MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently own a Dragster RR 800 triple, and plan on keeping the bike as it is a gem. For about a year I have pondered adding a Brutale B4, the one with the higher handlebar geometry. I passed on a local B4 910 due to lack of ABS.

For me, ABS is a must have technology (save your breath arguing about ABS brakes).
I want a quality used bike, USA only, well maintained and not a track bike.
Not necessarily looking rock bottom price.
Not interested in extremely modified bikes, but changes to increase reliability are excellent.
Prefer a bike that has been ridden by an owner, not a garage queen, not a mystery bike at a dealer.
Title required, two keys, manual, etc.

What years/models do you recommend that check the above boxes please? Are there years/models to avoid? Best places to look?

grazie

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
Any of the second generation Brutale B4s would be what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure ABS is not on available on any first generation bikes (I could be wrong on that, but I don't think so).

They are all pretty much the same well sorted machines...just different color schemes and levels of equipment. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any of the second generation Brutale B4s would be what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure ABS is not on available on any first generation bikes (I could be wrong on that, but I don't think so).

They are all pretty much the same well sorted machines...just different color schemes and levels of equipment. Good luck in your search.

May I ask which years are second generation Brutale B4 please? Could help search.

Grazie!

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
May I ask which years are second generation Brutale B4 please? Could help search.

Grazie!
2010 began the second generation 4 cylinder MVs....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2010 is the go forward date, most splendid indeed. That helps a lot.

Patience wins the game.

il mio cuore ti ringrazia

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Depending if you are an aggressive or more relaxed rider, pick between a 1090(R) or a 1090RR. While i like the upgraded components in the RR, as a street bike I prefer the engine of the base model. The RR makes more peak power, but the base model has more torque and a wider more flexible power band. To go the same speed through a set of twisties, you have to run the RR in a gear lower to keep the RPMs The base model's engine is really more enjoyable for average street riding, but the suspension can feel a bit soft. Now if you are an aggressive rider, like shifting a lot, and you do track days, then the RR is a better choice due to the upgraded suspension, better brakes, steering damper, adjustable pegs, and higher peak hp.

Note from 2010 - 2012 in the US there were 1090R and 1090RR. from 2013-2018 there were 1090 and 1090RR. the 1090R and 1090 are pretty much the same with the same engines. Only the RR models had the higher spec engine.

For me the ideal street Brutale would be an RR chassis with a base version engine - WITHOUT ABS!!! :crazyeyes:crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don’t think the 2010-2011 models came with ABS. They did come with hand welded frames, Ti valves, monoblocs, and more torque on the RR model.
2012 was the beginning of the mandated ABS. These came with 10 more peak hp, at the expense of lower torque. They lowered the sprocket ratio to compensate. Machine welded frames too, so a lot of buildup on each weld point. Visually the motor was no longer black.
At this point they still had the 5SM ecu and throttle cables.
I have never been able to pick the changeover time, but later models changed to ride by wire with the Eldor ecu.
Bear in mind that model years for USA don’t line up with European release years, so you should check carefully and look for the different disc and sensors on whatever you look at.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I don’t think the 2010-2011 models came with ABS. They did come with hand welded frames, Ti valves, monoblocs, and more torque on the RR model.
2012 was the beginning of the mandated ABS. These came with 10 more peak hp, at the expense of lower torque. They lowered the sprocket ratio to compensate. Machine welded frames too, so a lot of buildup on each weld point. Visually the motor was no longer black.
At this point they still had the 5SM ecu and throttle cables.
I have never been able to pick the changeover time, but later models changed to ride by wire with the Eldor ecu.
Bear in mind that model years for USA don’t line up with European release years, so you should check carefully and look for the different disc and sensors on whatever you look at.
100% +1

The 2013 (4-cylinder) Brutale models: Brutale 1090, Brutale 1090 R and Brutale 1090 RR, are now available in ABS versions incorporating two riding modes: Normal and Race Mode (and the option to turn ABS off if you'd prefer).

VIN Code should be:
ZCG B522BA (D/E/F/G/H) V NNNNNN (it's technically possible to find a "J " - but that would be very rare.

Noting that there might VIN coded bikes with "D" that are NOT ABS ...the tell tale black ABS sensor ring on the left front rotor is a clear guide if you're looking at pictures of the bikes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, 2013 B4, and still check ABS ring. Got it.

One last question please: my inseam is about 30 inches, what is the seat height of a B4? Never sat on one, and of course no dealer in Houston, TX... how does a shorter rider fit the B4? My Dragster RR is at my height limit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cycle Ergonomics

+Add a Motorcycle
MV Agusta
Brutale 1090 = 33.5 inch seat height
Brutale 800 Dragster RR = 32 inch seat height.

Gives ya an idea.
Thanks for reminding me of this excellent Ergo calculator. The result for me: forget a B4. I will not ride on toes with any bike. Damn. Hence why my Dragster RR is a fit, but at my limit.

Grazie!

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
I am 5'7" tall with a 30 inch inseam.....

I find the Brutale to be very comfortable and seat height is not a problem. My F4 is a tip toe bike, but the Brutale is not so bad.
Width of seat where your legs drop down is an important factor.

Pretty sure the newer bikes are no taller than my 910R. The 2011 1090 I rode was the same feeling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To give you an idea I'm only 5'7" and can have both feet down. My heels barely touch the ground but no tippy toes though. I came from superbikes so I'm used to this type of seat height. Far more comfortable though since it's more upright and still handles like a superbike. The best of both worlds. The riding experience makes up for the seat height for me. I recommend test riding one to truely know if it's the bike for you.

Thanks for reminding me of this excellent Ergo calculator. The result for me: forget a B4. I will not ride on toes with any bike. Damn. Hence why my Dragster RR is a fit, but at my limit.

Grazie!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for comments from other short inseam riders. Yep, I will look around for a local Houston, TX B4, and do a sit down, if that is in the cards. For now I won't hunt a bike down and purchase remotely: too much risk of a non-rideable bike.

It is frustrating being shorter and older. I have less leverage than taller riders, even those with similar 30 inch inseams.

Rodger on importance of seat shape, even how high the tail is on a bike.

Damn shame we no longer have a Houston, TX USA MV dealer.

Patience wins the game.

Molto Grazie...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
5'7" with a 29 inch inseam and no problems on the B4 with stock height. I say stock height because please notice, that the B4 come with adjustable ride height link so they can be LOWERED VERY EASILY to a ride height that you will have absolutely no problem with.
Caveat: I cant remember if the base models have a fixed link and only the RR have the adjustable link. But the adjustable links are readily available and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i am 5'7" tall with a 30 inch inseam.....

I find the brutale to be very comfortable and seat height is not a problem. My f4 is a tip toe bike, but the brutale is not so bad.
Width of seat where your legs drop down is an important factor.

Pretty sure the newer bikes are no taller than my 910r. The 2011 1090 i rode was the same feeling.
+1

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice 2012 R1090

This looks like a nice R1090 :
https://www.moto-forza.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7882666&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Personally I never rode a 1090, just a 800 Rivale which was very nice, but I was disappointed in the top end since I felt one needed to really wring it out and I could not cruise at 60 mph without the bike seeming like it was being strained. I wonder if the R1090 will cruise at 60 or 70 and feel like it is relaxed? Any comments?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts