MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have 02 750 F4. I am thinking of dropping one tooth on the front sprocket. From a 14 to a 13. Are there any problems with chain clearance, and can I still use the same 520 chain. Also anybody know if the gearing becomes to short. I am looking for the best of both worlds. Road riding and track.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i think most people just deal with the rear with a quick change carrier. that would be the most flexible option.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am just about to get my Brutale to the local garage because the petrol pump has packed up. The garage said that they were getting a few through now? Anyway at the same time I am getting the cat removed and he had recommended 2 teeth off the back sprocket as there will be more torque and this will help me to use it (i.e. lower revs).

Does anyone have ano other suggestions to be done at the same time.

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
john348 said:
I am just about to get my Brutale to the local garage because the petrol pump has packed up. The garage said that they were getting a few through now? Anyway at the same time I am getting the cat removed and he had recommended 2 teeth off the back sprocket as there will be more torque and this will help me to use it (i.e. lower revs).

Does anyone have ano other suggestions to be done at the same time.

John
2 teeth off the back sprocket? Will that not make the acceleration less? :stickpoke

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JamesC said:
If you have an 02 it is a 15T stock. Move to 15/43. 13 is WAY too tight in my opinion.

Hi James,

So 2 teeth up on the back sprocket. I will check the front sprocket when I get home? If it is 15, then I agree that 13 will be to tight. How about a 14/41?

·
Registered
108 Posts
2 teeth off the back sprocket (this could get confusing with the 2 threads of 2 teeth). The man in the shop just said that the cat removal gave much better torque so 'lowering' the revs means you can use it better and not so manic especially on top and just cruising. I am not sure what difference the no cat will make anyway.

My other bike is a Cagiva with a Duc 900 engine so there is a big difference in revs when I swap from bike to bike. and tends to make me reach for another gear when just cruising.

John

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
jorge said:
Hi James,

So 2 teeth up on the back sprocket. I will check the front sprocket when I get home? If it is 15, then I agree that 13 will be to tight. How about a 14/41?
I am not a fan of 14 either but that's just me :) Make sure you order the correct part number for the '02+ bikes. The 00 and 01 are different and all aftermarket cs sprockets that I know of are for the 00/01.

with 15/43 you won't need to add any links, if that was the concern. I also like 15/42 if your riding for that sprocket isn't so tight and technical or will involve street or track with long straights.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I would just go up in the rear as well. The chain doesn't have to bend any extra because of a smaller front sprocket. Also, a lower set of teeth on the FRONT places additional load on the shaft, as it's spinning faster due to the smaller diameter sprocket.

Go up on the rear, and get a quick release carrier.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Jorge,
dropping a tooth off the front is about the best compromise for both road and track,or add two at the rear for almost the same result.
If you add more than two teeth you are on the limit for std chain ,sprocket will be running very close to swingarm and tyre will contact belly pan. I like to run the chain loose .
I found 13/43 about perfect for tracks that I've been to, but way manic for the road.
I have a Talon QC and stick a 40 on for the road or a 41. It is an 01 motor with 14/41 as std.

I agree it gets worked harder over a 13 but just check it more and change it sooner. Changing the front only is also the cheapest option, and requires least amount of fiddling to reset the rear geometry.

For best of both worlds your roads will have to become tracks.

I just checked the registry and your roads are tracks .
Cape Town ?

Nate mate, engine drives shaft doesnt it?13000rpm is still 13000rpm or am I up too late?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jorge, I have the same bike and dropped 1T on the front and up 1t on the rear and I love it. It,s so much easier to keep the bike in the powerband . The downside is less MPG but I love how it pulls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts