MV Agusta Forum banner

821 - 840 of 854 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Once upon a time in the lucky country, having a convict in the family history was called 'the stain', and was a source of shame, that everyone wanted to keep a secret. Now, it is de riguer, and those who do are eager to be associated with some riff raff that got sent out to the end of the world for stealing a loaf of bread.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is the macstrine thread! Post limit....bueller? So that's how you have 10 times the post count as me haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm going to be posting one word in each post from now on to catch up to you and @italia

.....jk

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Your Top 10 Albums of this Century. Go ...

Here's mine (in no particular order):
  1. Rush: Clockwork Angels
  2. I Prevail: Trauma
  3. Badflower: OK, I’m Sick
  4. Fuel: Something Like Human
  5. Godsmack: When Legends Rise
  6. Lifehouse: No Name Face
  7. Slipknot: We Are Not Your Kind
  8. Staind: Break the Cycle
  9. Vertical Horizon: Everything You Want (December 1999 - close enough)
  10. Yellowcard: Ocean Avenue
  11. Beirut: The Flying Club Cup
  12. A Day to Remember: Homesick
OK, I know there's 12, but WTF

·
Registered
545 Posts
Your Top 10 Albums of this Century. Go ...
OK, I know there's 12, but WTF
Thanks, something to check out, most of them I have never heard of. Rush have a new album? Splendid.
Of this century? That makes it harder to be spontaneous, I will have to take that as a question on notice, and post tomorrow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't know about top 10 albums but I could tell you top ten artist.

Bucket head
Megadeth
Roykksopp
Disturbed
Trentemoller
Sash!
Killswitch engage
The knife/Fever Ray
Antonio vivaldi

So a mix of Electronic and Hard Rock

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I don't know about top 10 albums but I could tell you top ten artist.
I grew up in a time where you bought a LP album in vinyl, listened to sides A & B over and over again, in order. Some songs appealed to you right away. Others you grew to appreciate and end up liking more than the songs that initially struck you. Artists developed albums with great care, choosing songs to include, eliminating songs to leave off, and painstakingly ordering them in a way that best told the story of their work on that album.
Fast forward to the days of being able to download single 'tracks'. The album is de-emphasized in favor of releasing tracks that can be hits, because too many people only want the hit tracks, and don't want to explore the artist's complete work, let alone try to appreciate the manner in which the 'album' was developed and laid out.
Not saying this is you @Figifister, but I have many friends who haven't downloaded a full album in years, if ever. And now that streaming services are taking over and downloading is going away, the streaming of 'playlists' of hits are reducing the music industry to a shadow of its former artistic self.
That said, I still listen to albums, in the order in which the songs are laid out. I still want the artist to speak to me about their work.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
There are artists not listed in my Top 10 (12) above that I feel are better bands than some of those on the list. They're not included because, to me, they just haven't put together a complete album that speaks to me, or is as much of a complete work. The albums on the list are ones which I feel have been put together in a way that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
That Rush link above is for Clockwork Angels, the entire album playlist. Enjoy.
Great album. Saw them on this tour in May, 2013 in Nashville. They played 8-9 of the songs on this album coming straight out of the intermission. Neil Peart was particularly proud of this album. The alchemical symbols (runes) on the cover were a specific interest of his.
Meaning of Rush’s Clockwork Angels Runes
"Neil has said he based Clockwork Angels loosely on Voltaire’s Candide
, which is a tale of an adventurer who is born into the most unfortunate circumstances and finds himself in the most outrageous situations, yet with native optimism and smarts, he always finds a way out and even ends up wealthy and on top of the world but then gives all that up to live a simple life. Neil takes a different approach. His story is about a young man (named Owen Hardy in the novel) who was happy enough growing up on a farm but when he became a man he yearned for adventure. So, he sets out for the city, has a series of adventures, and through it all he maintains his native optimism, despite witnessing the worst kinds of betrayals and cruelty. As his twilight years approach, he returns not to the farm of his youth but to a plot of land on which he and those close to him wind down their days cultivating a garden. In the end, he’s loved and respected, which is all you can hope to achieve in a world that, despite what we’re told, is not governed by any overarching plan."

·
Registered
331 Posts
I grew up in a time where you bought a LP album in vinyl, listened to sides A & B over and over again, in order. Some songs appealed to you right away. Others you grew to appreciate and end up liking more than the songs that initially struck you. Artists developed albums with great care, choosing songs to include, eliminating songs to leave off, and painstakingly ordering them in a way that best told the story of their work on that album.
Fast forward to the days of being able to download single 'tracks'. The album is de-emphasized in favor of releasing tracks that can be hits, because too many people only want the hit tracks, and don't want to explore the artist's complete work, let alone try to appreciate the manner in which the 'album' was developed and laid out.
Not saying this is you @Figifister, but I have many friends who haven't downloaded a full album in years, if ever. And now that streaming services are taking over and downloading is going away, the streaming of 'playlists' of hits are reducing the music industry to a shadow of its former artistic self.
That said, I still listen to albums, in the order in which the songs are laid out. I still want the artist to speak to me about their work.
While I understand were your coming from....I listen to music based on my mood and what I want to hear. I take the complete opposite approach to music. I take the words and listen/interpret the song based on what I want it to say to me. There have been several songs that I didn't know what exactly the words the person was saying, so I looked it up and then regretted it. What I thought they were saying "to me" was different than the message "they" were portraying. And the same can be said vise versa. I found out what they said and liked the song more based on what I wanted the song to mean to me. At the end of the day I'm listening to the music for me and no one else.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I would also think you are listening because of the artists who created the works, listening for them as well as yourself, as someone who may appreciate the backbone of the creative process. Most works of art are not created just for the sake of product but all that goes along with it to bring it to fruition. Like MV. --"l'art pour l'art" is a dead horse discussion. That said the oft complexities of music and personal association are often hard to talk about, including the beauty, inspiration, and even horror exhibited in his thread of sharing. Good job MV moto heads for exhibiting the willingness to present past and present works/ideas. 🙌

·
Registered
545 Posts
A most interesting conversation, thanks fellas, I tend to agree with Kevin, but I certainly take Arizona's point. Music is so subjective, I went to the theater one night, a play about Greek history, because the story included rebetika, or Greek blues, which I wanted to hear. Most enjoyable, fascinating story, and I told a Greek colleague about it. She lent me a CD, which I thought, given our conversation, would be rebetika, but was in fact Greek pop.

I buy CDs, and don't currently download music, downloads require a great deal more data than I have access to, we don't have a need to be on a 'plan'. If I keep playing youtub clips it might be cheaper to go on a plan.

We moved away from the best radio station in the world, and my pal who was a music reviewer retired, and is now mostly into dub reggae. Consequently, my sources of new music have dried up somewhat, my contemporary jazz, ambient jazz and classical music collection has grown and my default favourite style of music, guitar rock has stagnated. I really appreciate you fellas posting clips, especially of bands that I have not heard before, so I can explore further.

In good news, I hear that Mr Bungle are releasing their first album in decades.

My 'this century' album list reflects the above. I won't do a Tennessee ten, but a Tassie Ten. There are a coupla cheats in here, albums that are made up largely of 1980-90 material but released this century, or bands from the 80s/90s that are still about. About half of these would be on my favourite all time album list. In no particular order:
  1. Alex Stuart: Place to Be
  2. Aram e Jan and Ava Group (Persian music)
  3. Necks: Townsville (or any of their numerous ambient jazz albums)
  4. Local H: Whatever happened to PJ Soles
  5. Killing Joke: Absolute Dissent
  6. TISM: Best of Retrospective Works 86-02
  7. Front End Loader: Laughing with Knives
  8. The Quickening: self titled
  9. The Quickening: White Blossoms
  10. Hilltop Hoods: Drinking from the Sun
  11. Fleet Foxes: Sun Giant

·
Registered
545 Posts
Speaking of pop, a bit of wishful thinking. If you are observant, you will see an album cover at the beginning of this clip that would definitely be in my top 10 of all time albums.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
I buy CDs, and don't currently download music, downloads require a great deal more data than I have access to, we don't have a need to be on a 'plan'. If I keep playing youtub clips it might be cheaper to go on a plan.
A tip from an old guy
Skip the plans.....
Buy an external hard drive
2 TB is $150 or less
Split the hard drive into 2
Look up the old RAID 1 system
You'll never lose 3 hard drives at once
Look at WD or Seagate they'll even Bluetooth to your device
I have 9,500 just blues songs on my baby one
Its old and uses USB ~ little thicker than my phone

·
Registered
545 Posts
A tip from an old guy
Skip the plans.....
Buy an external hard drive
2 TB is $150 or less
Split the hard drive into 2
Look up the old RAID 1 system
You'll never lose 3 hard drives at once
Look at WD or Seagate they'll even Bluetooth to your device
I have 9,500 just blues songs on my baby one
Its old and uses USB ~ little thicker than my phone
Thanks Noel, I will look into that. You're not old, just not as young as you once were. At least that is my excuse. We reviewed our data use since lockdown yesterday, zoom meetings and my burgeoning playing of music clips is making our pay as you go data purchase more expensive than necessary.

821 - 840 of 854 Posts