MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:stickpoke well im hoping someone can help me out on this one b/c its never happend to me with all of the bikes i've ridden/owned

ok here i go, today i was getting ready for work to pick up a check, so i pull the bike out, flip the key and ...nothing...no power to the bike at all. so i figure its a weak/dead battery so i decide to push start it and just get to the office (like i've done many times with my ducati). so i start pushing it up a small hill backwards so i can ride down the hill...and all of a sudden the bike starts...(it was in neutral and i was pushing it from the front) :wtf:

it was strange to me, but i decided to get going since i was running late. so im riding down the freeway....no problems at all, bike is running strong and im in 6th gear in the fast lane. all of sudden the bike just dies!!! throttle opened in 6th gear and the bike just cuts off completely. i pull the clutch in but the bike still slows down dramatically....so here i am in the 4th lane over trying to get over to the shoulder dodging cars rolling at a mere 20mph. let me tell you THAT WAS FUN :wtf:

i pop the seat to check the battery connection and everything looks good on it, and i cant figure out the problem. i'll be taking her back to the dealership tomorrow to sort this out hopefully.

i wait for 2 hours for the tow truck to come by, baking in the sun wanting to kick my bike.

a great way to ruin this beautiful sunny day here in so cal, but atleast i didn't get hurt and bike was towed home in one piece.

does anyone have any diagnosis for this?? b/c im stumped.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alvin, i'm just confused about the whole ordeal. i'm glad i bring my canyon dancers in my bag just in case...haha...i made sure the tow truck guy didn't leave a scratch on my bike.

i guess i'll take the ducati for a spin since its a nice day and i dont want to waste it....but i sure wanted to ride my spr. ah...the joys of italian motorcycles... :blah:

·
Registered
456 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on my Speed Triple and it was a fuse of all things. I went into the garage and had starting problems just like you. Finally starts. So I'm driving along and all of a sudden....BAM it shuts down. I'm in the left lane just like you and I have to get over to the right to get off the road. Definitely scary! Get that checked out at the dealer. Glad to hear that you are okay. Also glad to hear that you made sure that the tow truck did not scratch your bike :) Because you know that they will!

I felt that pride thing at that time too. I'm sitting with my new Speed Triple looking beautiful on the side of the road when bikes that SHOULD be sitting on the side of the road are driving by. Could ONLY imagine how I would feel having this happen on my BEAUTIFUL MV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had similar problems with my '02 F4 1+1. It ended up being a fuse as well. Have you washed the bike recently? My problem was the result of water in one of the bike's fuse boxes. Check your fuses and use canned air to clean out the female fuse slots. Good luck!

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
My R6 has had a problem sorta like that, dying all of the sudden in the middle of the freeway, except I was able to restart it before it even slows down too much, the problem was the Power Commander; do you have one in the SPR? Dynojet replaced mine for free, but imagine if you have it cranked over in 2nd gear and with the throttle open and this happenes? the engine braking is enough to cause a serious highside... in fact I have heard of that happening to someone on the R6messagenet, very surprised that there was no class action law suit.

Not a good thing... I am so sorry to hear that you have a problem with this new hottie, hopefully PI can find hte problem and fix it FAST!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry to hear that jskipper, just hang in there, I myself had battery problems the first day taking the bike out after winter storage. Had to jump start the bike, but a nice 30 minute ride around the freeway fixed her up nicely! :king:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after reading all the posts, i'll check the fuse to see if it's it....its weird though...

has anyone ever heard about a bike starting up in nuetral pushing it backwards??? thats the strangest thing to me i think, maybe the fuse kicked in b/c the key was on...i dunno.

i haven't washed the bike since i got it, b/c it doesn't need a bath yet, i'll check the fuse and if it doesn't work she'll be back at Pro Italia tomorrow.

thanks for all the help guys....much appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok update time.

i go to my garage to check the fuses and turn the key just for shits and giggles...and the BIKE TURNS ON. no problems whatsover now...i hit the ignition and she starts up just fine.
:wtf:

i know italian bikes can be temperamental but what the hell?? i'm still going to take her to Pro Italia to get her checked out b/c today scared me a bit.

fuses look good, so i dunno what her problem is. maybe b/c i put mobil gas in her instead of chevron?? haha...we'll see.

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK, I'm not an Agusta owner (yet) but I've been riding bikes for over 25 years, and know a thing or two about turning a wrench, and it's mechanically impossible for the bike to be "jump started" by moving it backwards in N (or fwd to that). If it started, it had to be something more electrical than mechanical, and with that a short to your iginition module / switch or perhaps the Agusta's computer may have been the cause. The bike may have also been in N but after moving it, it could have also slipped into gear (happens all the time) without the gear selector being depressed. I'm not familar with the electrical diagram of the Agusta, but I've seen many cars and bikes continute to run with the key out or off. I have also seen some bikes start when you pull the handlebars in (crossed wires, grounding the ignition). The problem can be something as simple as a loose connection, end, fuse, relay or as complicated as a splice (short / ground) somewhere within the bikes electrical harness, which can become a task and half to find. Either way, if you can have it checked out, do so as soon as possible. These sort of "small electrical" problems can grow to be bigger problems if not corrected. The posts about the "fuse" getting wet and so fourth, would be a great place to start, and I just wanted to throw in some advice for those whom have had that problem, befor you replace the fuse, apply a thin coat of what's known as "electrical contact cream" (well ok its not cream but rather more a silicone like material, but many call it that because it looks like white hand cream) and it will help keep moisture and water away from the terminals. This may not be a 100% fix, but it should help out a great deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey jskipper,

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your bike? I have having engine cut outs myself. Mostly when I pull up to a light and shift from 1 to N. It happened also going through a sharp turn from 2 to 1, which scarred the crap out of me.

Thanks

Rags

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had the same issue last season.....always check the charger fuse when your bike dies unexpectedly and always carry a spare with you...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
jskipper said:
i know italian bikes can be temperamental but what the hell??
Tell me about it...

After my BUDDY got into an accident, we got his bike on the tow truck and were ready to go and MY BIKE didn't want to start. :wtf:

It would, but it would sound really rough, popping and whatever then cut out. So I had to keep the RPMs up and rev it a couple times. it would STILL cut out. After about 2 minutes of doing that...she ran and purred fine. It was an isolated incident and I have NO IDEA how or what the hell happenned.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe the first thing to check is to see if you have gas in it?
Then Electrical system like every one else said.

Same thing happen to me a while back with my cbr600rr.

I was riding on the freeway and i tried to open the throttle to go faster but couldn't and endup on the shoulder. Turn out i was out of gas, but my gas gauge was still telling me i have two bar left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts