MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change springs on Sachs shocks ? My shock is on the way out and I have a replacement but the spring is the wrong color. Don't tell me to paint it Randy :stickpoke

·
Administrator
20,767 Posts
Is it possible to change springs on Sachs shocks ? My shock is on the way out and I have a replacement but the spring is the wrong color. Don't tell me to paint it Randy :stickpoke
OK....I'll tell you to paint it.

Or get an Ohlins TTX. :later:

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can fit an Ohlings spring (yellow). It fits and works superb (and leave the others paint theirs):loser:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK everyone here has lost sight of the reason for this post. The question is.........can I change the spring on my SACHS rear shock and if I can, how do I go about it without totally dismantling the shock ? and don't say paint it Randy........ :stickpoke With that said. Any takers ?

·
Registered
779 Posts
OK everyone here has lost sight of the reason for this post. The question is.........can I change the spring on my SACHS rear shock and if I can, how do I go about it without totally dismantling the shock ? and don't say paint it Randy........ :stickpoke With that said. Any takers ?

... read what you just posted... unless you are a magician you are not going to be able to remove/change the spring without totally dismantling the shock. Sounds like you need to seek the help of a professional.

I guess you can cut it out...:wtf:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
highly doubt you will be able to change it without dismantling everything

·
Registered
445 Posts
It will be like every other bike shock. Take it out of the bike. Find what spring rate you would like and have it installed. This outfit is very helpful http://racetech.com/

·
Administrator
20,767 Posts
You don't have to dismantle everything.....back the pre-load adjusters off as far as possible (until they unthread from body). Remove clip holding spring retainer on shaft. Remove spring. Reverse to re-install.

Once you have the shock in hand and off the bike it becomes self-evident. If it doesn't become self-evident you need to take it to a professional and stop trying to work on the bike yourself.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havn't removed the shock just yet. I'm looking into buying a different shock (because mines toast) and fitting it on the bike. Only problem is, the new shock had a blue spring and mine is yellow. I'd like to keep the yellow spring but if it's going to be too much work I'll just get mine rebuilt.

·
Administrator
20,767 Posts
It really is pretty simple to change a spring....rebuilding the shock, on the other hand, is very difficult without the special tools and knowledge.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I would never suggest that you paint you shock. I'm a proponent of powder coating.........:jerkoff:

·
Registered
779 Posts
You don't have to dismantle everything.....back the pre-load adjusters off as far as possible (until they unthread from body). Remove clip holding spring retainer on shaft. Remove spring. Reverse to re-install.

Once you have the shock in hand and off the bike it becomes self-evident. If it doesn't become self-evident you need to take it to a professional and stop trying to work on the bike yourself.
If it's the Sach rear shock, don't you have to compress the spring in order to remove the locking plate?

·
Administrator
20,767 Posts
I would never suggest that you paint you shock. I'm a proponent of powder coating.........:jerkoff:
Better late then never.:penguin:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got the spring changed out. Piece of cake ! Thanks again Ed ! :yo:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts