MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding this morining only to discover a hole in my front sprocket cover. This was caused by a bolt for the speedo sensor working loose from the inside and punching a hole through the cover. It will be covered under warranty, but unfortunately there are no sprocket covers in stock at the moment. There apparently is an issue with this particular nut working loose. My MV dealer here tightened everything down and put lock tight on it to secure the bolt, thanks to Dave over at Houston Motorsports. It is a $124.00 part, so if you are out of warranty I suggest you pop the cover and make sure this bolt is secure to avoid an uneccessary part replacement. BTW, my bike only has 1,800 miles.
:rant:

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Larry,
I just pulled my sprocket cover on the F4 and checked the bolt (I'm at 887 miles). It was tight, but I removed it anyway to put some red Locktite on it, just to be on the safe side. It already had some kind of tan colored thread locking substance on it, but I didn't know this until I removed the bolt. It sounds like a QC problem where the bolt is being installed on some bikes w/o the thread lock, or not enough of it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
falcopilot said:
Larry,
I just pulled my sprocket cover on the F4 and checked the bolt (I'm at 887 miles). It was tight, but I removed it anyway to put some red Locktite on it, just to be on the safe side. It already had some kind of tan colored thread locking substance on it, but I didn't know this until I removed the bolt. It sounds like a QC problem where the bolt is being installed on some bikes w/o the thread lock, or not enough of it.
I'm sure it is probably something as simple as not putting enough Loctite or torque or combination of both. There obviously is a lot of vibration in this area of the sprocket and chain and I am sure if the bolt is not put in solidlly enough there could be issues. I just wish the effects weren't a bust sprocket cover that is apparently hard to replace due to inventory shortages.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I was just thinking,

Make sure you tell the person doing the work, if not yourself, while swapping your countershaft sprocket that you used red loctite there. Not a place you want damaged if they try to remove without heat.

·
Registered
358 Posts
JamesC said:
Loctite red as in 271? :jsm: Maybe a bit of overkill?
Actually it was Permatex Stud Locker. Didn't know they put numbers on the stuff; I always refer to it by color. Overkill, maybe, but it doesn't appear to be a bolt that you need to remove very often. In any case, I've used the 'red' many times, and it's really not all that difficult to take apart.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
got bored yesterday and took the sprocket cover off...everything seems tight but damn was it dirty in there......had to have at it with some q tips and a rag.......

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ditto, I checked mine, Tight, but I took it off and blue locktite was applied. Snugged it down good.

All the chain wax gets dumped there, a good cleaning and looking spiffy!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
airfuel said:
Ditto, I checked mine, Tight, but I took it off and blue locktite was applied. Snugged it down good.

All the chain wax gets dumped there, a good cleaning and looking spiffy!
I think the combination of chain lub and vibration coupled with a less than good torque/lock tite application contributed to the sprocket cover demise. Just MHO.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well [email protected], this just happened to my bike today. Heard a funny popping noise this morning, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary so continued the ride to work. When I got home I went to look it over more closely and lube my chain, and found the hole in my cover! :cussing:

Now I gotta see if my dealership will send me a cover or if I have to wait until I take it in for the 600 mile service... :banghead:

This was on an '04 Brutale S with about 400 miles on the clock....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Triple Seven said:
any potential for rear wheel lock?
I don't think so, as I don't think there is enough room for the bolt to come all the way out inside the cover. But I guess if it did back itself all the way out and get into the chain, it could cause some problems....

Here is a pic, looks just like the others....

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, no dice on getting a new cover sent to me based on the pictures, they want to see it in person before they will even order it. And they won't transport it unless the bike is immobile, which they don't consider this since the bolt can be tightened back down and the bike would be rideable.

So it looks like I'll just have to deal with it for a couple hundred miles until I take it in for the 600 mile service and have them order the new cover then :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts