MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PROBLEM RESOLVED: A mis-routed frayed wire to the power relay (inside the tail on the left side) caused intermittant power loss to the ignition coils.

My 06 f4 1000s is sick, advice needed!

Running rough with low power. Seems like not all the cylinders are firing and sounds like a ducati. The problem started 2 weeks ago and initially only appeared for a few seconds per ride. Progressively (I ride every day) it became more frequent. Currently it manifests about 50% of riding time and the engine has begun stalling when I come to a stop or pull in the clutch, rendering the bike unrideable.

The symptoms:
- sputtering, seems to be running on 2 cylinders (lumpy and rough sounding)
- difficult to start (significant cranking time)
- no power and reluctant to rev past 6000rpm
- low idle resulting in stalls
- significant amount of black soot in the exhaust tips
*the problems are intermittant. Happens at random... hot and cold, low and high rpm, low and full tank, all throttle positions, etc.

Attempted fixes so far (none have helped):
- replaced and relocated EBS relay (as suggested on this forum)
- checked idle speed screw (it idles normally when not "sick")
- checked throttle position sensor
- checked fuel line elbow connectors
- new spark plugs
- brief inspection of wiring and connections

Next on the list:
- remove power commander to eliminate it as a variable
- thorough inspection of wiring and sensors

... At this point I'm pretty much shooting in the dark. Would appreciate your veteran advice, thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi, sounds like intermittant fuel starvation.

Have you checked your fuel delivery system.

By this I mean fuel filter, hoses, fuel injectors.

I would start with the fuel filter ( when was the last time it was changed ?

From there I would go to the fuel injectors. Check each one has power and what the spray pattern is like, any hint of a problem give them a good clean to re-establish fuel supply.

Check each each cylinder has spark ( HT leads or coils could be the problem)

Hope this helps, good luck :)

George

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
Really sounds like a bad coil,can you isolate which cylinder is dead?

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
An induction Xenon timing light would be of assistance there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
George - the injectors crossed my mind as well. I'll have to check their power supply.

Mitchy - I can't tell which cylinders are dead but I'll definitely add the coil to my list.

Would it be safe to say the problem is electronic and not mechanical? (valves, throttle, etc) Is is possible for an engine to alternate between running well and badly with bad ignition timing?

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
Only if the timing issue is intermittent...like if it is being told by the ECU, which is being told by a bad sensor, etc.

If you can get your hands on a timing light that has an induction pick-up, you can tell if it is a signal to the plug by picking up the plug wire and seeing if the timing light flashes.

(This may not work with the individual plug coils.)

Conversely, just unplug each wire in succession and see if the running improves or worsens.

Blackening of the exhaust tens to be produced by an over-rich condition.

BTW, what was the condition of each of the spark plugs that you removed? Those plugs can tell a story.

·
Registered
372 Posts
First of all , you have to check the valves play and air leakages at the inlet pipes , after you go to electronical components

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
Do the '06 F4s fire injectors in pairs or individually?

·
Registered
652 Posts
i have the same problem with the 2005 1000 sputtering at low rpm but it will idle like normal ebs replaced and relocated new fuel filter
it only happens time to time and since i have install a powercommander.

Sent from my AMID-9743G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had the same prob, i took 1 spark plug out at a time to check for spark and noticed 1 plug looked very dry, It was a dirty injector electrical plug.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
'06 fires in pairs.

I would pull the tank, and remove and inspect all the fuel lines. The bike is 7 years old, it lives in California, I'm pretty sure they use ethanol in the gas there, and it is a major source of the symptoms described that the op hasn't checked.

My bet is your fuel system is clogged somewhere inside the tank.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
'06 fires in pairs.

I would pull the tank, and remove and inspect all the fuel lines. The bike is 7 years old, it lives in California, I'm pretty sure they use ethanol in the gas there, and it is a major source of the symptoms described that the op hasn't checked.

My bet is your fuel system is clogged somewhere inside the tank.
+10

to check your injectors, go the auto parts store and get a "noid light set".....
$25 at AutoZone

google it

they won't check injector flow just, the signal

my buddy Micah owns the Aprilia Forum and plays on the dyno all day
he just posted it.....i'm going for a set

i can "see' if the injector is spraying enough with a temp check with an IR pyrometer, with the noid light set i can eliminate the electrical

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got very similar symptoms.
There are bubbles in the fuel. I can see them comming from the return line. Can't work out where the issue is though.....anyone ideas?
still searching.....

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
There shouldn't be bubbles. You have a fuel line adrift. Time to pull the pump, Scrincher.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got very similar symptoms.
There are bubbles in the fuel. I can see them comming from the return line. Can't work out where the issue is though.....anyone ideas?
still searching.....

If you have Bubbles, you have a problem with your fuel lines...You see bubbles because gas goes in the fuel tank by the bypass hole in your pump.... You must hear a different sound in the tank. Do you?. Check the fuel plug-in in tank. they have valves, if they are not right, fuel will not go properly to injectors and part of fuel will return by the bypass.
Pd: Sorry for my bad english (I´m from Argentina)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update... the fuel system is ok. pump, filter, injectors, lines, and power commander are normal.

further troubleshooting will focus on the ignition coils and ecu. spark plugs will also be removed to see which cylinder(s?) is misfiring.

are there any reports of the power/latch relays (mounted inside the tail on either side of the ecu) causing trouble? according to the wiring chart, the relays supply power to the coils.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Had the exact problem you have. could be stator, i replaced injectors ecu fuel lines, throttle position sensor fuel pump, fuel filter and so on. had the same issues. took it to a diff guy and he told me that it was reading sudden significant spikes of wattage which would cause the bikes power to cut on and off, having a similar feeling to fueling issues. I had to replace my ecu because the symptoms that you are referring to eventually led to the bike shutting off if it was revved anywhere past 4 grand, the ecu was fried from the repeat occurrence of the large voltage spike not being regulated by the stator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts