MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been happening a lot lately when going from 1st to 2nd and usually when I'm coming out of a turn. So much fun. Anyway, I adjusted my shift lever down a bit to see if maybe it's user error. Will see what happens on the ride home from work today.

Anyone had this issue in the past? If so, what fixed it? :)

·
Administrator
19,560 Posts
If it really is slipping out of second gear under load you have worn engagement dogs and a bent shift fork.

Just second gear? Only when accelerating? or during decel, too?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only slips out within the first second after shifting into 2nd gear under load. And usually when I'm in a right hand turn. It has never slipped out of gear during decel and only one time from 5th to 6th. All when clutch-less up-shifting. And it's usually when there's pretty girls around...

I adjusted my shift lever (well, the little pad, anyway) down and shifts did feel more positive. We'll see, though.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Nick;
it's more than likely you.....if you move right when turning right...

you're straightening your knee, so you need to lift your toe higher

did lowering the peg help?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really hoping it's my fault. On my ride home I didn't have any issues, but it's not a constant problem, it's random. I'll post up after riding tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was wearing high top Chuck Taylors today, so I'm sure that didn't help. One of the few times I wasn't wearing proper riding boots. Figures. Also doesn't help when I've got the Bodis on now. Everyone within city limits can hear my missed shift.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, new to the forum but I have experienced this issue before. From what you have described, you have a damaged second gear. One bad upshift (for what ever reason) and a hand full of revs will bur the dogs on the gear! It often happens when you are trying to snick second while doing a wheelie and don't select second correctly. ;-) Good luck with it. Cheers Raph

·
Registered
24 Posts
On another note. When ever I get new boots or a new bike I adjust all my pedals, levers and controls to suit my size and style. Having to lift you foot to select a gear encourages poor gear changes which can result in Burred cogs. ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Slipped out of gear

I had an issue while riding yesterday on the highway. I was going about 120-130 mph and down shifted from 6 to 5 and when I accelerated, the bike did not feel like it was in gear fully as it was not accelerating but it was making a rattling "turning over" noise. I have never heard this before. This lasted about 5-10s and rider behind me states he heard the noise as well and saw flames coming from my pipes. After slowing down to 80 mph bike went back into gear I'm guessing and all was well. Any thoughts from forum members?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your gearbox couldn't work out what gear it wanted to be in, I was trying to select one. More solid shifts, up or down and this shouldn't happen again. Q. is your gear lever positioned for firm gear changes? Cheers Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your gearbox couldn't work out what gear it wanted to be in, I was trying to select one. More solid shifts, up or down and this shouldn't happen again. Q. is your gear lever positioned for firm gear changes? Cheers Ray
Thank you for your input!

My gear lever is stock. I haven't messed w it. Is there something I can change to position the lever for firm gear changes?

Also, I accidentally left the choke on half way while riding, would that have any effect on this issue?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Thank you for your input!

My gear lever is stock. I haven't messed w it. Is there something I can change to position the lever for firm gear changes?

Also, I accidentally left the choke on half way while riding, would that have any effect on this issue?
It's not a choke, it just opens the throttle a little bit to increase idling, and will have no affect on your gearbox.
To adjust the gear lever, remove the bolt holding it in place pull it from the shaft, and drop or raise it one tooth. You can also adjust your footpegs, have a look.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
?

junroc;

your foot pegs are adjustable for height.....

the toe peg is also adjustable....

you rode your bike with the fast idle lever activated?????

your bike is done...... I'll give you $500 for it :naughty::naughty:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts