MV Agusta Forum banner

SPU on FIRE - Near Meltdown - Bridge Police Sucks

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ahaussmann123 
#1 ·
Hello Brutale People,

I have a lovely 2004 Brutale, early model and a dream to ride. Just got her up to 6k miles, tried to install an integrated tail light and messed up a bunch (I turned my head while my drunken buffoons of friends began to touch hot wires together). We ended up blowing a fuse or two, and I fully broke the right side blinker system in the SPU, which clearly led to the early demise of my SPU (which was already on the way out, the bike would sometimes die randomly which seems to be an SPU symptom).

I did not expect what I had coming for me though... this was very hazardous and makes me sometimes wish I could deal with the booring-ness of jap bikes.

Essentially went it went like this:

Riding on my way up to visit some friends in upstate NY, it's a hot one, 90 outside. I knew the SPU might go on me but I'm hesitant to buy a new one until it fails. After getting out of the local roads and one pull on the highway, right before crossing the whitestone bridge, the bike dies. It runs with no dash/electronics until it eventually fully dies and I begin to roll into the shoulder. Damn SPU guess I don't get to go upstate. I see a small puff of smoke and think to myself 'wow it really did overheat huh' and get off the bike. Suddenly, it combusts!

I begin frantically trying to wave down any motorist to help, a bridge police officer zooms by with my arms in the air. I see a large puff of smoke emerge from the side of the bike as I get more frantic and ANOTHER bridge officer drives right past me screaming and flailing, begging for anybody to help. A good 30 seconds go by, I begin to come to terms with the possibility of my bike burning on the side of a crowded highway, when finally a plumbing truck stops and the crew comes with a fire extinguisher and water, I pull the right side panel and we extinguish the flames. From the left side you can see the red hot SPU, smoldering. Unbelievable. This was a serious hazard and could have killed a less lucky or unprepared rider.

The fire damage seems to be minimal, only a small nick in the fuel tank which I patched with JB weld, and a rip in the SPU strap which I patched with electrical tape. It seems that once I get my new SPU in from Startwin we should be good to go!

Gave her a wash down to get the fire extinguisher off and cleaned all electrical connectors with qd. While she's open I will wash the foam filter (twin air put in by previous owner) and I replaced the fuel connector with a metal triumph one.

Questions:

1. Should I put dielectric grease in the plugs? I don't see any, I'm not sure if it's a good idea?

2. You notice that janky fuel connector the previous owner put in? I guess he broke one and did some sort of janky plumber replacement, it has worked fine so far and it's really sturdy so I don't see it failing anytime soon, buuut I just remembered I have a wrecked speed triple in the backyard with full metal male & female CPC connectors that I could use to replace the ones on the MV, should I go for it? Or just leave the current setup (if it's stupid and works it's not stupid)?

3. Anything else to watch out for? I would like to get this bike back to reliable status and use almost daily, at least until the season is over.

Pictures (it is a plastic connector in the picture I did replace it I swear):

Just a fun bonus of yours truly after slipping on a Revel scooter in the city. Ride them if you get the chance, they're a blast.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow.... glad it wasn't worse.
Yes, grab the metal connectors off the Triumph. And while you are at it, replace the internal fuel lines....they rot over time.
@silentservice703 has the fuel hose you need at a better price than you will get it at NAPA or other places. Yes, it is a specific type hose.
Postponing replacement of a known failing part has obviously proven to be a bad decision. MVs don't like neglect.

Reactions: theknurl
#8 ·
Wow.... glad it wasn't worse.
Yes, grab the metal connectors off the Triumph. And while you are at it, replace the internal fuel lines....they rot over time.
@silentservice703 has the fuel hose you need at a better price than you will get it at NAPA or other places. Yes, it is a specific type hose.
Postponing replacement of a known failing part has obviously proven to be a bad decision. MVs don't like neglect.

Just reread this, when you say internal are you talking about any lines for the fuel filter? I assumed the ones running from tank to rail haha

#3 ·
The shop manual will tell you exactly where and what type of lubricants to use. I don't trust my own memory, nevermind a stranger's on some forum.

Get the right fuel connectors. Silentservice703 has them.

#4 ·
The fuel lines look to be replaced with some Metzler fuel lines, it has worked good for the pas 3k miles, or are those stock??

Speaking of neglect, I guess the last part I’m worried about is the rear hub, any opinions? I use my torque wrench on the adjuster bolts, only overtightened the chain once for a little bit then fixed it, no water pressure near there. Think it’ll go the distance?

#5 ·
May as well service the hub while you have it down for other work.....easy to clean and grease and can't hurt, though it may not really be needed yet.
Do use dialectric grease on all your connectors...for a variety of reasons this is a good practice.
I would replace the hoses if you don't know how old they are.....

#6 · (Edited)
While I’ve got you, I should clear up while I asked about the rear hub...

My chain was sagging, and I tightened it. But due to dumbassery I absolutley overtightened the chain. (not the adjuster bolts, they torqued @ 32 right up to the white markings) Chain was slack but well above 6mm clearance from the lower guard.

I rode home about 30 miles, nothing too aggressive but did hit triple digits on the highway stretch. I fixed it as soon as I realized my error but the SPU blew up not long after that.

Is there any way to check on the life of my hub, outside of the usual lift and Check for play? As far as service, all I see is to grease the roller bearings I will deff do it on my next tire change but otherwise I don't see much about service/inspection that I can make heads or tails of.

At 22k or when it’s knackered I do plan on springing for a Mitch’s hub, but I am hoping that’s not until at least next season considering this repair....

#7 ·
You probably damaged your chain more than the hub ....no, there is nothing to do in service but remove the axle, clean and grease roller and balls (you have to carefully remove a seal to do that, and inspect for signs of overheating or corrosion. And reduce the torque on those pinch bolts.... 20 nm is plenty

#12 · (Edited)
I ended up using 3M weatherstrip, looks like it will hold up well.

Status after SPU was everything appears good but neutral indicator was not working.
2004 Brutale 750s- Neutral sensor? --- found this thread, esq and knurl are dem boys! Connector was gunked from something, there were what look like burn marks but also probably gunk from the fire extingusher, cleaned with some QD and we're good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.