MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2015 Stradale was difficult to start yesterday and won't start today all pointing to the sprag. New battery and even in series with other good batteries it won't start. It spins quickly just but just not happening; I have tried the clutch in a bit (switch) and still no so, armed with info I have from this excellent forum I called the dealer who is waiting for recall parts anyway.

The sprag clutch is out of stock with MV and therefore we don't know when there will stock; 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months (2years?!?!?!).

I use the bike for teaching so it's essentially a tool (a fancy one) for a job and I am stuck. I'm partly thinking that I should buy another bike (FFS!) to continue my work and sell this one once it's fixed but it could be the only problem ever with the bike which is ideal for the tasks I need it for.

Does anyone have access to the parts so that I can trailer my bike to the dealers (2 1/2 hours away) with the parts for them to fix?

Can you hear the desperation from the other side of the planet (for most of you)?

Any help, thoughts or contacts welcome.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I purchased the sprag unit from Evolutionbike around 6months ago. Still have it standing by incase the one in my Dragster fails.
I would check with Evolution first as they always seem to get parts quicker than dealers....at least in my experience.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
Hi,

My 2015 Stradale was difficult to start yesterday and won't start today all pointing to the sprag. New battery and even in series with other good batteries it won't start. It spins quickly just but just not happening; I have tried the clutch in a bit (switch) and still no so, armed with info I have from this excellent forum I called the dealer who is waiting for recall parts anyway.

What spins quickly? What is not happening?

·
Registered
517 Posts
MV have a new and improved sprag. Are they in stock? Who knows but check with startwin and evolution bike.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm also in need of a new one but for a 2014 Brutale b3.

I contacted bike parts mv but they ran out. Might be another 3-4 weeks till they get new stocks.

Anyone have any ideas where to source the sprag?

-------------------------------

Incase this helps anyone - i emailed [email protected] to ask for the latest part number and they said 8000C4242 is the latest part# (As of march 2019)

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Hi,

The sprag clutch is out of stock with MV and therefore we don't know when there will stock; 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months (2years?!?!?!).

I use the bike for teaching so it's essentially a tool (a fancy one) for a job and I am stuck. I'm partly thinking that I should buy another bike (FFS!) to continue my work and sell this one once it's fixed but it could be the only problem ever with the bike which is ideal for the tasks I need it for.

Does anyone have access to the parts so that I can trailer my bike to the dealers (2 1/2 hours away) with the parts for them to fix?

Can you hear the desperation from the other side of the planet (for most of you)?

Any help, thoughts or contacts welcome.

Are you sure it's the sprag.You said the motor is spinning.Doesn't that mean the sprag is engaging and doing it's job?
When the sprag fails you would hear a metallic clunking/grinding noise.Is that happening?
You may have a different problem why it won't start.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

So the starter is working, the engine spins and there is a mechanical clunk (sounds horrible). The speed it's spinning would easily (usually) start her.

I started a few weeks ago but VERY intermittent but worsened.

Almost certainly Sprag.

Is the 'new one' different or just a replacement? What other parts are usually replaced with this?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Now it’s clear,typical sprag failure.
Why don’t you see if ‘jhollis’ will sell you his?

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
Hi,

So the starter is working, the engine spins and there is a mechanical clunk (sounds horrible). The speed it's spinning would easily (usually) start her.

I started a few weeks ago but VERY intermittent but worsened.

Almost certainly Sprag.

Is the 'new one' different or just a replacement? What other parts are usually replaced with this?

Thanks for the help guys.
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/16-general-talk-media/241191-sprag-clutch-improvements-euro-4-a.html

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
No gasket.....just sealant. Probably won't need an o-ring either.

Study the manual. Not that hard a job. Biggest hassle is one bolt near the front corner is tight to get to. Just unbolt the starter and pull it back. Don't even have to disconnect the wires.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great info guys but's become a little more complex. The other work 'under warranty' will likely be voided if I buy a sprag elsewhere. The value is probably in waiting for the part and MV replacing this and the other bits under the claim. Thanks though for the support.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You do not necessarily hear a metallic noise or clunk. The ecu needs to see a minimum of 950rpm or thereabouts (exact rpm i'm not so sure of - forgot) before it will fire. If the sprag clutch slips, it can't turn the engine fast enough therefore no spark.

I've had the 'new' and 'improved' sprag replaced on mine recently. (first one changed at 12k, second at 36k). Stock shelf item at my MV dealer in Sydney.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear ya GeorgeO I'd ship one over but I'd have to pay for the work and all of the other recalls and campaigns too; I will just sit tight (and be grumpily frustrated).
I have borrowed a bike for my work so it's not all bad news (but it aint no MV); it's the ideal tool for the job but the 'Fizz' it doesn't have.

C

1 - 19 of 19 Posts