MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why didn't mv agusta go with full ohlins on everything? ohlins damper....marzocchi forks...sachs rear shock.......why mix it up? and why didn't they put brembos on the bike instead of nissins? i know the bike is a beast i've always just wondered this. can someone please enlighten me?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
jskipper said:
why didn't MV Agusta go with full ohlins on everything? ohlins damper....marzocchi forks...sachs rear shock.......why mix it up? and why didn't they put brembos on the bike instead of nissins? i know the bike is a beast i've always just wondered this. can someone please enlighten me?
Why is it that everyone swears by ohlins and brembo???
not all Ohlins shocks are race spec, and there's many a brembo brake setup out there that doesn't even get close to the nissan setup on an F4.
{Granted the current F4 setup getting a touch old by 2006 standards}

You here people say...ooooh, it's got bremmmmmmbooooo's.
big f*ckin deal....it's not the label on the casing that makes them work, it's how effeciant the actual brakes are, how they relate to the actual motocycle they are attached to etc....my 748 had brembos and they where absolutely shit compared to the feel and power of the MV that followed it.
My mate had 4 pad brembos attached to ducati corse radial master cylinders on his 748R...they were friggin powerful, but the feel........what feel ?
I could still brake harder on my F4 simply because the brakes suit the bike perfectly and you can "feel" the things comming on, how they are grabbing and reacting to your input........

I kinda like the fact my bike doesn't have Brembos, nor Ohlins..
OK...end of rant, feel better now :laughing:

Anyway...to answer your question, I'm guessing CRC found the performance specs they were looking in other suppliers rather than brembo and ohlins, possibly at a better price...maybe suppliers like Nissan were the only suppliers that would entertain designing a brake system specifically for the F4/Brutale ??
I'm sure there's a stack of business reasons why the ultimate decision was made to run sachs and nissan on the base F4's....

I thinks it's great that CRC turned their back on the "big labels" and did their own thing....similar to every other component on their bikes...and that why we love em!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I thought Brembo was Mv's first choice for brakes and that only reason they didn't use them was because Brembo wanted the money up front rather than post sale.

I'm still undecided on the brakes as I've not had enough experience yet with the Nissins that I fell qualified enough to comment and will bleed mine and change pads before passing judgement but on first impressions I prefer the "bite feel" of the Brembo's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Velocemoto said:
there's many a brembo brake setup out there that doesn't even get close to the nissan setup on an F4....
.my 748 had brembos and they where absolutely shit compared to the feel and power of the MV that followed it.
My mate had 4 pad brembos attached to ducati corse radial master cylinders on his 748R...they were friggin powerful, but the feel........what feel ?

!

AGREE - stock brembos on my various Ducatis and laverda 750S were shite comared to the Nissins on the MV

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Why is it that everyone swears by ohlins and brembo???
not all Ohlins shocks are race spec, and there's many a brembo brake setup out there that doesn't even get close to the nissan setup on an F4.
{Granted the current F4 setup getting a touch old by 2006 standards}

You here people say...ooooh, it's got bremmmmmmbooooo's.
big f*ckin deal....

You are just so spot on veloce, and I am so glad we have members that have the track/race experience to voice a un-biased opinion....
This desire to have a brand name that will work better in some way, and that really only fills in the the gaps of our inabillity in our own riding skills amazes me, but I guess thats marketing for you!!

Put a bit of tape over the brand of whatever, and see if it now meets your expectations...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ridden plenty of bikes and found none with better feel than my MV. Maybe more stopping power, but that doesn't give confidence(at least not to me) I enjoy the feel, feedback and predictability that the nissins always afford.

I am always open to try other setups, but only if it furthers the goal posts already set. I only froth with the thought of when MV bring out their next generation in the braking department.

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh dear .... don't know if I should enter this debate.... but here goes :stickpoke ,

I put 4 pad calipers from a 999R on Febur radial mounts attached to custom goodridge braided lines mated to a Brembo 19x20 radial master cylinder ... awesome !!!!!!!!! however the discs don't seem to be able to cope so will be fitting a full set of braking wave discs next week

On my 916 fitted Brembo cast iron full floaters, stock calipers braided lines but still not as good as the above set up, will add the 19x20 and that should fix it up nicely. :laughing:

But Pete's right Brembo ain't the be all and end all, Bimota wanted to ditch the brembo's on the DB1 because they were shite and were looking at the UK lockheed set up before a last minute change of heart. Nissin make awesome brakes, which is why Honda and Triumph have them as OEM parts.

As far as shockies go, I have had Showa on the 916 and Sachs on the MV, changed the 916 to Ohlins and MV to Bitubo. Had Technoflex (Jeurgens) on my old ZXR750M. I think the Bitubo rocks and is the best. Value for money is definitely the Technoflex and the Ohlins ... shit it's an overpriced badge on a decent shock to be frank, better of revalving your stock shock then wasting money on buying an expensive sticker.

M&J you should get your butt over here and ride this set up before I strip it and put it back to stock and sell it of. (will start putting the track MVtogether soon as I finished the Ducati project bike) :conveyer:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
yellow900 said:
Oh dear .... don't know if I should enter this debate.... but here goes :stickpoke ,
I put 4 pad calipers from a 999R on Febur radial mounts attached to custom goodridge braided lines mated to a Brembo 19x20 radial master cylinder ... awesome !!!!!!!!! however the discs don't seem to be able to cope so will be fitting a full set of braking wave discs next week
:conveyer:
Yellow, I'm so ham-fisted when it comes to braking, I think I could use your 999r as a personal catapult!!! :smoking:

I'm kinda releaved some of you feel similar about "labelled" parts. I thought I may have got a roasting for that original post. :toothless

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think that MV's original choise was Brembo, but they didn't want to make a special design for a small bike company (that's what I've read somewhere a few years ago).
Anyway, now that I've fitted a PR19 to my MV I find the Nissin more powerful than my 748S Brembo.
Ohlins are really great... for my dad's Guzzi ;-)
I've tried an Hyperpro steering damper once, it's far better than the Ohlins, because you can adjust slow and high speed.
I saw an Ohlins SBK class fork at the last Bike show in Paris last year, this one must one of the best fork in the world... but this one's 30.000€... plus tax...
The Marzo on my motorcycle is perfect for me, so is the one on my bike!
Plus Ohlins is owned buy Yamaha... Showa by Honda if I'm correct.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Yellow, I'm so ham-fisted when it comes to braking, I think I could use your 999r as a personal catapult!!! :smoking:

I'm kinda releaved some of you feel similar about "labelled" parts. I thought I may have got a roasting for that original post. :toothless
Veloce, I know your views on the Nissin V Brembo's and thought my post might spark a response :) though it was not intended as a :stickpoke...and seriously I personally couldn't care less about a brand name (though I know there are plenty who do)... only in performance. As I said in my first post, my experience with the Nissins is minimal at best and from what I've read I'm sure if they might benefit from changing to sintered pads and maybe being bled but in what was my first impression I prefer the the 4 pad radial Brembo's on the 999s :naughty: I may well change my opinion when I've had more time etc but for now. :cross: :laughing:

·
Registered
107 Posts
... if only id used those awesome F****n Nissan's on the last bend of the black spur last year, i wouldnt have spent the last seven months fixing myself and my bike...

·
Registered
114 Posts
yellow900 said:
M&J you should get your butt over here and ride this set up before I strip it and put it back to stock and sell it of. (will start putting the track MVtogether soon as I finished the Ducati project bike) :conveyer:
LEAVING NOW :later: :smoking: Still nursing these ribs you know :blush:

Funny part is whenever I park my bike at a dealer, I sometimes get onlookers who admire and some just dying to fault the bike, and generally to them the brakes seem to be their scapegoat. As though it doesn't fill some unwritten criteria for exotica, ah well their loss!

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts