MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People,

Yesterday I cleaned my bike including using a wheel cleaner around the rear hub. The bike was on the factory rear stand.

This morning when running the bike on the stand for around 1-2 minutes, there is a squeeling coming from the rear hub and rear stand area

The rear stand heats up.

The rear hub did not get hot

Do any others have a rear stand that heats up in use??

Cheers

Sub

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a quick response Donsy, It is the standard stand. Just to be on the safe side I'll go out for a spin later and ride past the missus in neutral and see if she can hear a squealing sound.

Perhaps i am being overly worried that its the rear hub bearings as I did use a wheel cleaner which could contain degreasing agents and also used a hose pipe

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Bearings should be ok Paul so long as you didn't blast the area with high pressure water...

Did you have the bike in gear when it was on the stand ie wheel turning ? That would cause the stand spindle to heat up and expand .There are no bearings in the standard stand so no small wonder that it got hot in such an instance...Could even catch fire potentially...

Good luck with the Missus... ; )

Joe

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, there was no blasting with high pressure water. I am going to test ride the bike later though as I intend to track day it next Tuesday. Cheers

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I would only turn the back wheel by hand while on the rear stand A.E. to lube and clean the chain and clean the tire and rim. If you run the bike in gear while on the stand you will risk the chance of it falling and taking off, among other disastrous scenarios. You can take the bike off of the stand , lube the spindle .and put the bike back on Turn the wheel by hand and see if the squeak is still there. Good luck.
Chris.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers cd, I have previously read about a poster who has had the bike fall of the stand and I have always been wary of this!! I will ride the bike in the next hour or so to check it out. Considering the advice above I am confident it was the rear stand

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK Guys, Thanks for your help so far. I have just been out on a short 20 minute ride and took the bike up to the same speed that it was squealing on the OE paddock stand.

On a very quiet road I then hit the kill switch and allowed the bike to coast. At this stage I thought I could hear the odd squeek now and again (every other second). This was a different squeek to the one which was on the paddock stand which was a constant high pitched noticeable squeal (enough for my wife to hear it from the bathroom despite me being in a closed garage). During the wide I had my Arai lid open and it is windy so that may have given me some noise.

I returned home after around 15-20 minutes and then undertook 3-4 slow ride pasts with my wife listening for any noise. Again this was with the engine off so in 'bicycle mode'. She couldn't hear anything.

When I got off the bike the hub was not abnormally hot and was as hot if not abit cooler than the rest of the chassis. As I pushed the bike into the garage there was still a slight squeek but certainly no squealing.

Surely this concludes that earlier the stand was probably to blame as stated above and perhaps there was some water in the hub which now seems to have gone away.

Thoughts would be appreciated as always.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Melting the plastic bushing and running the risk of damaging your bike. You are very lucky the bike didn't slip off the stand and crash hard in front of you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This issue reminds me of the guy on the Suzuki forum that tried to clean his chain by running the bike in gear on a stand and holding a rag against the chain! He was man enough to post the photos of his mangled fingers knowing the response he'd get from other riders. Sometimes you wonder where common sense went.

Eric

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
This issue reminds me of the guy on the Suzuki forum that tried to clean his chain by running the bike in gear on a stand and holding a rag against the chain! He was man enough to post the photos of his mangled fingers knowing the response he'd get from other riders. Sometimes you wonder where common sense went.

Eric
My morbid side made me search "gsxr chain clean fingers" in google images :barfalot:

you gotta wonder sometimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts