·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
latest issue of sport rider compares:
MV F4 1000S
Ducati 999S
Yamaha R1LE

oddly, the yammie wins the column tabulation for points, but 2 of the three riders pick the MV as the bike to have.

they rode buttonwillow, one of the shorter layouts (not the full track). the duc posted the fastest lap time, 1:08:060, with the F4 next @ 1:08:690, and the R1 last at 1:09:212.

btw, the F4 is FAST. it flat out kills the other two in straight line stuff. 1/4 mile was a 10.162, with the R1 next at a 10.256, duc last @ 10.416. and it also beat both in 60-80, and 80-100 roll ons.

they also LOVED the EBS (have to admit, i'm a fan of it too). said it works better than some actual slipper clutch units they've tried.

the F4 lost some points in the following areas: ergonomics (go figure), power delivery (can you say "sensitive to the right hand"), and instrument/controls (mirrors? what mirrors? they're elbow viewers...)

alex

·
Registered
225 Posts
spalding12 said:
interesting comparo...
but, you can never take this "subjective magazine writer" stuff too seriously
as we all know
Very true, but out of the 3 bikes it's pretty much a no rainer as the Mv1000 is streets ahead in performance.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Aprilia said:
No Aprilia RSVR Factory?! sacrilege!
Gotta agree, major :nutkick: ...maybe some advertising ass kissing involved there.:heart: :baddeal: ...and...

R1's...exoctic... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: must have missed that memo...I mean they're great bikes but exotic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
822 Posts
It "kills" the others in the quarter? The greatest margin is less than 3/10ths of a second, lets not get carried away, the other 2 bikes are great performers as well.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I could see them maybe giving the win to the Duc because of the lap time, but definitely not the R1. Also given the fact that Ergonomics and mirrors are most likely not the swing vote when someone is considering a MV or Duc, nor should those factors carry the same weight as the engine or other major component. And lastly, the editors opinions pick the MV, I think thats what it boils down to in an italian exotic, its what you feel in the seat of your pants, not the numbers.....kinda like a hot woman....damn hard to handle and maintain, but when you go for a ride.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Some Guy said:
It "kills" the others in the quarter? The greatest margin is less than 3/10ths of a second, lets not get carried away, the other 2 bikes are great performers as well.

3/10ths of a second in the quarter is a lot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rockethouse said:
Gotta agree, major :nutkick: ...maybe some advertising ass kissing involved there.:heart: :baddeal: ...and...

R1's...exoctic... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: must have missed that memo...I mean they're great bikes but exotic :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The only thing exotic about the R1LE is the price and the US doesn't even get the all black version. We get that holy ghey yellow and black abomination. I can't believe that the Aprilia was not in that comparison. Piaggio most likely had something to do with the absence of the Aprilia. :rant: The new Aprilia RSVR Factory won masterbike this year if that means anything. It most likely means squat because most comparison tests can fall prey to extreme brand bias at times. One should ride all the bikes they can and decide for themselves which bike is the best. Don't base a purchase on others opinions. All three of those bikes in that test kick ass and are more bike than most of us will ever need. The Italian bikes are in a league of their own and always will be.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Aprilia said:
No Aprilia RSVR Factory?! sacrilege!

Eh the MV already beat it (and the R1) in '04 at release, why renew the pain :laughing: At least the R1 in this test was an LE and upgraded more than a gold frame, or something :stickpoke :laughing:

This is great fun. An extension of my riding group's ride banter but on the interwebthingy.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
chad951 said:
The new Aprilia RSVR Factory won masterbike this year if that means anything

Chad, you or someone else may know the answer to this about Masterbike. Is this the very first year that they did not declare the winner from the absolute lowest lap time? From what I remember this is the first year they used an average instead of the flat-out best. Comes down to robbing Pier to pay Paolo in this situation considering our previously odd-man-out-misfit marques of Aprilia and MV but our honour is at stake afterall.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I wonder what the outcome would have been if they used a 1000R instead of the now 3 years old 'S' design? :confused:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
maybe they considered the R1 exotic because of the price. but the new cajun one (i think done by jesse james or somebody) out performs the LE. anyway, i dont' know why they don't include the aprilia. i think that would be a good thing. especially since it won masterbike.

anyone see the new cycleworld where the senna is up against the xerox999r? didn't read it, but i think they said the duc belongs on the track...it's where it outshined the senna. don't think they picked one over the other per se, but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
john said:
I wonder what the outcome would have been if they used a 1000R instead of the now 3 years old 'S' design? :confused:
then they would have had to use the 999R, and they still would have gave it to the yammie due to cost savings. :jerkoff: but i BET they all secretly want to take the MV home and bed it. :hump:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I found myself watching a free DVD that came with the UK Superbike Magazine a year or so ago. It had a back-to-back road and track test of F4-1000S, CBR1000RR, ZX10R, R1, and GSX-R1000.

They placed the MV last in both road and track categories, without really saying anything about any of the bikes. (They did say the MV had a great engine, but it wasn't user-firendly.)

I just don't take much notice of anything any journo has to say these days. Absolutely any modern sportsbike is going to be superb and splitting subjective hairs to make "winners" does the rest an enormous disservice. Plus I bet there's a good chance they're all just wangling to get their own long-term test bikes. (And know MV don't give them..)

Si

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, these comparisons are pretty much worthless. every single big-displacement sportbike that any of these companies make (ducati, mv, honda, yamaha, honda, so on...) is WAY more than most of us can ride anyway.

but discussing which one is best is way more fun than doing something eles...

...like work.

alex

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I wonder why they used the S??? That's the 'bottom of the barrel' MV, where the 999S is the middle ground, and the R1LE is top-o-da-line...the other mags used the R, why didn't they??? I dunno how much of a difference it woulda mae, but I woulda liked seeing that more...

·
Registered
71 Posts
JamesC said:
Chad, you or someone else may know the answer to this about Masterbike. Is this the very first year that they did not declare the winner from the absolute lowest lap time? From what I remember this is the first year they used an average instead of the flat-out best. Comes down to robbing Pier to pay Paolo in this situation considering our previously odd-man-out-misfit marques of Aprilia and MV but our honour is at stake afterall.
Here's a link to the thread on our Aprilia forum if anyone wishes to read about it. I don't remember the specifics because I honestly skimmed over the post a while ago. Lots of good information in this thread though.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86144&highlight=masterbike

1 - 20 of 43 Posts