MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need some advice from you guys on the symptoms I am having with my bike ('11 Brutale 1090RR). First, some quick history of the bike. I just completed a valve adjustment and the bike hasn't been ridden since last October/November.

I double checked the pin count and made sure the exhaust tooth was between pin 24 and 25. I confirmed the clearances were all in spec before assembling bike. The only thing I think I could have potentially screwed up during assembly would have been putting the incorrect coil on the wrong cylinder. If memory serves me correctly, they don't have number tags on the coils like they did on the injector plugs. However, judging from where the wires came from I am pretty confident I have the correct coil going to the correct cylinder.

The symptoms:
Starting-No issue, bike fires up immediately

Idle- No issues, bike idles fine without the RPM's drifting up or down

Rev-Revs fine in neutral and with the clutch in. Did not notice any backfiring

In gear-Shifting in gear does not cause any issues, however as soon as I begin to let the clutch out it starts to sputter. If I rev it up so the RPMs are high I can get it to take off without stalling but it continues to sputter/backfire and struggle to not stall out. It sounds like it is misfiring or not running on all cylinders. I checked all of the headers and they were all warm.

What do you guys think? If a tooth slipped and the timing was off on the CCT would it still idle and rev fine in neutral?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I don't think it's cam timing, I think it's electronics as the mapping on the bike changes when you select a gear. It'll be interesting to find out what is causing this, throttle position sensor, crank sensor or maybe cam timing sensor if the 1090 has one ?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to pull the gas tank off and start slowly going through the bike. I'll check for any pinched lines, loose connections and air leaks around the throttle body seals.

I'll report back this afternoon. Luckily, it's suppose to rain the entire day so I won't feel bad spending it in the garage.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I worked on the bike some more. I found the boot that seals against the airbox was not completely sealing due to the clip on the hose.

I fixed that and put everything back together and I'm still having the issue. All sensors/plugs/hoses are connected and nothing is pinched.

I ran it up and down the street a few times to get a better idea of what the symptoms are.

Idle and start are still great. Idles right around 1000-1100 RPM. However, I did notice this time that the slightest throttle input would cause it sputter/stall. I can go up the street if I keep the RPM's high but as soon as I drop into lower RPMs and little throttle input it will stall and sputter. This seems to happen in neutral and in gear, with it being worse in gear (assuming because it is under load).

With that said, I am leaning towards the throttle body needing to be synced or TPS reset. Unfortunately, I don't have tools to do this so I will probably have to take it to the dealer. Any other ideas before I take it in?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should add that the bike has had the occasionally stalling issues before I did the valve adjustment. It would typically happen when I was downshifting or coming to a stop. It seems it has just gotten much worse after I made the adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
22,311 Posts
TPS reset might be the way to go first.

Is that a 5SM ECU?

·
Super Moderator
22,311 Posts
Yes.

I can send you the diagnostic kit if you'd like....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lucked out and a coworker has an old mercury throttle sync that I'm going to go grab. Let me give that a shot first and I will get back to you. I appreciate the offer Chuck!

·
Super Moderator
22,311 Posts
That will help, but the Diagnostic Tool will also tell you if you have an injector issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I synced the throttle body which, as you said, helped but didn't solve all of my issues. I can make it down the road without it stalling right away but I am still having loss of power and surging when I am applying less than quarter of a throttle.

I will take you up on the Diagnostic Tool. I'll PM you so I can send you payment for shipping.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
If the TPS reset doesn't solve anything, and because you now say you have some of this issue in Neutral also, I doubt it will solve it. I'm thinking your timing is out now.

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
I am thinking cam timing.Maybe one cam is out a tooth.I would re-check.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Based on what you have written, I would not expect it to be throttle balance. It sounds a little more major than that.
If you track the coil wires back to the connector plugs you will see the numbering and positioning of the connector is easy to follow.

Did you check the cam marks lined up to the top edge after turning the motor over by hand (before putting the valve cover back on) ?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did follow the coil wires back yesterday to make sure they are going to the correct cylinder. That is assuming the orientation of the plugs from left to right correlates to the cylinders.

Yes to the second part. I'll go through the steps I took when I reassembled:

1. Aligned intake slot with top of block
2. Insterted exhaust cam and aligned mark between pins 24 and 25
3. Tightened cam carriers
4. Recounted the pins to make sure it was still between 24 and 25
5. Installed CCT
6. Rotated crankshaft 180, checked valve clearance, in spec
7. Rotated crankshaft 180, checked remaining valve clearance, in spec and also glanced at the marks alignment with the block
8. Reinstalled cam cover and remaining parts.

I assumed since my clearances were all in spec when I aligned the mark at both positions on the timing wheel that there was no way my tooth count could be off. I suppose I could take everything apart again and recheck while I'm waiting for the diagnostic tool to arrive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I popped the valve cover and took a look at the cams and alignment again. From what I could tell counting again, the exhaust cam mark is between pin 24 and 25 of the chain.

The intake mark is very close to level with the block, possibly slightly higher and the exhaust mark is slightly lower then the plane of the block. Do you guys think that would be off enough to cause my issues?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Looks like the timing is right. You have to be grossly out of timing before the behaviour of the motor gets erratic, and it will be hard to start. Been there, done that when I tried the lazy shortcut ways of replacing the CCT.

Just to make sure, check the internal fuel lines in the tank haven't come off during the process.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to wait for the Diagnostic Tool to arrive before I go much further. Plan is to confirming as much as I can with that, make adjustments as needed and see if that takes care of the problem.

If not, I will go back to square one. This means, confirming the phonic/timing wheel is correct. I will make sure cylinder no. 1 is at TDC when the wheel is aligned. If that is correct, inspect the guides to make sure there isn't excessive wear and the chain isn't stretched. The bike has a little over 11,000 miles though so I would be surprised if the chain is stretched or the guides are bad.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That thought crossed my mind but I figured I would have hard start issues and rough idle if that was the case. I do have the tank off though so it probably wouldn't hurt to put fresh gas in there.

I spoke with one of our senior development techs at work about the symptoms. He recommended I go back to square one as I previously mentioned with confirming TDC and this time locking the crank in place so that it can not skip or move teeth when I install the CCT. I suppose it doesn't hurt since I will have a few days to kill before I get the diagnostic tool.

On a side note, I am fortunate to work with so many gear heads. The guy I mentioned above (Chet) is actually leading the work on our Indian Dark Horse for the Land Speed races in El Mirage, CA. If you have some time to kill, below is a link to some short videos of them working on the Dark Horse and Scout. It's nice to step away from the desk every now and then and go back in the shop to see what these guys are working on.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/passion-for-speed

1 - 20 of 29 Posts