MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike's going in to get the inlet re-sealed so it's all got to come off. While they're in that far is it worth them doing the sprag at the same time? I'm thinking it'll all have to come off again eventually to do the sprag. It's not horrendous but I do get the clacking sometimes and one time it absolutely refused to start and I got an RPM sensor error on the dash.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's only a matter of time before your sprag goes. If you've experienced hard starting with the current sprag then you meet the conditions for the service bulletin that is out and I would definitely have them replace it. The alternative is to make a special trip in when it finally dies on you, possibly stranding you at a gas station far away from home. This is all assuming of course they have any replacements in stock.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
sprag?

we've been dealing with ND sprags on the Aprilia RSVR '04-'09 Forum for a long time ....obviously

it's ALWAYS been a function of a low battery/ bad charging system

if you think an 675/800 triple can eat a sprag.......

try a 1000 twin

LOLOL

:popcorn:

just remember NOBODY had an early 750 Honda sprag fail and they only had 3 rollers

:naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
we've been dealing with ND sprags on the Aprilia RSVR '04-'09 Forum for a long time ....obviously

try a 1000 twin

LOLOL

just remember NOBODY had an early 750 Honda sprag fail and they only had 3 rollers

and a Kick starter Noel ; )

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer says sprags are being done on a 'how close you are to complete failure' basis and as mine is pretty good I'm a long way down the list. They have 10 booked in right now. No worries. I was just trying to save them from doing the same job twice.

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
Dealer says sprags are being done on a 'how close you are to complete failure' basis and as mine is pretty good I'm a long way down the list. They have 10 booked in right now. No worries. I was just trying to save them from doing the same job twice.
You would think they would take advantage of that opportunity...especially if under warranty! Flat rate ain't real time so 2 birds with one stone is a winner there.
Maybe parts supply is behind and the other bikes are in worse condition and MUST be fixed.

·
Registered
181 Posts

try a 1000 twin

LOLOL

Had a 1968 CL450 sprag fail because the housing cracked. Was lucky to find a replacement on eBay. BTW, the whole battery theory was debunked months ago. Has nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with the design of the sprag which I believe is on version 3.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
BTW, the whole battery theory was debunked months ago. Has nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with the design of the sprag which I believe is on version 3.
While I agree that the sprag seems to be of a poor lomgevity design, I'd disagree that battery cpacity has "nothing to do" with premature failures.

Who "debunked" that proposal and where is the evidence?

·
Registered
96 Posts
While I agree that the sprag seems to be of a poor lomgevity design, I'd disagree that battery cpacity has "nothing to do" with premature failures.

Who "debunked" that proposal and where is the evidence?
Who debunked the battery capacity as the culprit: MV Agusta
Evidence: MV Agusta Service Bulletin for F3 sprag

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I had the crap OE battery I heard the sprag clacking a lot. Now I have a decent battery I rarely hear it. Its when the battery can't overcome the compression that the sprag struggles and you hear the clacking. MV had sprung for a decent battery from the start this would be much less of an issue. I reckon.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Who debunked the battery capacity as the culprit: MV Agusta
Evidence: MV Agusta Service Bulletin for F3 sprag
The sprag is definitely a weak-link, but a under capacity, under quality battery does nothing to help the situation.

Upgrading the sprag does not "debunk" anthing.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
.......the whole battery theory was debunked months ago. Has nothing to do with the battery and everything to do with the design of the sprag which I believe is on version 3.
Really?.......

the Aprilia RSVRFactory '04-'09 forum has been dealing with this sprag problem for 12 years

low batteries kill them

I never had an issue because of where I live I can ride everyday, batteries routinely last

7-8 years without a charger

:drummer:

·
Registered
96 Posts
The sprag is definitely a weak-link, but a under capacity, under quality battery does nothing to help the situation.

Upgrading the sprag does not "debunk" anthing.
A battery can aggravate the problem. So what? It is just indicating something that needs to be addressed SOONER, rather than later. By MV Agusta's action, we can assume they know what the problem is (or can't we?:)). Let's see how the new sprag will fare.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Joe, if I may, the battery being of poor capacity and design aggravates more than the sprag issue. As the voltage drops during the starting phase, current rises causing excess heating, gremlins caused by low voltage prevent the bike from starting. This has been gone over ad-infinitum elsewhere.

Thanks for listening,
Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's only a matter of time before your sprag goes. If you've experienced hard starting with the current sprag then you meet the conditions for the service bulletin that is out ....
How I wish I joined this forum earlier. I would have made an informed decision. Bought mine last may 06. Had all the symptoms mentioned. Sprag finally gave last weekend. Brought it today to the Ph distributor.

Aside from the sprag issue, I have all praises with the bike. Sweet & fast ride.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oxydized battery contacts improve sprag problems too,parking in a moisturized garage during winter for example For Aprilia's too...mine has 15 years, battery+sprag.:conveyer:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think that Service Bulletin isn't legit
The owner of my local MV dealer refuses to look at this forum (and others) but when I showed this thread to his factory trained technicians, they almost fell over in laughter.

They're aware the factory battery is crap but insist the battery has nothing to do with the sprag failure.

Think about it folks, most of us keep our batteries until they become weak or let us know by slower cranking. So, you're telling me if I wait until my battery becomes weak my sprag will fail?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The owner of my local MV dealer refuses to look at this forum (and others) but when I showed this thread to his factory trained technicians, they almost fell over in laughter.

They're aware the factory battery is crap but insist the battery has nothing to do with the sprag failure.

Think about it folks, most of us keep our batteries until they become weak or let us know by slower cranking. So, you're telling me if I wait until my battery becomes weak my sprag will fail?
Would you be able to ask your local dealer or his laughing techs if they indeed received a TSB stating there is a redesigned sprag clutch kit?

My 2015 B800 according to my dealer has the redesigned (v2?) sprag, but the bike is still having issues when starting. I'm just trying to figure out if the "v3 again redesigned sprag" exists or not. The TSB posted on another thread doesnt seem all that legit.

I have no opinion on the battery controversy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts