MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my BMW tow vehicle "blasphemy" might be in full effect soon (project thread)...

A while back (before Bubba) I started shopping trailers before Carl graciously offered to shuttle my bike back and forth. My plan was to tow the bike behind the BMW 328 wagon (which will probably cause shock among the Americans and a 'duh' among our foreign members).

Now, though, I am expecting some free time in the fall and next spring and I think more track days are in order (along with a need to trailer Jennifer's scooter in for service).

So, my search begins anew and I I may have found the solution. A cheap as chips and, more importantly, simple and light utility trailer from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

Its leaf-sprung with big wheels so it should be a great bed for bike. Its 252# alone. Think adding some plate/wood for the floor, anchors and a chock would still keep it at or below 300#. That coupled with the bike would be well below 1000# and should keep it well within the 200# tongue/2000# tow capacity of the hidden hitch available for the BMW. It also folds up for easy storage.

I think it will be a fun project and I might end up with a Kendon like trailer for less than 300# and $1000 while giving up some of my relatively cheap time. Ill admit its not totally original, its been done before:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/327645-much-overdue-harbor-freight-trailer-thread-long-pics.html

·
Super Moderator
22,447 Posts
My friends have an X-3 with that "Hidden Hitch". It works a treat and they pull and enclosed 7X12 traier with two bikes: a Yammy FJR1300 and and FZ-1. No worries.

Just make sure you are paying attention when the BMW Tech shows you how that hitch attaches and detaches....it is tricky if you don't remember.

·
Registered
842 Posts
........My plan was to tow the bike behind the BMW 328 wagon (which will probably cause shock among the Americans and a 'duh' among our foreign members)...........

Yup, it's just another euro-box - the majority of the BMW "Tourings" will have a tow-bar fitted over here :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I hate to sound snobbish, but I wouldn't put a $500 saddle on a $100 horse. Most of the stuff from harbor freight is junk. Fine if you are banging nails with it, but I would be afraid of anything like a trailer from them.

There is a company that makes a sweet fold up trailer and I've seen them at many track days towed with the same vehicle you are using. I can't remember who though.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I hate to sound snobbish, but I wouldn't put a $500 saddle on a $100 horse. Most of the stuff from harbor freight is junk. Fine if you are banging nails with it, but I would be afraid of anything like a trailer from them.

There is a company that makes a sweet fold up trailer and I've seen them at many track days towed with the same vehicle you are using. I can't remember who though.
Talk with Puny Juney....she has one. Is it a Kendon?

BTW, Carl prefers to ride bareback....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No doubt but Im not blazing a trail with this. Doing some searches people have been going this since 2006. Since then they have improved the trailer design (bigger wheels/bearings) and multiple bikers have made trailers out of it.

The reason I am going this route is because its a simple flatbed trailer with no configuration, which is one reason its cheap as shit. I plan on replacing the moving parts (bearings and the like), doing my own wiring and welding all but the fold-up parts and beefing up the fold-up parts.

Then, using that as a base, building one to my specifications.

Its not really about saving money on the trailer, my big issue is anything built for motorcycles is built for far bigger bikes than mine (or multiples) and, as a result, are quite heavy. The only ones that come close like the Kendon are 10x the price and still an extra 100lbs despite being considerably smaller and not being re-configurable.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I have one that is just like it. Mine came for redtrailers. Not sure if they are even still in business. I have placed a couple thousand miles on mine with no problem. With my old house I loved the option of standing the trailer up to store it. When I get to the new house that will not be an issue any more.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
....With my old house I loved the option of standing the trailer up to store it. When I get to the new house that will not be an issue any more.

for the obvious reason that you'll have sold that F4 for drapery money.......:thewife:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have one that is just like it. Mine came for redtrailers. Not sure if they are even still in business. I have placed a couple thousand miles on mine with no problem. With my old house I loved the option of standing the trailer up to store it. When I get to the new house that will not be an issue any more.
Hi Andrew..how's the new house coming along? Do you have a move in date yet?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Hi Andrew..how's the new house coming along? Do you have a move in date yet?

He's gonna tell you Labor Day.....I'm betting Halloween. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like they are and, low and behold, its the exact same trailer but with a re-designed tonque:
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=2

They still sell the one with 8 inch wheels but Harbor Freight stopped selling those (probably because there is no advantage to stocking one with smaller wheels that burn out bearings).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts