MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to buy an XR1200 and kit it out for a couple of race outing in this years “Rolling Thunder” series..

Okay the Cat is now out of the Bag, let the P*SS taking begin !!!!!:stickpoke

This series will be supporting the BSB rounds, and I intend on entering a few rounds on the circuits in which I feel most comfortable with, and have a decent chance of getting some results.:jerkoff:

Problem I have, is I know nout about Harleys and even less about the new XR1200..

My local dealership can sell me the bike, but doesn’t know where to import the various trick parts, or who to contact about finding out more with regards to race experience on this model..

However, he is very helpful if I wanted to be kitted out in Leather tassel clothing and studded bike luggage. :banghead: :humpother:stopp:

Have any of you guys (especially any forum members in US or Italy) have any useful information or experience with regards to racing this model..

I always dreamed about owning one of the original Triumph motorcycle conquerors.. The XR750, but never managed to have the funds to buy one when one came up for sale. This has always been a very rare American race icon, and fetches huge sums on the open market. :mouthwate

This is my chance to kind of live one of my ambition, even if it is through the new generation of the second coming of the XR’s..

Here are a few pictures of what I’m trying to achieve, and has anyone had any experience in racing one of these machines, or know of someone who has??.. There is very little info of these bikes over here in the UK..

Any info would be appreciated, especially problems with this model, and where to source race parts.. :yo:

Cheers
JDS

PS: Have attached a picture of the original XR's

Attachments

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I think that thing looks pretty bad ass. I remember when you told me what you were going to get, i looked it up and thought it would be a fun bike. I look forward to pics of you out on the track!:f4:

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that thing looks pretty bad ass. I remember when you told me what you were going to get, i looked it up and thought it would be a fun bike. I look forward to pics of you out on the track!:f4:
Cheers Chris..

I wished my wife saw this in the same positive light.. She is giving me hell about this little adventure..:spank:

·
Registered
93 Posts
£13k buys you the bike and race kit as well as branded leathers,
then aprox £1800 race entries and aprox £2300 for tyres.
i think its a ten race series with £50k prize money and you get to race against the likes of makenzie, witham, rutter.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
For modding, start with the engine, which is a basic Sportster 1200; Should be plenty on that.

WIcked bike, btw--I'm jealous :mouthwate

I have to say--It does look funny to see sliders on a Harley

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did a cafe mod a few years back to a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200s. See pic. I think it was a 1998? I used a Zippers Performance Super Hammer kit, Works Performance shocks, Race Tech modified stock Showa forks and a myriad of other changes. It was fun. But you know the saying about "lipstick on a pig"...? I did not race it. I just scared the hell out of myself, small children and old people on weekends with the thing. Good luck and enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
If you want to talk to the guy who raced XR's and as has spent alot of time making Sporties go fast and handle well get ahold of Dan Baisley at Baisley performance (google it). He's the guy who makes the heads on that cafe bike in my album. XR style only out the left instead of the right. Another really good Skirtster guy is Eric Storz at Storz Performance. He supplies a kit to convert a stock 1200 into an XR750 lookalike. The whole deal. And if they can't help they can point you to people who can. There's a thousand, and I mean a thousand, guys here in the states who can set you up with anything you want. And they're damned good too. Just start with Dan and Eric and follow the leads.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
well lets know which rounds your doin and ill come n see ya .........................and try not to laff!!!!:naughty:....... but seriously well done mate for havin ago, but i wudda thought it would be subscribed to bursting. unless youve already got an entry. bo on the bsb forum they have a special section for it any info will be there:penguin:............. dunno why i put that it just looked funny lol

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£13k buys you the bike and race kit as well as branded leathers,
then aprox £1800 race entries and aprox £2300 for tyres.
i think its a ten race series with £50k prize money and you get to race against the likes of makenzie, witham, rutter.
Cheers for the info pgm.. I saw the same brief right up in MCN, but haven’t been able to get any other infor from my HD dealership.. Basically they wasn’t interested, and just wanted to sell me a standard bike..

Are you doing the series ???

I don’t fancy the branded race leathers, that’s definitely one for Ebay.. :jerkoff:

I assumed that there was a restriction on what you can do with these bikes hence the race kit package from Harris Performance http://www.britishsuperbike.co.uk/article.asp?article=1754

Other info here
http://www.britishsuperbike.co.uk/article.asp?article=1753

and here
http://www.britishsuperbike.co.uk/article.asp?article=1751

Good luck

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.. Top man..

It's very much a controlled series in the UK, with very limited allowed in terms of tuning to keep the costs down (thank God)..

Thanks for those links, they are very helpful indeed and gives me some points of contact..

If I manage to pull a package together we could be pit neighbours, but I warn you now of possible commando manoeuvres to nick some of your fuel supplies.

Please let JS know that he is not forgotten, and I’m trying to get his parts ASAP.

Cheers
JDS

If you want to talk to the guy who raced XR's and as has spent alot of time making Sporties go fast and handle well get ahold of Dan Baisley at Baisley performance (google it). He's the guy who makes the heads on that cafe bike in my album. XR style only out the left instead of the right. Another really good Skirtster guy is Eric Storz at Storz Performance. He supplies a kit to convert a stock 1200 into an XR750 lookalike. The whole deal. And if they can't help they can point you to people who can. There's a thousand, and I mean a thousand, guys here in the states who can set you up with anything you want. And they're damned good too. Just start with Dan and Eric and follow the leads.

Cheers Lee..

I googled them guys and they certainly know their stuff.. At the end of this project, I wanted to use this XR1200 as a road bike, and these guys have some really nice parts for this model.. Cheers Lee for the info..

I though you would have taken the opportunity to rib me about getting a Harley, as I know Ade C will. You can’t go to far with the Michael taking, as I see you have some heavy iron in your own bike collection..

PS: The reference to “Iron” is motorbike and not the Cockney slag term “ Iron Hoof”

well lets know which rounds your doin and ill come n see ya .........................and try not to laff!!!!:naughty:....... but seriously well done mate for havin ago, but i wudda thought it would be subscribed to bursting. unless youve already got an entry. bo on the bsb forum they have a special section for it any info will be there:penguin:............. dunno why i put that it just looked funny lol

Thanks Devilboy..

You can come along and help me pick up the pieces as I junk the bike coming out of the Devils elbow at Mallory..

If you take the P*SS out of me mate, I’ll get the Harley Chapter of the “Anal Buckaneers” to give you a right Rodgering.. (they always go in DRY :cry:).. They’re a right tuff bunch I’ll have you know.. :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Anal Buckaneers? That's great!

Rump wranglers, and Butt pirates I've heard of, but of course it is your language we've bastardized it.

CAG

·
Registered
528 Posts
JD..

Have you got a list of who's entering this series.. i hear some top names ....

Good luck m8... i have a good gennie and heavy duty awning if ur interested.. ;-)

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wot's an "iron hoof" eh?
Iron Hoof = Poof..

Poof = bum bandit

bum bandit = sausage jockey

sausage jockey = receiver of swollen goods

receiver of swollen goods = fudge packer

fudge packer = leather dyke queen

leather dyke queen = Skin Flute player

Skin Flute player = lavender boy

lavender boy = walker on the Brown Side....

I'm sure that answers your question Lee..

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
The Real Deal

Fuck me Johnny (Metaphorically speakin that is)

:jsm:

I think Lee should get the general idea about what an "Iron Hoof" is now!! :stickpoke

I drooled over this MoFu at the NEC show in 2006..............I'd have one of these "Bad Boys" tomorrow if I could afford one mate believe me!! I wouldn't have bothered my sorry ass taking these pix otherwise, this baby is the real deal

:smoking:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I got it. Thank you. Don't get the connection but so what?

That XR appears to be set up for dirt track, wot? This fellow Storz here in the states will sell you everything you need to convert a stock XLCH to an XR.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Google "mert lawwill street tracker" for his new xr. Nice!

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Brand New XR 750's in the New York area.

I have a pal who is a journalist for Cruiser magazine and is also an author of motorcycle maintenance books and a flat track racer of some note himself.

Anyhow he is absolutely positive that he knows the whereabouts of quite a number of "Brand New" XR 750 Harley's still boxed in their crates.

They are apparently located in the New York area and are genuine purpose built flat trackers with total loss ignition etc

I was over with him in Danbury in 2004, at which time a price in the region of $25,000 was mentioned, but the guy who owns them is very fussy to whom he sells them as he doesn't need the dosh.

:jsm:​

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Iron Hoof = Poof..

Poof = bum bandit

bum bandit = sausage jockey

sausage jockey = receiver of swollen goods

receiver of swollen goods = fudge packer

fudge packer = leather dyke queen

leather dyke queen = Skin Flute player

Skin Flute player = lavender boy

lavender boy = walker on the Brown Side....

I'm sure that answers your question Lee..

CAG

1 - 20 of 30 Posts