MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! so my 312RR is rinning strong, really strong!! but there are a couple of oil leaks and a water leak as well...
27032014882.jpg

27032014883.jpg

27032014884.jpg

27032014885.jpg

27032014886.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction here and tell me what parts I would need to purchase to fix theese small issues. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I too always have oil around the shift lever. Wonder if it's the shift lever seal that has given out. But it's also very close to te oil pan gasket and kickstand. Might be one or both.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'll take a shot at each one of these leaks!:

Firstly, the water pump. There is a hole underneath where the pump slots in that is supposed to permit water to drain out instead of contaminating the oil if the water pump's own seal leaks. However, it's possible that with heating cycles, very small amounts of crankcase oil could migrate the other way, past the seal and then drip out. Nothing major to worry about.

The water pump splits into two halves. Between them is a rubber o-ring. The two halves are pinched together by the three(?) bolts that clamp it to the side of the engine. If one of these isn't tight enough, or perhaps has threaded itself, then it's possible the two halves are not tight enough together to pinch the o-ring and fully seal it. But you would see water leaking and not oil. If it tightens up alright then you could always pull it apart and add silicon sealant.

Secondly the clutch slave sludge: The clutch salve is the same design and uses the same internal parts as the old Ducati 9x6/748 range. The piston seal can get contaminated really easily and pass microscopic debris past it into the fluid and graze the bore. This makes the clutch fluid blacken and causes leaks. Usually cleaning up the seal and bore occasionally help stem the leak. However, what I think the majority of the sludge you see is (and I've always got this on my 748, old F4 750 and new MY10 F4), is simply melting chain lube. It gets flicked off of the front sprocket and builds up inside the cover. It then gets heated up by the engine temperature and just runs down onto the side stand. Pulling off the sprocket cover (easy job) and cleaning out the gunk build up will help. If you use any kind of chain cleaning solution, this will inevitably also get flung off the front sprocket and dissolve the gunk build up, making it run.

Si

·
Registered
14,220 Posts
leaker?

Nico;
1st picture of the clutch slave might be chain lube(it is on mine) or a leaking slave smell the fluid you'll know if the slave is leaking

2nd picture of water pump the leak is probably from picture #3 or the drain bolt right below "can be seen"

4th picture don't think so

5th picture over flow hose dumps above there....reroute it and see if it stops......did you fill the header tank above MIN?

:popcorn:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too always have oil around the shift lever. Wonder if it's the shift lever seal that has given out. But it's also very close to te oil pan gasket and kickstand. Might be one or both.
does´nt seem to be that much of a problem right?? thanks!:yo:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take a shot at each one of these leaks!:

Firstly, the water pump. There is a hole underneath where the pump slots in that is supposed to permit water to drain out instead of contaminating the oil if the water pump's own seal leaks. However, it's possible that with heating cycles, very small amounts of crankcase oil could migrate the other way, past the seal and then drip out. Nothing major to worry about.

The water pump splits into two halves. Between them is a rubber o-ring. The two halves are pinched together by the three(?) bolts that clamp it to the side of the engine. If one of these isn't tight enough, or perhaps has threaded itself, then it's possible the two halves are not tight enough together to pinch the o-ring and fully seal it. But you would see water leaking and not oil. If it tightens up alright then you could always pull it apart and add silicon sealant.

Secondly the clutch slave sludge: The clutch salve is the same design and uses the same internal parts as the old Ducati 9x6/748 range. The piston seal can get contaminated really easily and pass microscopic debris past it into the fluid and graze the bore. This makes the clutch fluid blacken and causes leaks. Usually cleaning up the seal and bore occasionally help stem the leak. However, what I think the majority of the sludge you see is (and I've always got this on my 748, old F4 750 and new MY10 F4), is simply melting chain lube. It gets flicked off of the front sprocket and builds up inside the cover. It then gets heated up by the engine temperature and just runs down onto the side stand. Pulling off the sprocket cover (easy job) and cleaning out the gunk build up will help. If you use any kind of chain cleaning solution, this will inevitably also get flung off the front sprocket and dissolve the gunk build up, making it run.

Si
Right on!! thanks for the info!! in the winter time (june/july down here) I will take everything appart and replace the seals and orings

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nico;
1st picture of the clutch slave might be chain lube(it is on mine) or a leaking slave smell the fluid you'll know if the slave is leaking

2nd picture of water pump the leak is probably from picture #3 or the drain bolt right below "can be seen"

4th picture don't think so

5th picture over flow hose dumps above there....reroute it and see if it stops......did you fill the header tank above MIN?

:popcorn:
The leak in the first picture is deffinetly oil...
I do always fill the header tank above MIN, right to where the frame tube meets the tank (is´nt it suppossed to be filled up to that point?? or is it too much and I should just keep it at MIN??)

·
Super Moderator
21,464 Posts
Keep it at min.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The bad news is that neither MV nor Ducati sell that seal separately, only as part of a whole replacement slave unit. Hopefully someone here can advise you where to get a compatible seal. (I've always found it rather disgraceful that you can't buy a perishable part like that one its own!)

If you replace the seal, make sure you clean the bore also. Otherwise a new seal won't last as long as it should.

Si

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bad news is that neither MV nor Ducati sell that seal separately, only as part of a whole replacement slave unit. Hopefully someone here can advise you where to get a compatible seal. (I've always found it rather disgraceful that you can't buy a perishable part like that one its own!)

If you replace the seal, make sure you clean the bore also. Otherwise a new seal won't last as long as it should.

Si
I´ll try and look up the size of that seal! thanks!!

·
Registered
14,220 Posts
clutch slave seal;
its a 1 3/16" automotive brake master cylinder seal
GM's and Toyotas
0.825 ID x 1.200" OD x 0.200" wide

try KTM and BMW only they sell Brembo internal parts
OK Aprilia sells the slave seal for $26 but thats it

before anybody thinks everything is metric, check most Honda front M/Cs its cast in "1/2" "

Mercedes transmission input shafts were from day 1 .....1 1/8" 10 spline, just like my Chevy

·
Vendor
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nico - did you manage to cure the leaking oil? I think I may have the same issue....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nico - did you manage to cure the leaking oil? I think I may have the same issue....
NO I HAVENT! Like DONSY said, my clutch pushrod seal gone bad and it looks like too much work for me. I will get it done within the next month or two. I dont get to ride it that often.. I only ride on sundays 20 or 30 milles and wipe the oil off every time I stop home.
My water pump also leaks a bit but since its not really a big leak I havent done anything either. ITS WINTER TIME OVER HERE!! By august/september I should have everything fixed.
The other issue I got is my speedometer.. but I´ll get there too!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts