MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys. So I rode my '06 speed triple to mcc outside chicago on saturday for their open house.....and left with a '10 1090RR. The day went by like a blur. I vaguely remember demoing the Brut, then having my girlfriend push me to buy it...

I really loved my s3 and especially the low rev torque, but it was time for something new. The suspension, slipper clutch, power delivery, brakes and sound of this bike are incredible. If I had been more well off I might've kept the s3, but as they say "out with the old, in with the new".

Were moving to New England soon (southern Maine), so I won't have the luxury of being so close to an MV dealer, but I'm hoping the quality of this bike will stand the test of time and wont require me to hit the shop in Boston.

You guys dig the '10 1090RRs?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
welcome.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I felt like I knew all the idiosyncrasies of my S3. Are there any common things with the 1090RR? It seems like they worked out the SPU problem with that model. Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the bike. I was at MCC open house in the morning. Great people. I rode in on my 2010 1090RR, which I bought from MCC. I love mine and have no issues with it. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i have the same model and its fine.

yes the spu has been worked out not many complaints on the 2010 design. just keep the rear axle bearings checked every 3-4k miles and you should be fine.

also if the bike has not already, maybe have a good shop sync the throttle bodies and double check the a/f ratio and such.

my bike had a bit of low end choppyness to it, and when i brought it in for the 7500 mile service the shop took a look at it and adjusted both, and it runs much smoother now and doesn't do a bounce on startup with the rpm of stalling out at times. that is fixed. all it needed was to be tuned right it seems. but that is my bike not sure if yours will have the same issues.

also the 2010 had a soft recall with the shifter spring, if it has not been done yet, bring the bike into an authorized dealer to have the shifter spring replaced under warranty, it was a service recall, the euro guys know about, it but the usa guys you had to ask the dealer to do it and then when they would check it was something that was replaced free of charge. basically instead of a spring being made of round stock it was made of a slightly square stock and is a little stronger than what they put on at the factory.

good luck and have fun, remember the bike is great when going over 50 mph.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have the same model and its fine.

yes the spu has been worked out not many complaints on the 2010 design. just keep the rear axle bearings checked every 3-4k miles and you should be fine.

also if the bike has not already, maybe have a good shop sync the throttle bodies and double check the a/f ratio and such.

my bike had a bit of low end choppyness to it, and when i brought it in for the 7500 mile service the shop took a look at it and adjusted both, and it runs much smoother now and doesn't do a bounce on startup with the rpm of stalling out at times. that is fixed. all it needed was to be tuned right it seems. but that is my bike not sure if yours will have the same issues.

also the 2010 had a soft recall with the shifter spring, if it has not been done yet, bring the bike into an authorized dealer to have the shifter spring replaced under warranty, it was a service recall, the euro guys know about, it but the usa guys you had to ask the dealer to do it and then when they would check it was something that was replaced free of charge. basically instead of a spring being made of round stock it was made of a slightly square stock and is a little stronger than what they put on at the factory.

good luck and have fun, remember the bike is great when going over 50 mph.
Thanks! Whats the best way to check the bearings? I have a paddock stand that worked for the S3, but I think I need to replace the pin, as the diameter of the rear axle is bigger on the Brutale. I will contact MCC regarding the recall! Sounds like this bike is reliable, which is great (not that I expected it wouldnt be). You know how high performance euro bikes can be sometimes :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome! Congrats on the bike. I was at MCC open house in the morning. Great people. I rode in on my 2010 1090RR, which I bought from MCC. I love mine and have no issues with it. Enjoy yours.
Aw thats awesome! I gorged myself on the free food then demo'd the Brutale... I had absolutely no intention of trading in my bike, but you only live once!

They are nice guys and I think I got a decent deal on the bike. We are moving in a few months, so I'm hoping that Cycles 128 in Boston is also decent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sweet man! Congrats on the trade! (I think I might have test ridden that bike a bit ago, dont worry I was gentle) Did you deal with Niketa (sp?) cool dude. Solid sales and service there. Good luck with the move

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

slap, slap and bitch slap:drummer:

Thanks! Whats the best way to check the bearings? I have a paddock stand that worked for the S3, but I think I need to replace the pin, as the diameter of the rear axle is bigger on the Brutale.
well having a rear stand won't help......you have to remove the axle:stickpoke

use 'search' there are plenty of hub threads

you will need a 43mm pin

:popcorn:

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Welcome to the family.....doesn't the 1090 have the newer design hub? Don't believe you need worry so much as with the older design, although doing the recommended maintenance is required (as it is on any bike you plan to keep and enjoy). Check the maintenance schedule in the owner manual.

And DO NOT over tighten the chain or hub pinch bolts.

MV makes great bikes. Reliable and easy to work on. Enjoy your new ride, and be safe out there!

·
Super Moderator
22,618 Posts
Aw thats awesome! I gorged myself on the free food then demo'd the Brutale... I had absolutely no intention of trading in my bike, but you only live once!

They are nice guys and I think I got a decent deal on the bike. We are moving in a few months, so I'm hoping that Cycles 128 in Boston is also decent.

Hey Killcity...I live a tad south of Boston. Cycles 128 is in Beverly and that is where I go for routine maintenance. Give me a jingle or a PM when you are in the area and I'll introduce you to Gido and Paul and Steve and the gang at 128.

When are you moving this way...and to where? Pity you missed the tuning week as it is just finishing up. I'll have numbers on my wife's '10 1090RR after the weekend.....

Welcome,
Chuck

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet man! Congrats on the trade! (I think I might have test ridden that bike a bit ago, dont worry I was gentle) Did you deal with Niketa (sp?) cool dude. Solid sales and service there. Good luck with the move
Thanks man. I dealt with JB who gave me a decent deal. Still getting used to the slightly different riding position and seat. The only thing I've noticed is the pegs are slippery as hell and my right foot sweats like crazy! Also, the torque curve is a little different since its a 4.
The sound of that motor is heavenly!

I did notice a bolt that had come loose that holds the right lower side of the radiator to the frame but it's blocked by the headers (hex bolt). I'll have to figure out how to get at it.

Overall it's a huge upgrade - just hoping to avoid jail!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Might be a good idea to check all the guard and body panel screws. Some (like the upper chain guard screw) have a tendency of backing out.

These bikes definitely make speed limits seem too slow by half. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
The standard footpegs are best replaced with the oberon ones, much better, the hub on mine is still good @ 14,000 miles, been re-greased once. Top rear chain guard needs properly seating on the front location rubber dowel and then tightened, loctite and star washers are a good idea. Take out the air box snorkels. Get rid of the standard mirrors.

Far more aggressive to ride than the speed triple and just about better in every way apart from the speed triple is easier to ride slow?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts