MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finding the time and money to sort out my F4. Previous owner ummm not so good - lots of riding, minimal maintenance.
And so many stripped allen head bolts. so many red / pink aluminum bolts....
Going through fixing everything i can on my own.
The story so far

First few issues

Chain too tights ? on stock stand - prev owner got the chain adjusted at service centre ??? I think not.

Any idea where this yellow thing goes ? fell out when taking off front sprocket cover.

Some more pics
More red parts
Fuel leak fix
New air filter
rear brake overhaul
Bodis DE-CAT does not FIT !!!! Arrgh - Jack onto it tho - thanks mate
Oil leak #3
Metal fan blades - Rad support

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Finally finding the time and money to sort out my F4. . .
You have a great bike, Jason. Best wishes (and thanks) for bringing it up to scratch. The finished product - no matter how hard the work and how much the expense - will be your reward.:smile2:

·
Administrator
18,852 Posts
Chain is too tight !! no idea on the yellow thing....looks like maybe a seal? connector seal?

I think that plug goes to the EBS solenoid.....maybe???

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Very original rear break reservoir! If that was mine, I would be riding around wondering when the plug is going to pop out of the pvc pipe and piss paint stripper over my clutch cover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very original rear break reservoir! If that was mine, I would be riding around wondering when the plug is going to pop out of the pvc pipe and piss paint stripper over my clutch cover.
Thanks for the heads up, i used original style clamps based on stock reservior and Tygon 2375 tubing, but on second thoughts i think ill replace the squeeze clamp with a banjo clip.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This cant be good ...
Started cleaning up the mufflers and found what looks to be cracking. Other one is fine - Is this typical ? Are the mufflers stainless?

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,852 Posts
This cant be good ...
Started cleaning up the mufflers and found what looks to be cracking. Other one is fine - Is this typical ? Are the mufflers stainless?
Hmmm...doesn't look good. Yes, I believe your exhaust system is stainless. You would know if it was titanium !!!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The same thing happened to my set of RG3 pipes about 6 or 7 years ago and I got it welded. Still looks great. I gave him the bracket for fitment/clearance when welding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The same thing happened to my set of RG3 pipes about 6 or 7 years ago and I got it welded. Still looks great. I gave him the bracket for fitment/clearance when welding.
Thats a good idea - thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been there buddy, I bought my 2005 F4 and it’s been the better part of a year bringing it up to date on everything and taking care of all the known problems they have. One good thing about mine was it only had 5k on it and one owner so it was not all that bad.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

This cant be good ...
Yes, the cans are stainless
You need a TIG welder, 308 rod for the small hole, the rest is just a fusion weld
$15-$20:wink2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the cans are stainless
You need a TIG welder, 308 rod for the small hole, the rest is just a fusion weld
-:wink2:
Time to replace the 8 year old MiG you say... with a brand new shiny TiG you say....

AWESOME :)

Thanks for that Knurl :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

Jason;
Old school....constant current machine
Lincoln 300/300, 375 amps on the big end, been running it for 43 years, needed 1 O-ring in the water solenoid
so far:grin2:
Find yourself a drafting storage cabinet for rod storage this one is 38" long, perfect for rod storage
and shotgun barrels
Some extra rod......when they're selling it for $2 a pound you buy it!
Ti, Mg, Al, silicon bronze, Inconel, Monel, PH 17 all the same price>:)
They didn't have steel or stainless rod though:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just have it welded
I could, and many would say i should, but my dear Numbers where's the fun in that ??

And besides that, CLEARLY The Khurl has instructed me to buy a
BRAND NEW SHINEY 3 IN ONE WELDER WITH METAL INTERNALS THAT PUSHES OUT THE WIRE IN A CONSTANT MANNER AND PRODUCES FINE AND EFFECTIVE WELDS ! and ....... i can TiG as well - BONUS

That setup looks awesome Knurl - Your shed looks like fun. I love the old stuff - tools bikes guns cars n boats.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

And besides that, CLEARLY The Knurl has instructed me to buy a
BRAND NEW SHINEY 3 IN ONE WELDER WITH METAL INTERNALS THAT PUSHES OUT THE WIRE IN A CONSTANT MANNER AND PRODUCES FINE AND EFFECTIVE WELDS ! and ....... i can TiG as well -
Jason;
3 process welding machines make compromises......and usually aren't great at anything
TIG and stick use constant current
MIG machines use constant voltage

Look into an old transformer machine for TIG and stick, they're cheap and bullet proof and have MAJOR power
Yes, they're big and HEAVY......the good side, no fragile electronic bullshit
Here, you can buy the entire setup for $1,000-$1,400 machine, pedal, torch, bottle, regulator and water cooler
Plug and play
MIG the less electronics the more reliable, make sure it will use 25 lb spools
BUY TIP DIP AND ANTI SPATTER SPRAY, forget all the stupid tip scrapers
Get the biggest gas bottles you can......the charge for filling bottles is more than the gas
Use C-25 for MIG, not CO2 it's too messy
TIG, run Argon, buy a tank of Helium and wye the hoses together for thick aluminium, don't buy premixed

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jason;
3 process welding machines make compromises......and usually aren't great at anything
Thank-you Noel - Spent the last 2 days reading and watching and pricing and decided im going to get someone to weld it as im no where near being ready to do this myself.
I will however be dragging the weld pool after New Years :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts