MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing is, it’s not that uncomfortable. I like it better than the 1098, the S1000rr, the 2014 Fireblade, and the Brutale 1090rr. Why? I don’t know. Maybe because it’s the bike “I wanted”...? Either way, I enjoy it. The powerband and character of the engine appeals to me. It’s so docile until the revs climb to about 7k, then something changes and there’s anger and shrieking. Is it a brute like the 1098 or S1000rr? Nope. And I think that’s what I like about it. You have time to enjoy the “wind-up”. The other two bikes just catapulted you into the stratosphere before you knew it (which has its appeal). But, honestly, that wouldn’t suit my riding environment. Where I live, there’s no traffic, no stop signs, just wide-open country. I think the 750 is ideal for me out here. Don’t get me wrong, I think the bike is fast. It’s actually more fun due to its nature. You get to work the bike up to speed. And you don’t just find yourself going fast. And then there’s that sound. My O my...the sound. I love it. The fueling is smooth. There’s no snatchyness. It’s got that on-off throttle abruptness like my 03 Victory Vegas has. But I’m ok with it. It’s kind of an early fuel injection thing that reminds me of it’s age. No problem. There’s more to say, but, I’ll stop there for now. All I can say is, I think I know why they made it a 750 from the start. It’s very endearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
But the fueling/ignition timing is absolutely horrible in stock trim, has it had some work done to it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have NO experience regarding these bikes. Mine is the 1st one I’ve ever ridden. I did ride a 2013 Brutale 1090rr. And I’d say my F4 runs as smooth as that bike did. Except, the Brutale stalked occasionally at stop lights. My F4 doesn’t stall. It starts just fine. Isles just fine. And accelerates from a dead spot very smoothly. The throttle feels very linear to me. Almost like my 84 Interceptor 1000.

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
The 750's do have a certain appeal. Especially if you know maximum horsepower is not all that important unless you are drag racing. I love my SPR 750 on the track. Fun to ride and I don't scare myself as quickly as on a liter bike.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nice read. I’m a big fan of 750’s, although I just scooped a 1078, part of me would like a 750 still, I like being able to really work a bike and not be carrying stratospheric speed in doing so. 750’s have more than enough to entertain but not get you into too much trouble. They really are fun.

The thrust on the 1078 is incredible when it’s wound up but it almost builds speed faster than revs!! It’s fantastic, but license threatening when you’re in the danger zone, yes because I have Kenny Loggins in my head when I open the taps because it feels and howls like a fighter jet!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
By the way you you should def move up the rear shock link - it fixes the geometry issue with the bigger tires.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The older I get, the more terrifying my F4 gets right along with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originally intended on getting the 1078. A red & silver bike it had to be. I just couldn’t make it happen. A couple of 750s popped up, though. So I watched some videos. Did some reading on them. And admitted to myself I might like that version. It was the test drive that sold me. Let’s admit it. Gazing upon the bike is half the fun of owning it! Secondly, is it enjoyable to ride? Yes it is. What helped me decide on the 750? Riding that S1000rr. That bike has no character. The 1098 Ducati had TONS of character. And the Brutale 1090rr just was too smooth, almost Honda-like (really? I just wanted an F4...). Actually, it just came down to this bike was only 2hrs away. It was red. It had only 2900 miles on it. It was a clean, stock example. The price was right. And the fact that it’s the bike Tamburini designed. He created a 750. Not a 1000. Why? I don’t know. He could have chosen a 1000 I assume. But, he didn’t. There’s something to that I believe. And after riding the 750, I felt the connection. I really thought I wanted a 200hp bike. I rode one and no longer felt like it was a priority. Funny how things work out.....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad you liked it Bob. I understand the bit about having to work it a bit and feel the speed build, some don't like that and want to just twist a throttle in any gear, others find it more rewarding having to work the gears.

I also like how mine gets that angry sound and feel later in the revs, a bit like a 2 stroke.
Some will say that almost any bike is bad news regarding the law and whilst at times I would like 200 horses, I know I can scream the bike to near redline a little and not be doing really silly speeds. Mine is only 111 RWH but it's enough to have some fun for an old timer like me.

Never rode mine stock so I can't say what their like. Mine is a dyno'd Power Commander III with Silmoto not so silencers. If you lived near we could play swapsie's for a ride that would be interesting.
My view is it seems a little crude but quite rideable.

I like your description of the early Injectors, kind, you don't mind it's not a problem and easy to live with. I often wondered about this, I'm torn between thinking my bike has that old character and that if I go down the new ECU Microtec route it could be super smooth and linear all the way. But I am not sure I need that as I cut my teeth on the naughty 2 strokes. And yes I understand the Microtec ECU could be set up to scream just like a 2 stroke with 50% of the power in the last 3000 revs but what is the point. I think I can live with it's slightly crude edge for another 10 yrs.

If you like sound Bob, here is the RGIII's:
and slash tip version:
here is the Motorcorse:
cored stock pipes:

you may be perfectly happy with the stock sound without feeling the need to tamper.

·
Registered
325 Posts
...And the fact that it’s the bike Tamburini designed. He created a 750. Not a 1000. Why? I don’t know. He could have chosen a 1000 I assume. But, he didn’t. There’s something to that I believe. And after riding the 750, I felt the connection. I really thought I wanted a 200hp bike. I rode one and no longer felt like it was a priority. Funny how things work out....
You’ll be very pleased to know that there is something to that, Tamburini was quoted;

Tamburini summed up his design philosophy by saying, "The ideal one would be a 750 with the power of a 1000 and the weight of a 500. You don't need a huge amount of power on a road bike, but it's important to have light weight as well."

:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
^ I was gonna chime in with the same. I was specifically looking for an early 750, since I've got a 916 already and wanted something smaller and more nimble. I'm hoping to get to something like 375lbs with the oro wheels, carbon body work and exhaust.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last Tuesday it was hot & humid (92). I went around the block (22 miles) and saw the bikes temperature at 174. The next day it was 85 and less humid, but not by much. The bikes temperature only went to 167. So, ambient temperature does have an effect on these bikes. Never had a bike that displayed its actual temp before. No big deal. And yes, the rear brake “went away”....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
^ I was gonna chime in with the same. I was specifically looking for an early 750, since I've got a 916 already and wanted something smaller and more nimble. I'm hoping to get to something like 375lbs with the oro wheels, carbon body work and exhaust.
Is that reasonably possible, do you mean 375lbs wet? R1Andrew I think has got down to around 400 with his Mona Lisa and that took some effort and money.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You’ll be very pleased to know that there is something to that, Tamburini was quoted;

Tamburini summed up his design philosophy by saying, "The ideal one would be a 750 with the power of a 1000 and the weight of a 500. You don't need a huge amount of power on a road bike, but it's important to have light weight as well."

:)
Well shame he wasn't very successful towards his ideal because the stock bikes are not that fast and their definitely heavy, real shame about the heavy alternator unit compared with how Suzuki dealt with it with their 750 of the same year, talking about early release around 2000 I think.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
Yeah, Suzuki or MV Agusta......no choice.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Holy shit is that loud!

Hey Bob, what's loud, do you mean the cored pipes vid? If so here is a vid comparing the stock pipe and the Bodis at different speeds. Some folks on here with the Bodis fitted do love the sound they make:

I saw your pic of your standard ECU, but we don't know if you have a bog standard eprom in their. It may have for example have one of Merc07's improved maps on it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yeah, Suzuki or MV Agusta......no choice.
Do you mean Chuck that between the 2 makes who would want the Suzy? If you do then I remember the reviewer at the time stating the MV is nearly twice the price, 7 hp down, and quite a lot heavier, but I'll still take the MV if I had the money. And at the time I think the MV 750 F4 was £14,000 and the Suzy GSX-R 750 £7500.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts