MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some experienced advice from either avid track goers or some of our racers regarding upgrading the carrier and sproket for the F3 800.

I'll start by saying I've found the longer gearing on the 800 a little too long for my liking on the track and much prefer the slightly shorter gearing of the 675. I'm looking at going up 2-3 teeth in the rear which should lower my top end to around ~150MPH which is suitable for where I'm at currently.

My concerns are just lack of knowledge with some of the carriers and manufacturers of not only the carriers but some of the sprocket brands. I've almost always used SuperSprox superlite steel sprockets on all other bikes and would like to use them for the MV as I want to stick with steel rather than aluminum due to longevity reasons so that cancels out a few brands.

1.) Which carrier would be the best recommendation? (70% track / 30% street)
2.) Which sprocket brand do you guys trust and recommend?

As always thank you for any help you can offer.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Ah, just noticed this thread of yours.
Quick question, why do you want to change the sprocket carrier?
And then just a quick heads up, most of if not all of us in the WA Championship run Alloy rear sprockets, that's the place you want to keep things light, and a rear sprocket will easily last all season.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find steel sprockets unless you try the factory. Have you had a look at the Forum Sponsors site's, Sprocket Centre might be able to help.
Are you changing to a 520 ?
http://www.designcorse.com/shop/mv-agusta-parts/mv-agusta-f3-parts/f3-chains-sprockets
http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=266
http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/street-sprocket-applications/mv-agusta.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the carrier I was changing to strip weight and make changing sprockets a little faster. As far as alloy I had great success with the supersprox steel line as they were almost as light as most aluminum and lasted at least twice as long. And I hate to say this...but we are considering either the Dymag carbon wheels or a set of BST's for our track tires so if we go that route that is a considerable amount of Unspring weight being dropped.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A topical thread right now for me. I am in the process of changing gearing as well. I am changing to 520. At this stage, I don't see a need to change the carrier, but it could be on the radar in future. I am not as experienced as many others on this forum, but it is something that is very interesting to me at present. I have ordered a selection of Steel front/Alloy rear sprockets, front 15 and 16, rear 38 and 44. I guess this will cover most needs. I found this tool very handy in making gearing decisions: http://www.gearingcommander.com

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Even Cluzel's bike uses an OEM carrier J-M, and I doubt you'd find quicker way to change sprockets, it's really only a couple of nuts to undo and redo.
The readjusting ride height after tensioning the chain will take you longer than replacing sprockets for sure.
Carbon wheels are great, but not sure I would use that on a track bike, too many tyre changes, unless you do your own tyre changes with a tyre machine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well to be quite honest Dons I was only looking at carriers because most sprocket setups I had seen either combo with a certain carrier or what have you. Id prefer not to change it out personally. As far as the wheels and tires I'm actually buying a tire mounting machine for my shop and a machine balancer within a few months. I was going to get it early this spring but the MV track bug hit and well I had to feed the habit. But in the meantime we have a dedicated guy who has delrin and nylon pads he can use on his changer that wouldn't scratch spray paint off glass. It's really quite phenomenal...and his attention to detail is why we continue to give him loads of business. Sadly it's getting to the point now where I'm changing sets of tires every other week for either myself or someone else I track with so it's time to make a little coin and save some for them as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
All good mate.
I change and balance my tyres myself, but it's hard work with what I have, so I'm looking at a more advanced manual tyre machine, something a bit easier to use than my current Abba tool, something I can mount in my bike trailer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The No-Mar manual changer isn't bad and is fairly light considering but all of their equipment is rather pricey.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sparking an old thread. Can anyone confirm that 17/43 is the stock gearing on the 800. I'm not home and won't be for a few days and I wanted to get this setup ordered while I'm gone to get it in by next weekend. I'm looking at keeping 525 pitch since that's all I've found a 17 tooth front in but I'm not opposed to dropping one in the front and staying at 43 in the rear if that's all I can do. I really only wanted +2 in the rear but the equivalent of +3 would be fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Jon-Michael. Stock gearing is 17/41, so you will be able to go 43 teeth in 520 pitch, if that is what you are after. I have been having heaps of trouble sourcing Chiaravali 520 pitch sprockets, but these guys will have them soon. http://www.hardracing.com/

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dons and ElDopa. The problem I'm finding with 520 from what I've seen offered is only a 15 or 16 tooth front. No one carries a 17

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
I wonder why MV went with such a big front sprocket, I suppose it's cheaper than changing gearbox ratios.
Have you guys tried contacting The Sprocket Center, here on the forum?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dons, they were the first guys I contacted and subsequently ordered from, but unfortunately they never got back to me, then one day I noticed a credit card refund. No communication, no explanation. So I guess that meant they too were having trouble. Hardracing were extremely helpful and although they did not have any in stock, were quick to let me know that they were on the way soon and would contact me when they arrive. As for the 17 stock front, yep, a bit of a mystery that one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea it makes minute changes more of a pain...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts