MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading a old thread about this from 2007. What is your opinions now? Has technology gotten any better or still use the standard plugs from the factory.

Reason for the question is I have the airbox off to clean the filter. It has been about 3-4 years since the plugs were last replaced after 1 went dead. Thinking I might just go ahead and place in new since she is apart and the weather will suck for the rest of the week. Not sure if I should replace the wires at the same time or not?

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Andrew,
Try NGK CR9EI-A plugs.
You'll need to contact your local bike shop and ask them to put aside some of the alloy seeds that screw into the top of the plug - these are not supplied with the CR9EI-A plug. I'll post up a picture when I get home.
Ciao,
Dave.

·
Administrator
19,518 Posts
Randrew, I'll get you the Suzuki part number for the Iridium plugs Dave refers to....best price out there, but you do need the "seed" or screw on cap to fit the MV coil/cap.....

And you have "stick" coils don't you? No spark plug wires to worry about......

·
Administrator
19,518 Posts
Suzuki Part Number # 09482-00558

NGK CR9EIA-9 MSRP $8.27 each

Will require sourcing some screw on "seeds"/ caps to go in MV coils and plug caps.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You should be able to unscrew the caps off the plugs you're removing and screw them onto the new plugs. Always nice to have new though.

Not sure I'd pull the washers on the new plugs. The washer on spark plugs is able to deform (crush washer) to a point making it a bit harder to over torque or directly damage the head when tightening and is essentially acting as a seal for the combustion chamber.

·
Administrator
19,518 Posts
You should be able to unscrew the caps off the plugs you're removing and screw them onto the new plugs. Always nice to have new though.

Not sure I'd pull the washers on the new plugs. The washer on spark plugs is able to deform (crush washer) to a point making it a bit harder to over torque or directly damage the head when tightening and is essentially acting as a seal for the combustion chamber.

Correct on the gaskets...that's what they are, gaskets.

Some plugs come with the caps soldered in place (the original plugs on the MV for example). You can't unscrew them.
You can order Iridium plugs that have the caps soldered on, but they cost significantly more than the exact same plug from Suzuki without the cap.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. Got the plugs now where can I get the caps. The plugs that I have are not able to be removed.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I went straight into a local bike shop and asked for some spare ones they had lying around. I was handed about 16 of them with no charge.
The thing is that some plugs are supplied with the seeds that can be unscrewed (are not soldered in place)and these are sometimes removed when they are not required.
Mechanics will put them aside in case they require them. If you call around you'll most likely find a shop with a stash of them.
If all else fails, Ed will most likely have access to millions of them.

·
Registered
938 Posts
OK, So the gasket removal was a joke.
Though I've never done it myself there are assorted gaskets of differing thicknesses to index plugs, as suggested by minime.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
NGKs

Andrew;
you can buy NGK Iridiums with solid tops

the last 4-packs I bought on ebay were $28.64 and $2.60 shipping

the NGK part # is 3521 with solid tops

here you go $27.35 free shipping;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NGK-3521-Iridium-Spark-Plugs-CR9EIX-4-PCS-NEW-/151248153371?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233717ab1b&vxp=mtr

$6.84 each in your hands and you don't have to deal with the asinine as you call them "seeds"

the last plug I used with those stupid screw on ends was in '68

:drummer:

·
Administrator
19,518 Posts
They're still used in most bikes... That is, no "seeds"
Anyway, that's a very good price Noel.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
OK, So the gasket removal was a joke.
Though I've never done it myself there are assorted gaskets of differing thicknesses to index plugs, as suggested by minime.
Haha, I figured it may not have been serious so was trying to keep it light. They are a pain to get off too :)

That is a good price for the plugs, though with the exchange and international shipping I'd get bent over the barrel unless I bought in bulk.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
We are expected to pay around $24 (about 20 USD) per plug here in New Zealand.
To hell with that.
Ed brought over 16 plugs in his luggage on his recent visit to NZ. Bloody legend.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
hey Dave;
tell them what tires for your Aston Martin cost in NZ vs here:wtf::wtf:

everybody sitting down?????

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts