MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've put about 1200 miles on my 1078RR now. I've been riding it about 3 weeks so my wife and I have been doing regular little trips on it. The previous owner did a great job of getting the bike properly set up. The fueling is great and it drives wonderfully. I am probably going to change the suspension settings a little, though. The suspension is great for just me but I do most of my riding 2-up. Any suggestions as to what I might want to change to account for a passenger?

Also, I am going to have to buy tires soon. I'm thinking I should buy an axle socket to take to a local shop since they aren't likely to have one. Is that correct? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/gutsyperformance/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=40%7CMV%20Agusta%20Store&productID=366&showDetail=1&categoryID=324|MV%20Agusta%20Tools&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=40%7CMV%20Agusta%20Store

Also, today I was cleaning the bike and noticed that my water pump seal seems to have been weeping some coolant. Where can I buy the replacement seal?

And finally, where can I buy the metal fuel connectors to replace the plastic ones that I read are prone to cracking?

Oh yeah, another thing! I bought the Motovation frame sliders that look like roller skate wheels but the inserts that go into the frame don't fit my bike. The sliders say they are for "750/910 S/R All Years" - does the 1078rr have differences in the frame or should they fit?

Sorry for all the questions! :blah:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I've put about 1200 miles on my 1078RR now. I've been riding it about 3 weeks so my wife and I have been doing regular little trips on it. The previous owner did a great job of getting the bike properly set up. The fueling is great and it drives wonderfully. I am probably going to change the suspension settings a little, though. The suspension is great for just me but I do most of my riding 2-up. Any suggestions as to what I might want to change to account for a passenger?

Also, I am going to have to buy tires soon. I'm thinking I should buy an axle socket to take to a local shop since they aren't likely to have one. Is that correct? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/gutsyperformance/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=40|MV Agusta Store&productID=366&showDetail=1&categoryID=324|MV Agusta Tools&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=40|MV Agusta Store

That will do just fine mate

Also, today I was cleaning the bike and noticed that my water pump seal seems to have been weeping some coolant. Where can I buy the replacement seal?

These guys can help you with seals http://store.proitalia.com/mv_agusta_oem_parts.php

And finally, where can I buy the metal fuel connectors to replace the plastic ones that I read are prone to cracking?

Send this guy a PM (Personel message) http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/member.php?u=3135

Oh yeah, another thing! I bought the Motovation frame sliders that look like roller skate wheels but the inserts that go into the frame don't fit my bike. The sliders say they are for "750/910 S/R All Years" - does the 1078rr have differences in the frame or should they fit?

Hope this helps mate, add some pics of those sliders, I would have thought they should fit.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Are you sure it's the seal and not the header overflow ? It's not uncommon for the header to barf a bit of coolant once in a while and the pipe on mine (a 750 so I could be barking up the wrong tree) it right next to the water pump...

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my 1078RR. I assumed it had sat around without being ridden, but maybe the coolant/water pump issues are more common than anticipated?
What else should I look for while the shop still has it?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my 1078RR. I assumed it had sat around without being ridden, but maybe the coolant/water pump issues are more common than anticipated?

I once in a while have this same issue. it seems to be an uncommon thing. Once-in-a-while it decides to weep, usually it doesn't. When I change the coolant this winter I'll change that seal as well.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Any suggestions as to what I might want to change to account for a passenger?
Yep........buy a different motorcycle that is better suited for two up riding.

I love my Brutie, but not in any kind of two up fashion. Riding two up on a Brutie is kinda like asking Jerry Rice to play offensive tackle for the 49ers. He'd give it his best...........but I don't think Joe Montana would have been very happy!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it's the seal and not the header overflow ? It's not uncommon for the header to barf a bit of coolant once in a while and the pipe on mine (a 750 so I could be barking up the wrong tree) it right next to the water pump...
I didn't realize the overflow was next to the water pump. Mine did belch a little coolant a while back - that's probably where the stains came from! :) I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep........buy a different motorcycle that is better suited for two up riding.

I love my Brutie, but not in any kind of two up fashion. Riding two up on a Brutie is kinda like asking Jerry Rice to play offensive tackle for the 49ers. He'd give it his best...........but I don't think Joe Montana would have been very happy!
Hmm. What exactly is it that you don't think is suitable for 2-up driving? I would like to get a Corbin seat and maybe add some padding to the pillion but it's pretty good as-is. Are you thinking only Goldwings are suitable for passengers?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi Guys

I once in a while have this same issue. it seems to be an uncommon thing. Once-in-a-while it decides to weep, usually it doesn't. When I change the coolant this winter I'll change that seal as well.
It is not a "common problem", but it does come up now and again. Before you assume it's the waterpump seals, make sure it's not just the coolant overflow from the headertank.
This little black pipe sit's just behind the waterpump and get's people into thinking it's the waterpump "tell tale" hole that's weeping. If, especialy in the case of the Brutale's, you have a bit of coolant coming out the overflow hose, and not the pump, then chances are your coolant level was a bit on the high side. This is a very common thing for people, even dealers, to do. Do not fill the level higher than the LOW level and it should be fine, since Brutale's don't usualy have the F4 heating problems.
If it is the seals on the waterpump, then take it to the dealer for a quick seal replacement - or do it yourself, easy job and well documented under the maint section for water-impellar change I think.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Hmm. What exactly is it that you don't think is suitable for 2-up driving? ....... Are you thinking only Goldwings are suitable for passengers?
No, certainly not. Right now, I'm thinking my new Concours is at the top of the food chain for two up riding. I'm not one for 900lb. bikes.

Kidding aside, I love my Brutale, and I love my wife, but not together.

Just my opinion.....which matters not one bit. It's your money.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, certainly not. Right now, I'm thinking my new Concours is at the top of the food chain for two up riding. I'm not one for 900lb. bikes.

Kidding aside, I love my Brutale, and I love my wife, but not together.

Just my opinion.....which matters not one bit. It's your money.
I asked my wife about buying an ST1300. She adamantly stated there was no way she was going to ride on an "old man bike". I figure the Brutale isn't much different than riding my old CB750 in terms of comfort. Yeah, the seat has less cushion but it's perfectly comfy otherwise. People didn't used to expect to ride down the road on sofas.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It is not a "common problem", but it does come up now and again. Before you assume it's the waterpump seals, make sure it's not just the coolant overflow from the headertank.
This little black pipe sit's just behind the waterpump and get's people into thinking it's the waterpump "tell tale" hole that's weeping. If, especialy in the case of the Brutale's, you have a bit of coolant coming out the overflow hose, and not the pump, then chances are your coolant level was a bit on the high side. This is a very common thing for people, even dealers, to do. Do not fill the level higher than the LOW level and it should be fine, since Brutale's don't usualy have the F4 heating problems.
If it is the seals on the waterpump, then take it to the dealer for a quick seal replacement - or do it yourself, easy job and well documented under the maint section for water-impellar change I think.
Mine was spewing about an ounce after longer rides, and it even began spitting at red lights, so I have to assume it could have been dripping while driving too. As I ride canyons (and coolant on the rear tire in the twisties could be fatal) I took it back to the dealer. I was told it was just an overflow issue at first, and went with it, but the last time I shut down you could actually hear bubbling/gurgle noises. I don't think there should be air in there??? While I'm concerned about it and hope this will be resolved, it didn't run hot ever. As long as it was breathing it stayed at 180 plus or minus 2 degrees. I really don't know the difference between acceptable and dangerous, so I prefer to err on the side of caution. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
mines been doing it off in on since I bought it. its like it fixes itself for awhile, then I notice a drop or two and a couple dried white lines on the bottome of the pump where it weeps. Mind you this is a weep, not a puddle or leak. There will be one or two drops sometimes, most of the time nothing.

I'm going with its seven years old, and for the first 5, it travelled 1000 miles, not good for seals to sit like that, so I'll just replace this summer. For most, it probably is just the overflow filled to high.:blah:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Had mine for 7000km now. It puked from the overflow when new. Settled down once the coolant came down to just under the minimum (checked when cold).
I notice it gurgles sometimes for 10-20 seconds after I stop in hot conditions (fan running at idle).

Mechanic who I ride with said not to worry when I asked for his opinion recently about the half teaspoon amount that it dropped on the petrol station floor. (We had been travelling very briskly ;) )

·
Registered
659 Posts
too much? (PS sorry for the thread jack, but I thought the infinite forum wisdom might help both of us together)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That's more than I ever had, but in saying that mine was not overfilled by much. If it is only happening after you have stopped I would suspect that it is overfilled. Have you checked the level?
Mine has about 3/4" in the header tank when the bike is on the axle stand - the minimum level according to the manual.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mine leaked tiny bit coolant (teaspoon) at the back of the vertical hose - every night when it cooled down after riding - Really looked like it was the waterpump but new upper clip and was sorted - found it by wrapping paper towel around and checking every hour...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
too much? (PS sorry for the thread jack, but I thought the infinite forum wisdom might help both of us together)
Mine puked much more than that when I first got it. But then I never noticed it doing it again. And it has never run hot.

·
Registered
73 Posts

http://www.e-securedsite.com/gutsyperformance/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=40%7CMV%20Agusta%20Store&productID=366&showDetail=1&categoryID=324|MV%20Agusta%20Tools&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=40%7CMV%20Agusta%20Store

Are you kidding? the guy that sold you that bike did a perfect job of setting it up! hahaha Glad to see your enjoying it John.

RIP Marco

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mine is still in the shop awaiting a new rad cap and water pump. Who knew on a used 09 1078 RR this is warranty work. If the parts ever arrive from Italy I'll let you know how it does post repair.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts