MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to build a 175 vintage/historic race bike and would like it to build it around the Squalo design, but technical info is hard to find. Just to get it out of the way, yes, I know that the pack of CB160s will be faster, but if the US ever starts historic rather than vintage racing, the MV 175 will do fine against other race bikes of the day.
The first detail I'm missing is the oil delivery to and through the camshaft- I don't know what parts I'm missing to get from the oil gallery in the head to the camshaft- the picture shows the some of the parts I have, but I don't even know what I'm looking for- must be some sort of a rotary union to get oil into the rotating camshaft- does anyone have a picture or parts book drawing of the oiling system?

Next, I can't find cam timing info- there are vernier adjusters to sync the camshaft to the crankshaft, and another vernier pair to adjust lobe separation, but I'd like to know what the factory specs were.
If anyone has racing experience with the 175 I'd like to talk before I risk damaging hard to replace parts- I am making drawings of parts as I go- doubt if anyone is making the complicated split cam, but fools rush in.
Was there a shop manual published for the 175s?
Any info on the Squalo engine would be appreciated.
Rick

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rick,

I can help, please PM me your direct email I'll send you a Squalo owners handbook in PDF form. I've been racing vintage bikes (including a Honda CB160) for years, and maintain a high interest in the MV Agusta 175 competition models esp Sports and Super Sports. I own a pair of MV 175's and have had to source or produce a few new parts including head gaskets, oil feed parts, and pistons. There's a 175 motor on my bench right now getting a rebuild.

If you have not found it already, there's a Yahoo group where the riding and rebuilding of the MV singles is focused on. The members have a lot of combined knowledge about keeping these wonderful bikes and their motors running. Link: Motoleggera_MV

To Subscribe:
[email protected]

Ivan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts