MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted a few days ago about maybe buying an 04 Brutale, I asked about the issues with the SPU and you guys replied with lights going haywire.

So tonight I went and looked at it, rode it (FRICKEN AWESOME), checked the lights and the hub like I was told, and everything was working fine. I trailered it home, no rain or anything, and went for a ride. I went maybe 15 miles (once again so much better than everything I've owned), stopped got gas, went another 20 or so, and came back to my place. Turned it off, took the manual out of the trunk and sat in my chair and started reading. Then after I got to the section about the set button and how to go through the menu's, I went back out and started it up and set the clock, zeroed the trips. When I tried to turn it off it wouldn't go off. Lights would all turn off, but the engine would just run a little faster with the key off. I finally ended up running inside to get a screwdriver and took the positive lead off the battery to turn it off. and now the low beam doesnt work, just traveling light and high beam.

Please any info is appreciated because I am sad:cry:

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
The relays that you are triggering when you set the clock, etc are all inside the SPU....sounds like it just bit the dust!!! Symptoms you describe (not shutting off engine, headlight not coming on) fit the bill.

Sorry for the bad news, but new part is improved for reliability, so that's good news.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats sucks. The low beam doesnt work still, but as long as after I start it a ride it for a few miles it turns off, if I start it, which people want me to do here at work since I just got it, It won't turn off, so then I have to go for a ride, shoot :), and it turns off.

Where is the best place to get an SPU

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
The latest part is available from any MV dealer. That's where I would go. Used may not be any better then you have (malfunctioning) or may be the unimproved part. Most of the dealers will do mail order. Find the US dealers on mvagustausa.com

·
Registered
312 Posts
+1 all the electrical gremlins I had on my '05 Brutale (similar to the ones you describe) went away when I got a new SPU installed at my local MV dealer. Not cheap but worth it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like detroit is the closest, is it very difficult to install this? I don't really feel like making a 150 there and back drive.

I've always done everything on my other bikes, but am a little bit worried about working on this one on my own, it's a little more technically advanced than all the carbuerated bikes of worked on in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Hey Shoe7, fully support Eddy's view - just very very poor timing and sorry to hear about it. Additionally - DO NOT go the second hard part method.

My experience: I ordered on-line via Vesuvio and their OEM part site. Quoted the correct SPU Part number (found on the inside of the fuse cap). Vesuvio delivered to my door in under ten days (kept me in the loop at all times). My bike was rideable (low beam and indicators weren't working). I took the new part to my mechanic and he removed tank etc to replace the SPU. - You can do this all yourself following the manual's instructions...but as I had other stuff being done...just had him do it. (part cost me ~300EU...I was quoted $1250EU by the local Triumph dealer)

Note: Try to find at least a mechanic that has worked on MV's before - e.g. if they have the rear wheel hub socket and torque wrenches....that's a good sign :)

Once replaced (4000km ago...I've never had any other problems)

cheers

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
It is a very easy bike to work on. Service manuals are on line at one of our forum members sites.

Order the part and put it on...you will find it is not a big job. Plug and play !!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
You may want to first check that the battery is fully charged. I know it sounds weird, but my bike had similar symptoms, wouldn't shut off, or headlight stayed on when the key was off, and it was all cured by charging the battery. I know it sounds strange, but it's at least worth a check. Good luck.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am having a similar experience at the moment. I had the bike out 4 days ago, ran perfectly. Went to get it to take it for a service and the battery is totally flat. mechanic reckons the black box is shot because headlight wont go off even with ignition off and keys out. £340 for new box. :jsm:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi,

Did you go to Monroe and how much did it cost you?

Thanks!
We need a sticky on what the SPU is, what it costs and where to get it from! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hate asking questions like this since it seems so common! I did do a lot of research on this site, and i'm starting to have an idea of where to buy the SPU unit.

Anyways, I talked to the previous owner of the bike and he said yes, he saw the same issues 2 years ago when he washed the bike. All he did was let it sit for 2 weeks and the problems went away.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Hey Doc - good to see you back on !! (and yes I did catch up briefly with missus Doc at the CSS)

Your're right - from what I've been able to assess, the SPU problem appears to have been resolved from 08 onwards - I've not seen a post from anyone with a +08 register the issue - so perhaps MV did ???

Stan- Vesuvio was excellent to deal with and I believe some others have also been great in sourcing the replacement SPU.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hey Doc - good to see you back on !! (and yes I did catch up briefly with missus Doc at the CSS)

Your're right - from what I've been able to assess, the SPU problem appears to have been resolved from 08 onwards - I've not seen a post from anyone with a +08 register the issue - so perhaps MV did ???

Stan- Vesuvio was excellent to deal with and I believe some others have also been great in sourcing the replacement SPU.
+1 on Vesuvio

·
Registered
354 Posts
the SPU problem appears to have been resolved from 08 onwards - I've not seen a post from anyone with a +08 register the issue - so perhaps MV did ???
SPU.
Cheers
What I mean is maybe they should do a world wide recall , sort of like car manufacturers have done in the past. This is not a minor part that fails.

·
Registered
968 Posts
What I mean is maybe they should do a world wide recall , sort of like car manufacturers have done in the past. This is not a minor part that fails.
Quite simply - MV can't afford it. Recall all of the Brutales sold (or re-imburse the owners who have done it themselves) - can you imagine what this would cost worldwide? Mate, MV have enough money troubles as it is.

Yeah, it sucks, but that's life. The bikes with the older SPU unit are well out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
I hear what your saying Doc....but I think Rents' on the money[sic]

....HOWEVER, if I had a near new 989r or 1078rr....my opinion would probably be verrrrrrrrrry different ;-)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 38 Posts