MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say I love my very high maintenance F4 and the community.

I feal that Ducati guys seem to always be snobs though (in certain places).

Don't get me wrong it's a total generalization, but in Seattle and Portland they were always the non-bike guys that bought Ducati. Akin to the Lamborghini owners of the 90s.
They would look down on anything non italian and were generally douches.

Now mind you I have A friend here ok Florida (where I reside now) that is a Duc guy and breaks those molds.

I feel they are a very trendy brand for people that think " it is the Ferrari of bikes" for which we all know is really the F4.

Anyway it's all fun, 2 wheels are always better than 4!

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bike snobbery always makes for an interesting debate and for comparisons with the car world.

Personally, I'd prefer that my bike isn't referred to as a Ferrari of motorcycles as I really don't think that is where MVA are .... and I'm happy for Ducati to try and claim that link.

I see my F4 as being like a McLaren - unique and truly bonkers (but still mainstream ish).

And draw parallels with MVA and Maserati . Italian, rich racing heritage but have lost their way a little and no longer have a supercar / superbike.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I like it when you say " I have an MV Agusta" and people say " What" if you say Ducati they say "Oh"

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think generalizing is always going to get you in trouble . . . especially when a lot of MV owners also have Ducatis ?‍♂. That aside, I’ve never been a twin fan. Now that Ducati has the V-4, however, I may be interested! I owned a 2001 Honda Interceptor and loved that bike. Torquey, sounded amazing, and was really comfortable to ride. The Italian bikes seem to draw out some extra guttural need to ride them (And LOOK at them!). Whoever owns one, regardless of brand, I can sympathize with. It’s an addiction that has no cure.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ah heck I used to own a 2-stroke Bultaco... it was the best bike ever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like it when you say " I have an MV Agusta" and people say " What" if you say Ducati they say "Oh"
Exactly! Most of my friends (even those who ride) have never heard of MV Agusta. I posted a photo of my F4 and one friend said, "R1, very nice."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Years ago when I rode Beemers the owners were very click-ish. I had an R100 RT air cooled touring bike with carb's. When the K bikes came out, if you had a 4 cylinder K, you fit in and were allowed to ride or speak to others who owned other 4's. If you had an R or one of the 3 cylinder 750 K bikes you were nothing more than a stinking pile of dog poo on the side of the road to them. But the same went for the 3 cylinder 750 crowd. They spat on the R owners and the K 100 owners. Both crowds had utter disdain for anyone else. Some Harley people are OK, and some are very snobbish. The snob's are the ones who only ride to bars and such, never ride any more than 1'000 miles per year, wear their brand new Harley leathers etc. Who cares really, I don't have the time for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After a million years I finally built a decent shop for my stuff. I own a bunch of bikes but my faves are the Italian stuff. Last week some young guys stopped by and they immediately began raving about a pretty little '93 Ducati 900SS (Red) sitting between a '13 F3 (Red/Silver) and an '06 F41000S (Red/silver). Furthermore, sitting on the lift was a B4 910. The only thing they noticed about the MVs were the 4 pipes on the F4. One of the guys asked me if the Duck was fast. I said "about as fast as 80 hp can propel it". Another guy said "I didn't know that Suzuki was doing red" (Looking at the F4). I've got an MV flag hanging on the wall...one of them said, "what's an MV?". I pointed out mine, to which the same dude replied, "You should get a Panigale, man." I smiled and said "Had one two years ago, but I got tired of seeing myself coming down the road. Ducks are sort of like sportbike versions of Harleys". In truth, I've never had a Panigale, but couldn't resist making the comment.

They didn't get it, nor should I have expected them to. I'm an old guy and remember the MVs of the seventies. Wanted one so badly but didn't have the money. In the late nineties when Castiglioni put MV back on the map and launched Tamburini's masterpiece, I still didn't have the bucks to do the deed, but a few years later, my financial situation improved and I got into the game. I'm glad I did. Yep, you have to buy special tools, and yep, they're finicky about maintenance, but there is not another bike on this earth with the total presence of an MV. Just stock extra electronic parts for the eventuality.

In short, I love Ducks, but I still prefer riding a bike that occasionally gets this comment; "Man, I've only seen these in magazines.". It's very cool riding the bike that Cycle World called "Sex for sale".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly! Most of my friends (even those who ride) have never heard of MV Agusta. I posted a photo of my F4 and one friend said, "R1, very nice."
I call my '05 F4 "an Italian GSXR".

Performance-wise the Augusta pulls and corners the same, (yet better) as my '01 GSXR1000. The differences are cosmetic; the lower clipons, single-side swingarm, underseat exhaust and sexier bodywork.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I forgot about the Harley connection. I should probably go out and get an Armani riding vest.
HA!
more OFF-Topic irony....I have the Harley "Cafe Racer" from 1977-79, An XLCR1000, which was made by American Machine and Foundary...AMF, of Bowling Alley Pin Spotter fame

·
Vendor
5,222 Posts
When I first got my F4 1078,I went for a ride day with the shop I bought it off.
We were parked outside a pub for a lunch stop.
2 guys came out of the pub and walked over to my new bike and said does Hyosung make those and I said no
MV Agusta does and one guy said it is amazing what the Chinese are making now.WTF.
I walked away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HA!
more OFF-Topic irony....I have the Harley "Cafe Racer" from 1977-79, An XLCR1000, which was made by American Machine and Foundary...AMF, of Bowling Alley Pin Spotter fame
Joel1952, I remember when the XLCRs came out in '77. Even though they were heavy, slow, and about as nimble as an English stone fence, I thought they were super cool. Today, I think they're hyper cool and regret that I didn't buy one. Of course, 1977 was only two years after the time I wanted the MV America (My financial situation was still in the johnny-flusher). Regardless, it's always good to have dreams.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ain't that the truth. The group of old farts I ride with (I'm an old fart too) had no idea what it was when I showed up with the F4 a few months ago.

·
Registered
886 Posts
In Aus I find Harley riders the most unfriendly. In the sportsbike world I generally find Ducati riders to be the most useless per capita. A higher percentage (than Jap bike riders) of Duke riders here are the ones who bought the big HP numbered bike then turn up at the track thinking are are gonna smoke everyone then find themselves in the beginners group blasting the straights and running wide into the corners :) Alternatively to others here I have found alot of people are very interested in my little old 750. It is rare a ride goes by where someone doesn't ask about it. Whichcan get a little tedious.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts