MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I´m throwing in a set of NGK CR9´s on my 312RR and I´d like to know how much gap I should use... is .4mm ok??

·
Administrator
19,055 Posts
NGKs plugs are supposedly pre-set at correct gap, but for what bike? The service specs in your manual should have the gap listed.

Iridium plugs are easily damaged when checking gap by the way.

·
Registered
819 Posts
All spark plugs are technically pre-gapped. The issues is what they are gapped for??? Plugs are used in a wide array of different products and they can't all be gapped for each specific application from the factory because they don't know what the plug will be used for.

So NEVER assume ANY spark plug is has the proper gap out of the box. ALWAYS check and double check for yourself. While iridium plugs can be fragile if one is ham fisted in their handling of the gapping procedure its not very difficult to properly gap an IR plug is one is careful. The trick is to not put any pressure on the tip inside the insulator. Make all your adjustments on the electrode from the outside. And be very careful not to force a feeler gauge into the gap.

Manual says gap for an NGK CR9 EB for all 1000cc motors is supposed to be .7-.8mm There is no mention of the IR plug so therefore no cross reference.

EDIT: Didn't i send you a link to copies of manuals for the MV?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manual says gap for an NGK CR9 EB for all 1000cc motors is supposed to be .7-.8mm There is no mention of the IR plug so therefore no cross reference.

EDIT: Didn't i send you a link to copies of manuals for the MV?
Yes you did! I just checked thanks!

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
if the gap stock is 0.7-0.8 thats what the coils will handle.......doesn't matter what electrode the plug has......

my RD-350 trick bike ran NGK BE-9 plugs gapped at 1.65mm......automotive coils :naughty::naughty::naughty:

you couldn't foul a plug if tried to :drummer:

as tested by CycleMagazine Echlin coils would jump a 32mm air gap.......more than that and the spark went through the insulator and rubber boot to the negative terminal of the coil ........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts