MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my SR is fitted with Champion G54V plugs. Anyone know if they are stock fitment? They're not mentioned on MVFAQ.

Some crap on the net about Jordan F1 using them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
JamesC said:
There are several possibilities:

NGK CR9EB for 750
CHAMPION G 54 V for SPR/SR/Senna
NGK CR9EKB for Senna
NGK R 0045 - J 10 for Senna
Hello,
are the Champion G54V the only (good) choise for an SPR? or is there any better choise (I've got some staling problems at idle speed)? Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I only put the plugs that are a suggested fix rather than the complete list of the OEM fitments, some of which were causing problems. If you think a complete list of OEM fitments is helpful I will add the others but I wanted to highlight the change TO rather than the change from. Let me know if you think the 'from' is helpful?

Machine, the NGK CR9EIX iridium are the current preferred IMO.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
JamesC said:
I only put the plugs that are a suggested fix rather than the complete list of the OEM fitments, some of which were causing problems. If you think a complete list of OEM fitments is helpful I will add the others but I wanted to highlight the change TO rather than the change from. Let me know if you think the 'from' is helpful?

The from holds interest to me as it does the thread starter but it would not in any way sway me from going with the to.

·
Registered
293 Posts
JamesC said:

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JamesC. Info helps to know you've got plugs intended for the engine. :)

Are the NGK EIX's made without an earth leg, like conventional plugs? They look like they are around AUD$20 a pop. Wait and see if I have an issue with the current plugs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
How hard are they to change?

How much work is involved in changing the plugs? Last time I had the plastics off I couldn't really even see them. When I do change them I would like to go iridium. I guess I will need the NGK CR9EIX's for the F4-1000 :humpother . correct?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Paul Kelly said:
How much work is involved in changing the plugs? Last time I had the plastics off I couldn't really even see them. When I do change them I would like to go iridium. I guess I will need the NGK CR9EIX's for the F4-1000 :humpother . correct?
Hi there,

Requires taking half the bike apart! :bawling:

1) Fairings and bellypan off
2) Frame/Tank panels off
3) Injector covers off
4) Front nose cone off
5) Electrical/Relay covers off
6) Air tubes off
7) Tank off
8) Airbox out
9) hey presto!

First time takes some working out, there after it is a relatively easy to take apart.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Paul Kelly said:
That sucks.
Know where your coming from. But after you do it once you can do it over and over at ease.

If you do go ahead and start taking it apart, becareful when disconnecting the fuel connectors (x2), ideally you want another person to help you lift the tank while you disconnect. Also when removing the injector covers, careful not to loose the rubber wellnuts, if you do, do not start the bikes, they will be sitting inside the airbox or on top of throttle bodies.

All the best
eMoto

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
is there a good time to change from stocks to Iridium. i have been thinking about doing that but wondered if they would change my custom map at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i just did this last week. new plugs won't change your map because it won't change the timing and they can't change your air/fuel mixture either. the only thing it should do is make your burn more consistant assuming the plugs are better. let's see if someone betters my analysis....

only trick i had was getting the old plugs out. my spark plug socket was a little too fat due to gasket material making the hole a little tight. patience is always the virtue. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up guy's. In all seriousness I kind of figured it wouldn't be a 1-2-3 thing, but the tips you gave should help.
Thanks
pk :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Greeneggs&ham said:
is there a good time to change from stocks to Iridium

Today :)

Only the cost of 4 CR9EIX plugs and 4 wellnuts :king:

Unless you buy and use an ignition tuner like the powercommander add-on or a plasmabooster you won't be too concerned about ignition and spark - your eprom will take care of that, as style said.

John/airfuel, do you have occaision to work with these PCIII 'ignition modules' and if so, on an MV as of yet? Interested to hear more about this if so.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
JamesC said:
Today :

John/airfuel, do you have occaision to work with these PCIII 'ignition modules' and if so, on an MV as of yet? Interested to hear more about this if so.
Usually, optimizing timing on a stock bike gives small gains. Usually not worth the long dyno time needed for trial and error tuning. It is best for engines that have extensive work done to them. High compression pistons, race gas, head work etc.
I do it plenty on Harleys as it is built into the PC's for those bikes, but these guys do major work on the motors and tweaking the timing helps.

Never have done it on an MV.

John T

1 - 20 of 28 Posts