MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had a few online discussions about riding in the high rev zone, like 10K to 13K where the power is off but the motor is smooth. Here is an excerpt...

Doughan, a Tuono rider: I must comment though.... when we are talking about an inline vs. any other configuration, playing on the "darkside" can be very advantageous. In particular, situations like we tend to ride in, where you might be able to use a single gear for for a stretch of 5,6,7 - 10 turns/straights, utilizing the little availbale HP post-torque before setting up for the next turn guarantees a smoother ride, and reduces the possibility to "F Up".

Twins, or "Triples" (especially triples), have a tendency to create a
bit of a "binding effect" post-torque. Then again, the powerbands are
a lot broader/wider, with these two, so using a single gear is the
more likely scenario.

Chris, also on a Tuono says: I would agree... when I had my Brutale, I would run a road called Piuma in second gear almost the whole way... it was as if I had an electric engine and the throttle was a rheostat. Roll on, roll off, brake, roll on. The RC51 on the same road I am using second and third... Something about inline4s is awesome regarding this ability to just use throttle.

What say you???

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I was watching a GP race when they posted Rossi next to another rider with thier throttle and gear positions. I noticed I was like Rossi in that he was in 6th, whereas the other riders were in 4th...diffference was, he was WOT while they were having to feather the throttle. Yet, he was still staying ahead and or pulling away...

I find myself doing that. Even though I could be in a lower gear, I find it more comfy to be in a higher gear without having to feather the throttle, then just downshifting quickly one gear upon exit. You lose no time really, as other people are having to UPSHIFT into 5th, whereas you're downshifting. Same result, just feels a little safer...atleast to me it does. All a matter of preference I guess...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts