very fine wet/dry sandpaper. I'd start with around 3000 and work down if needed, followed by another polish.

Eric

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah, maybe try a paint correction compound or paint polish before flatting out with wet and dry. Faraclea G3 or 3M Fast Cut / Glaze are what the pro's use to polish paint.

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
@sstainba: Is it to fit a Harley? A Suzuki? A KTM? Perhaps a Ural? Maybe it's supposed to fit some model of MV Agusta, but there is no way to discern that.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
There's some good and bad advice here. It's paint...don't use a metal polish on paint. Really bad idea. If the paint is stained, it can only be removed by removing the paint that's stained or etched. It is likely only the clear coat. Use compound or wet sand and then compound it but you can easily go through the clear if you don't know what you are doing. If that's the case then take it to someone who does. Any reputable detail shop should be able to get it sorted easily and with very little cost.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
?

sstainba;
You have another problem..... The overflow drain didn't work, it must be plugged up or pinched
Under the cap assembly that's the hole on the left side

As to the gasket not sealing, you can check that, is one even there?
:wink2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts