MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
They are both stunning bikes (i have ridden both) but the mv oozes quality that the trumpet cannot obtain,and the desirability factor alone screams mv.To get the trumpet up to any where near the Bruties style you would have to cover it in carbon and every available extra.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also had the chance to ride both of them. I like both of them but If money is ont an issue I would go for the Brutale. Is a nicer bike to look at and more exotic. The ST feels a little top heavy. The brutale handles very nice. If I buy a naked triumph I will buy the street triple, that thing screams and pulls really nice. It handles way better than the Speed triple.

·
Registered
851 Posts
+1 on the Street over the Speed
+10 on the 1090 - in a different league and it's sort of true you do get what you pay for :)
I believe a test ride of those three and you will know

·
Registered
456 Posts
get the triumph if you want a bike where you can get parts for it from the dealer in a few days if you need it, namely an oil filter.

get the mv if you want an exclusive bike, a bike so exclusive that the dealer won't know when they can get in an oil filter for the bike that is new so the old ones dont fit on it.

in hindsight, the 1090 i bought is a great and fun bike to ride that is not in question at all.

but when it comes to getting anything like accessories/parts, etc, and we are talking simple things like an oil filter and service manuals, its an absolute nightmare to get anything from a dealer that then has to get the parts from mv. These aren't even major parts i'm asking for these are things that MV should have sent extras to dealers with the bikes, but for some reason they didn't.

Others may say "that is the price of admission" maybe so, but its something to consider as the msrp is only the first step in the price of admission that you will pay. MV will seriously test your patience if you ever need parts for the bike.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Took the words right out of my mouth. The other things that I would add is $$$$ (price) and warranty. You need to keep in mind the cost of maintenance, parts and upgrades (if you go that route). Is there a difference when it comes to the warranty? Next ride them both, then make a decision. I would have to say, it's not going to be an easy decision.

get the triumph if you want a bike where you can get parts for it from the dealer in a few days if you need it, namely an oil filter.

get the mv if you want an exclusive bike, a bike so exclusive that the dealer won't know when they can get in an oil filter for the bike that is new so the old ones dont fit on it.

in hindsight, the 1090 i bought is a great and fun bike to ride that is not in question at all.

but when it comes to getting anything like accessories/parts, etc, and we are talking simple things like an oil filter and service manuals, its an absolute nightmare to get anything from a dealer that then has to get the parts from mv. These aren't even major parts i'm asking for these are things that MV should have sent extras to dealers with the bikes, but for some reason they didn't.

Others may say "that is the price of admission" maybe so, but its something to consider as the msrp is only the first step in the price of admission that you will pay. MV will seriously test your patience if you ever need parts for the bike.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had a speed triple for 3yrs before buying a 1090 so here are my comments:

Handling and suspension, MV is better.
Brakes, MV is better.
Everyday usability, Triumph wins, more user friendly fuelling.
Performance, MV wins, no doubt, far more ferocious.
Fuel consumption, MV is very very poor, Triumph is excellent.
Grin factor, MV!

If you have the money and some to spare buy the 1090, if you are being stretched financially buy the Speed Triple, both are excellent bikes built to a price and for a purpose.

Shaun

·
Registered
514 Posts
Help me decide on which! Pros and cons. The Brutale is like 9k more!
Where are you located ? In oz you can get a new 1078rr for approx $2k cheaper than the new speed triple. The new brutale is a little more. I've owned both and agree with others comments. Both great bikes but the I'd take the MV.

·
Administrator
20,411 Posts
MV Parts supply in USA is not bad. Was at one time, but much better in past couple of years (thanks again Harley).

Here is my 2 cents worth (probably worth even less...but it's a saying)":
Triumph Speed triple is really nice (new model even nicer).....but it ISN'T a MV !!

·
Registered
786 Posts
piss easy decision. If you have the money then the MV comprehensively demolishes the Triumph. The only question is - can you afford it? The question isn't wether the MV is worth the extra money because it is. Both bikes are great value, but in different leagues.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As all have stated before, the MV. I had a Street triple R and I loved it, great bike, great handling ok build quality and servicing was cheap. I still think its the best value for money bike on the planet but.......

its not an MV. Always wanted another and now I have I won't have anything else again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have just faced the same decision. Having owned and loved a S3 for the past 3 years, I had pretty strong links with the trumpet and was sad to see her go. The new model is fantastic to ride, but it lacks the outright performance of the brutale, and doesnt have many of the extras like TC and a slipper clutch. The triumph will be a better bike if you do long rides though. Its hardly slow, and has a better seat, and more leg room. Lets call it the practical solution.

So to repeat what others have said, if money matters, get the speedy and add a few extras to make it a bit special. You will still have a great bike and 5 k in your pocket. If you want the best bike, buy the MV. Its better dynamically in almost every area. And lets face it... its more cool :smoking:

As for me... I plumped for the best. Ordered my 1090rr last week!:yo:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I have just faced the same decision. Having owned and loved a S3 for the past 3 years, I had pretty strong links with the trumpet and was sad to see her go. The new model is fantastic to ride, but it lacks the outright performance of the brutale, and doesnt have many of the extras like TC and a slipper clutch. The triumph will be a better bike if you do long rides though. Its hardly slow, and has a better seat, and more leg room. Lets call it the practical solution.

So to repeat what others have said, if money matters, get the speedy and add a few extras to make it a bit special. You will still have a great bike and 5 k in your pocket. If you want the best bike, buy the MV. Its better dynamically in almost every area. And lets face it... its more cool :smoking:

As for me... I plumped for the best. Ordered my 1090rr last week!:yo:
Yeah! +1! (1078RR...)

·
Registered
76 Posts
If $$$ is an issue and I assume it is as you made a point to say that the MV is 9k more, then go for what you will feel comfortable paying. I went out on a limb and got the 1090 and have ZERO regrets. It rides a hell of lot better than the speed IMHO and talking about a sexy machine! :mouthwate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i walk inot the DUC dealer next door and they want to cut me a sweet deal on a new streetfighter...like 4k offf

·
Administrator
20,411 Posts
I would prefer the Speed triple over the Street Fighter....

But neither of those is a

MV :stickpoke

·
Registered
456 Posts
do not factor in the mv traction control into the equation, from what everyone on this board has written, nobody has any inkling of it ever working, even the test magazines can't really tell if its working and people have gotten the rear wheel to spin with the traction control on.

the slipper clutch however does work with the 1090 and is a good add on that is built into the bike.

remember the mv may be slightly better in most ways but it is like someone said a bunch more money. the dealer network is a lot more sparse than even the triumph dealers which are a bit sparse.

and mv is a much smaller company than triumph so even though the parts distribution has gotten better than the past it is right now nowhere near being acceptable if you compare it even ducati. and ducati is small compared to kawa/honda/suzuki/yama

its something to consider. i know we all like to only think about the good aspects of the bike, and the 1090 when running well does perform great especially in the twistys,

but it does come at a price when you need parts and also like others say its a gas guzzler that uses premium gasoline. something to consider with today's rising gas prices if you are using it for a daily ride and cost is a concern.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts