MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great info Chuck. Love the detail.

Can we assume that the part described is the 8000C4242?

If so I will order the 8000B2791 bearing and the 8000B2794 spacer to complete my upgraded parts group on hand for contigency.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Currently Gido has my bike for a starter clutch replacement.

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info Chuck. Love the detail.

Can we assume that the part described is the 8000C4242?

If so I will order the 8000B2791 bearing and the 8000B2794 spacer to complete my upgraded parts group on hand for contigency.
I would order the Euro 4 parts.

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently Gido has my bike for a starter clutch replacement.
Eventually I suppose mine will go.....and Gido will be the guy doing the fix.

Make sure he is giving you the Euro 4 parts!

·
Registered
527 Posts
So, I take away from this video 3 things:
1. the original design was not optimal and has now been improved. (only time will tell effectiveness of the counter measured parts)
2. though not said directly; having a fully charged battery in good condition, may prevent failure. @ 2:20 the reverse direction causes a "hit"
3. the improved part can be fitted to pre Euro4 spec bikes.

Do I (we) buy a new starter clutch and put it on the shelf or, wait for a failure to happen?

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just had my 3rd sprag installed last month by warranty. My F3 is a 2016 euro 3. The repair order says the part is "8000C4242"
Really hope that means it's this newer design.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just had my 3rd sprag installed last month by warranty. My F3 is a 2016 euro 3. The repair order says the part is "8000C4242"
Really hope that means it's this newer design.
I don't think so. Bike-parts-mv reports that this part number has been discontinued. My guess is that this is also a fairly new update on their site since the video itself was just published a few days ago. Star Twin reports that 4242 is still available but I'm guessing that neither they nor bike-parts have even received the updated part number yet.

My suggestion is for everyone to be patient for a couple of weeks and wait for the new part number to be released. I am glad that MV didn't just leave this issue hanging, never to be resolved.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't think so. Bike-parts-mv reports that this part number has been discontinued. My guess is that this is also a fairly new update on their site since the video itself was just published a few days ago. Star Twin reports that 4242 is still available but I'm guessing that neither they nor bike-parts have even received the updated part number yet.

My suggestion is for everyone to be patient for a couple of weeks and wait for the new part number to be released. I am glad that MV didn't just leave this issue hanging, never to be resolved.

You might be right there. I don't know who owns Bike-parts-mv, but it does list it as discontinued.
These Brian Gillen videos overview all the updates made for the euro 4 bikes, which have been selling at the dealers for quite a while.
But maybe the sprag has been further updated...

also, that youtube account is reposting older videos. That starter video was originally posted 8 months ago...
https://vimeo.com/276224833

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It gives me a sliver of hope. My bike is currently waiting a new sprag clutch at this time.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Video is not a new video... the listing for the part shows as "contact" which probably means it is in short supply? 4242 is the newest part based on the information I have.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Sorry to be dumb here but all '18 and on are Euro 4?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I contacted bike-parts-mv because my Stradale is starting to become hard to start, I can hear the Sprag issue. Here is their response:

"
Hi Ken, 8000C4242 is the up-dated version.

Stock is hard to come by at the moment, we maybe able to get one for you next month.

---
Kind regards

On 2019-03-19 15:27, [email protected] wrote:

bike-parts-mv.com
[email protected]
Model name:STRADALE 800

Comments :I need a new sprag clutch but I understand there is a re-enigneered part from MV. This is the current Part number : 8000C4242 Is there an update to this?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Stock is hard to come by at the moment, we maybe able to get one for you next month.
Which is why MV ownership can be a frustrating experience. :| I bought a Street Triple to fill in the voids.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Which is why MV ownership can be a frustrating experience. :| I bought a Street Triple to fill in the voids.
The Triumph 765 Street Triple was at the top of my list. Until, just by chance, I saw the MV Turismo.
The TV's longer suspension travel, and cruise control feature of the MV tipped the scales.
So here we are.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Simple question that I thought I'd find by searching but I've gone through a lot of threads so don't shoot me for asking this:

What is the price for the parts if the sprag clutch fails? How many hours of labour? In other words how much should I expect the bill to be? (I'm living in Scandinavia so I'm asking for parts prices which shouldn't vary too much, and amount of labour so I can calculate how much that amounts to with local pricing.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
It was 3 hours plus $75 for parts last time I had it done (luckily with a month left on warranty)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, so the parts are not expensive and the labour is only about 3h? Thanks for the info!

I figured as much since I saw that just about all the parts I could think of needing replacement would be only just over 200€, and the sprag clutch gear and bearing parts themselves were about 100€ over here. But I couldn't be sure without confirmation.

I'm selling my Brutale (never thought I would, but so I have so little use for it up here in the North and the roads are in absolutely horrible condition...maybe I'll get an F3 for track use later on) and the buyer was trying to haggle by saying it might cost $1000. And my sprag clutch has been 100% the whole time since 2013, no signs of any issues... (knock on wood)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts