MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there... I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction with a parts search. I'm looking for a complete swing arm assembly for a 2006 F4 1000. A friend of mine has a wrecked bike that I'm thinking about picking up and rebuilding as a track bike. I can find just the swing arm and just a handful of the parts to put one together but I can't find a complete swing arm.

I'm sure I can get one from the dealer but I don't want to know what that's going to cost. I'm hoping to find a complete swing arm used and in serviceable condition.

And that's it. Aside from a brand new one from the dealer anyone know where I can get a used one or where I can search.

Thanks for your time,
Scotty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The magnesium is really hot and tempting. A little expensive for a track bike though. Looks like you only get the swing arm and some of it's smaller components. The parts I can't find are the sprocket/rotor carrier and axle assemblies. Looks like eccentric hubs are a dime a dozen as well as the rear caliper bracket.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey there... I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction with a parts search. I'm looking for a complete swing arm assembly for a 2006 F4 1000. A friend of mine has a wrecked bike that I'm thinking about picking up and rebuilding as a track bike. I can find just the swing arm and just a handful of the parts to put one together but I can't find a complete swing arm.

I'm sure I can get one from the dealer but I don't want to know what that's going to cost. I'm hoping to find a complete swing arm used and in serviceable condition.

And that's it. Aside from a brand new one from the dealer anyone know where I can get a used one or where I can search.

Thanks for your time,
Scotty
I remember reading somewhere there was a racing team that had Six spare swing arms from the factory that they couldn't use because they wanted them 15mm longer or something.
Worth chasing or researching. Someone here on this forum should know who that was?
They were magnesium from memory so still could be expensive.
Stiv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly I could afford a magnesium swing arm but the money I would save with an aluminum arm will go to the other parts I need to save this bike.

The guy low sided the bike going into turn 1 at Roebling. When it hit the grass it tumbled into a yard sale. He's planning to part out what's left of it. Obviously the bodywork is trashed but the front and rear suspension is done too. Even the wheels are beyond repair. I asked him to hold off until I can figure out if it's salvageable. So far everything is fairly easy to get except for the swing arm parts. The arms themselves are in abundance even. Magnesium and aluminum both. I've been searching like crazy for a complete arm but haven't had any luck. Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The race team sounds like it has potential. Any more info on that?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
With that degree of damage you describe in comparison to what MVs are going for on the aftermarket don't see anyway you could rebuild the bike for less $$$

I hate Roebling road!

Chris

Honestly I could afford a magnesium swing arm but the money I would save with an aluminum arm will go to the other parts I need to save this bike.

The guy low sided the bike going into turn 1 at Roebling. When it hit the grass it tumbled into a yard sale. He's planning to part out what's left of it. Obviously the bodywork is trashed but the front and rear suspension is done too. Even the wheels are beyond repair. I asked him to hold off until I can figure out if it's salvageable. So far everything is fairly easy to get except for the swing arm parts. The arms themselves are in abundance even. Magnesium and aluminum both. I've been searching like crazy for a complete arm but haven't had any luck. Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The race team sounds like it has potential. Any more info on that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Under normal circumstances that would likely be the case but the guy is practically giving me the bike. I think he just wants to wash his hands of it. He doesn't sound to motivated to start parting it out. I definitely can't get a used bike for what it would cost to rebuild this one. But this bike will never see the street again, no doubt about that.

·
Administrator
21,082 Posts
The only parts that are usually missing from the basic swingarm would be the rear axle assembly (pivot bearings, seals and spacer come in replacement swingarm).
The hub and spindle are parts damaged by poor bearing service/improper chain tensioning and thus normally not sold with a swingarm or easy to find used.
Sprocket carrier, brake disc, etc, rarely replaced (hence good used readily available).
I think your best bet is to get the bare swingaram and source the hub/axle and associated bits by themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only parts that are usually missing from the basic swingarm would be the rear axle assembly (pivot bearings, seals and spacer come in replacement swingarm).
The hub and spindle are parts damaged by poor bearing service/improper chain tensioning and thus normally not sold with a swingarm or easy to find used.
Sprocket carrier, brake disc, etc, rarely replaced (hence good used readily available).
I think your best bet is to get the bare swingaram and source the hub/axle and associated bits by themselves.
That makes a lot of sense. I think that's what I'm going to go with. My only concern in that case is assembling the hub/axle improperly. I've been studying the blow up diagrams on MV's site. It looks fairly straight forward. I haven't looked yet but I'm sure torque specs are easy to find for it.

I guess at some level of laziness I wanted to find a swing arm already assembled so I could just bolt it on. Wish in one hand and... yea... you know the rest.

I appreciate everyone's assistance and input with this. Hopefully I can get this bike up and running again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts