MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
. . . And at the time I think the MV 750 F4 was £14,000 and the Suzy GSX-R 750 £7500.
And that, I am sure many of us will agree, is why we could not buy MVs at the time, but can do so now because the second hand market and our improved life positions MAKE them affordable. ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I completely agree with the statement that the 750'ies can be very smooth on the throttle -- It seems like quite a few of them, even running the stock 1,6M ECU just happen to match up somehow .. My SR (SPR engine) has a very smooth linear power delivery, no dips or peaks that can be felt riding it fast on road or track no "snatchy throttle pickup" .. -- But it is running rich at low revs/open throttle -- stinking rich that is .. and fuel economy is just silly .. The level of power available is just about right for me ..

·
Registered
995 Posts
On public roads the 750 is perfect for me. It has me in license losing territory EVERY time I ride it. Would consider a new 1000 but only for the track.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
And that, I am sure many of us will agree, is why we could not buy MVs at the time, but can do so now because the second hand market and our improved life positions MAKE them affordable. ;)
Couldn't be more right if you tried Nige. I never thought I would ever own one when I first saw one at the London bike show back in 2000, we all just drooled.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
But it is running rich at low revs/open throttle -- stinking rich that is .. and fuel economy is just silly .. The level of power available is just about right for me ..
Does this explain why I think my MV750 is dirty at the back end, or is this just the 4 pipes at the back end? I get yellow deposits on my number plate which are a pain to get off, I presume some sort of un-burnt fuel deposit and fine black soot on the passenger seat.
If I am presuming correctly then a Microtec ECU or even a better map on a Epron would give better economy and a cleaner arse(not mine the Italian Mistress's).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes -- the Rear exhaust pipes and the numberplate gets all the unburnt/partially burnt fuel -- Like 12 years of tobacco smoke coating in your chainsmoking grandads living room -- :LOL:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Does Merc07 still offer upgraded chips? I’ve been researching options. Not ready for an upgraded system and a day at the dyno. Not yet anyways. Haven’t really found any testimonials regarding chip replacements. I realize it’s really an old bike and many have moved on to other, more modern bikes. Just thought I’d shake the tree and see what falls out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When I bought the bike, the dealership had maybe a half-tank of alcohol -free gas in it. Bike ran good. I brought it home and rode it until the low-fuel light came on. I put 3 or 4 gallons of 93 octane in it. It had 10% alcohol in it. It ran fine. I felt bad having gasohol in it, so I drained it out. A 2nd - rate gas station had 91 octane alcohol-free gas, so I tried it. My wife complained how bad it smelt as she followed me around the block. That’s when I adjusted the fuel trim. It responded badly to my adjustment. I readjusted the fuel trim and drained the gas. It smelled real sweet, or sour. Not only the gas, but the exhaust, also. So I made my own gas. Got some BP 93 and poured it in a 5 gallon glass water jug. Poured 3/4 gal of water in and mixed it up. After an hour expired, I siphoned out the water that had settled on the bottom. I then put some octane booster in it from 104+. Bike never ran better.....
And the exhaust smells better.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Bob, will you continue to make your own? What happens by adding water with the intent to remove it? I guess a chemistry lesson is needed... 🤷‍♂️

·
Vendor
5,371 Posts
Don’t understand why you are fiddling around with fuel so much.MV’s are tuned for 95 octane unleaded fuel.Can you get that where live with low ethanol %.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I’m fiddling with fuel because here in N. Illinois you cannot get alcohol - free fuel. Well, one station offered it for almost a year (the one I tried), but it proved to not run so well. It clearly was not a “top-tier” blend. Plus, I’m waiting for my lift to show up. I need something to do in the meantime....
93 unleaded with 10% alcohol is as good as it gets here. So I made my own fuel (so to speak). Bike runs great now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
1) The steel gas tank won't like water
2) There's no difference between 91 and 104, since these bikes have no knock sensors and won't adjust timing. Anything E10 - E15 blend with be strictly better on that front, since ethanol has much higher detonation point

The only thing you'll be seeing is that ethanol blend has slightly less energy per the same unit of volume, octane booster certainly won't fix that since it's usually some sort of a methanol/ethanol mix for the reason mention in 2).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I’m using this product....

I have a 66 GTO with 12:1 compression. It makes a difference. Right now, I’m just playing around till my lift comes in.

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
Don’t understand why you are fiddling around with fuel so much.MV’s are tuned for 95 octane unleaded fuel.Can you get that where live with low ethanol %.
In the USA we use R+M/2 octane ratings... no such thing as 95 (unless you are using a race fuel). Your 95 is equivalent to our 91.

I use 90 octane E-0 gas (fortunately easy to get at the Shell station 1 mike from home). Bikes run great.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts