MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a fantastic trackday where the agenda of the day was to have fun. Spent the afternoon working on driving off the corner on the edge of the tire. Learning the real meaning of point-n-shoot technique. I worked on picking up the throttle as soon as I turned into the apex then drive thru the apex while holding high lean angle until the bike points down the right direction of travel.

Reset my ergonomics on the 999R. The crash repairs took the setup away from where I was comfortable (And fast :) ). It was an incremental drift so I failed to notice. I spent the last 8 months banging my head against a wall trying to figure out what is wrong with my riding. A refocus on the fundamental seems to be ticket.

(In the first 3 pictures, notice how the outside riders carried more lean angle while traveling at the same speed as I. Also note that the last rider in black, Ryan, was someone I gave a lot of pointers to last year and now he is as fast if not faster than I am. :cry: )

Attachments

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Looking good David :smoking:

So when you say you reseted the ergonomics,you mean you got back to the 24,5º rake, 36mm offset on the 999R??

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tiago, the fundamental ergonomics for me is the foot and handle control. Vince, TAFFSPEED, did the last 2 crash repairs as such he setup the bike so he can test it. Vince, being 3 inches taller than me, leads to ergonomics issue. :)

Jack, you have excellent memory. The first 3 pics were taken in T1 and the last picture was taken in T3.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks like your having fun! I need to remember that as I head back to Willow Springs this weekend. I just installed a new quick turn throttle on the R1 and plan to take a few sessions to get used to it. So, do you think you noticed any difference from the new tank?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Chris, the bike is definately more nimble with the composite tank but the improvement is no where near switching to BST wheels from Marchessini forged Mg wheels. It's a major improvement, nevertheless as it takes almost 9 pounds off the top of the bike. Unfortunately, I seem to pick a mid-corner chatter in high speed sweepers. Soften up the front helped initially but as I picked up more corner speed, the chatter returned. :banghead:

(Edit: I gave the chatter issue some more thought and talked to a few people. As silly as it sounds, having 9 pounds off the bike might be a contributing factor to the problem. The logic goes like this, I like my suspension stiff but with less weight, it has becoming too stiff. So maybe with a few clicks here, a few clicks there...:) )

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, Pete!

(BTW, I was being sacastic about learning the point-n-shoot technique. When it comes to Ducati twins that technique doesn't apply. The proper way to ride an open-displacement Ducati is almost like a 250 2-stroke with sweeping line.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts