MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change springs on Sachs shocks ? My shock is on the way out and I have a replacement but the spring is the wrong color. Don't tell me to paint it Randy :stickpoke

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
Is it possible to change springs on Sachs shocks ? My shock is on the way out and I have a replacement but the spring is the wrong color. Don't tell me to paint it Randy :stickpoke
OK....I'll tell you to paint it.

Or get an Ohlins TTX. :later:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK everyone here has lost sight of the reason for this post. The question is.........can I change the spring on my SACHS rear shock and if I can, how do I go about it without totally dismantling the shock ? and don't say paint it Randy........ :stickpoke With that said. Any takers ?

·
Registered
779 Posts
OK everyone here has lost sight of the reason for this post. The question is.........can I change the spring on my SACHS rear shock and if I can, how do I go about it without totally dismantling the shock ? and don't say paint it Randy........ :stickpoke With that said. Any takers ?

... read what you just posted... unless you are a magician you are not going to be able to remove/change the spring without totally dismantling the shock. Sounds like you need to seek the help of a professional.

I guess you can cut it out...:wtf:

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
You don't have to dismantle everything.....back the pre-load adjusters off as far as possible (until they unthread from body). Remove clip holding spring retainer on shaft. Remove spring. Reverse to re-install.

Once you have the shock in hand and off the bike it becomes self-evident. If it doesn't become self-evident you need to take it to a professional and stop trying to work on the bike yourself.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havn't removed the shock just yet. I'm looking into buying a different shock (because mines toast) and fitting it on the bike. Only problem is, the new shock had a blue spring and mine is yellow. I'd like to keep the yellow spring but if it's going to be too much work I'll just get mine rebuilt.

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
It really is pretty simple to change a spring....rebuilding the shock, on the other hand, is very difficult without the special tools and knowledge.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I would never suggest that you paint you shock. I'm a proponent of powder coating.........:jerkoff:

·
Registered
779 Posts
You don't have to dismantle everything.....back the pre-load adjusters off as far as possible (until they unthread from body). Remove clip holding spring retainer on shaft. Remove spring. Reverse to re-install.

Once you have the shock in hand and off the bike it becomes self-evident. If it doesn't become self-evident you need to take it to a professional and stop trying to work on the bike yourself.
If it's the Sach rear shock, don't you have to compress the spring in order to remove the locking plate?

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
I would never suggest that you paint you shock. I'm a proponent of powder coating.........:jerkoff:
Better late then never.:penguin:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got the spring changed out. Piece of cake ! Thanks again Ed ! :yo:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts