MV Agusta Forum banner

SPU upgrade

4K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  teatime 
#1 ·
Hey guys
I just wanted to confirm if Startwintrading sell only the upgraded black-backed SPU (for my 06 910S), as opposed to the old blue-backed unit? Would hate to order and get the old one..

#2 ·
You will have to ask them, I would suppose...

#11 ·
Today the Brutale has gone into Trooper Lus Garage to get a major service, but more importantly, installation of the upgraded SPU unit! I'm vehemently praying to God with my fingers crossed, that this solves the electrical gremlins I've suffered from in the past.. It's the brutes last chance to prove reliable, after the last breakdown in the middle of nowhere half way to Phillip Island for the Motogp..

#14 ·
Had the major service done today, with new chain, sprockets, and front brake pads.. Also included was installation of the upgraded SPU.. I'm trying to account for a mammoth bill, and would like to hear from anyone that that installed their own SPU.. How long did it take, was it an easy/quick install?

#15 ·
Remove rear and front seat
remove ignition key surround
undo one bolt holding tank
remove side covers
lift tank about 5 inches
remove two screws holding old spu
disconnect spu
connect new spu and repeat above (on reverse)
15-20 minutes

#16 ·
Hard to say about these things Patrick. If you say mayor service, I'm thinking valve check etc.
For the SPU change, I can't imagine any shop charging you for less than a hours work.
Chain and sprockets take a bit longer, and if the put OE sprockets on, that will be very dear.
Brake pads and a bleed is another hour, and then I'm not sure if you had oil and plugs and filters done, which is another bucket load of money.

#18 ·
If everthing was done for a 12000/24000 service plus chain and sprockets and new pads your probably got off lightly. The SPU would have added about 5 mins tops to the job as they would have had the tank off already.

I can dig out some old bills if it helps, most of mine seem to be close to 4 figures, if not more....

#21 ·
It was a 24k major service that included..
Full check up and diagnosis of factory recommended aspects with valve clearances $750

Purchase and fitting of
Chain & sprockets $280
Front brake pads $100
Oil filter $30
Consumables $120
SPU(pre-bought, but fitted)

What surprised me was an additional charge of 4 hours labour, above the $750 for the 24k full service! I knew that the fitting of brake pads, chain & sprockets and SPU would be extra as they are outside the parameters of the full service.. But 4 hours for those extra items when the bike would already have been somewhat dismantled seemed excessive to me. Keeping in mind that bleeding the brake lines was already included in the $750 service price..

#22 ·
SPU - assuming tank is already off for the valves etc - slide off rubber mount, remove connectors, 5 mins tops, replace with new one.
Brake pads, remove ONE bolt, push old pads back, remove pads, insert new pads, insert bolt, repeat for other side - 10mins a side for me.
Chain and sprockets, even I would struggle to take 2 hours for that.

#24 ·
You know, I was expecting to pay around $13-1400.00 mark, which is why I'm a little flummoxed.. And considering the 24K full service, plus labour costs are discounted by the 15% they offered me! Perhaps they tacked on an extra 2hrs labour to make up the 15% discount?

Either way, it doesn't seem right(too costly), and by virtue of the mega-serious money I've spent on my MV there! I think I will have to querie this scenario with Justin, the owner at Trooper Lus Garage..

#27 ·
The grass isn't greener on the other side. I get mine serviced at Gosford, and it's expensive.

Welcome to MV. Expensive parts and servicing, few dealerships, massive depreciation...

But puts a smile on your face with each ride.
Aahh mate, your original one was much more controversial.:)

Look, for what it's worth, I think it's a bit high, but then I work from home so overheads are less etc.....and i look after a hand full of MV's and the guys know my limitations etc.

I see no reason why someone can't complain about a dealer on the forum, unless they own it, and even then....:naughty:
But I do think, if you're going to have a go, speak to the dealer first, just out of courtesy. But that's my opinion of coarse.

I don't think Patrick was wrong in asking the question, and I'm sure Justin won't see it that way either.

I agree about shopping with your feet, if you go and discuss the price, find it still a bit high, then next time you have this to learn from, maybe ask for a quote first.

I don't know, just saying, these sort of things can open up such a big can of worms.:eek:nthecan:

FWIW, I hope the bike is going great mate :brutale:

#28 ·
I hear you and agree Donsy! I have a lot of respect for Justin, hes a great bloke who does his best to look after his customers, especially regulars like myself. Unfortunately Justin wasnt there on the 2 seperate days i dropped off and picked up my bike. Which is why all my queries in this thread have been very civil.. I was just trying to get feedback as to what I should be expecting time/cost wise from you experienced MV

I knew the full service was $750, and that parts and consumables would be $500 odd.. What I wasn't expecting was 4 hrs labour to fit chain, sprockets, front brake pads and SPU.. Especially considering the brutale would have been in a state of undress already from the full service!

In the end, the greater portion of responses have been "2 hrs roughly to do the extra work".. So I kinda feel somewhat justified in posing the querie here, in a civil manner :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.